Coconut oil

Options
I keep hearing about how coconut oil is good for you, but I dont really understand what types of stuff you can use it for...anyone have any ideas?!

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can sautee your veggies in it or use it to cook eggs. Just be careful, it's high in saturated fat!
  • hfgilbreath
    Options
    you can use for cooking and baking instead of vegetable oils. It can also be used as a lotion. If you get the virgin oil, it can be taken medicinally to help when you are sick. It can kill viruses and bacteria.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Always thought it was one of the worst oil for the healt ? where did you hear it was good ?
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can search thru blogs on here but I do recall one of my MFP friends posting a blog about coconut oil a while back, it was very informative. If you can find it it will answer all of your questions.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Coconut is one of the most healthy fats you can consume. It can be used for pretty much anything, including skin moisturizer-works wonders!

I love to use it when baking-it can be used to subsitute for butter or any oil. The coconutty flavor adds depth and dimenstion to any baked goods. LOVE, love, love it in my pancakes. I use nutiva extra-virgin olive oil.

If you want to use it for sauteeing veggies or in something more savory, you will want to buy expeller pressed which doesn't have the coconut flavor.
  • aschoenen
    aschoenen Posts: 9
    Options
    Coconut oil, milk and water are all great for your skin. If you get virgin coconut oil from a health food store you can use it externally on your skin, you can cook with it, you can even put a little in your coffee or in your hair. I don't know if Hirundo is correct about "heat" that was not my understanding as it is great with heat. Partially hydroginated coconut oil is HORRIBLE for you and is typically heavy in popcorn "butter" from the theater.
  • Michi63
    Michi63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would research on the CDC, FDA or other website for more information. Antidotal information is not really going to give you the information that you want. :flowerforyou:
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Put it on your toast instead of butter! MMM
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I put it on toast, in tea, in banana bread, use it to fry eggs... it can be used anywhere you'd use butter, and it adds a delightful aroma to any baked goods.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Oh, wow, no, Coconut oil is the BEST fat nutritionally-here are some links to some articles that can explain it better than I can.

And go to your local library and check out the book "Real Food" by Nina Planck-fabulous!

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

http://www.ionehealth.com/nutrition-health/coconut-oil-health-benefits.htm (This one is SO good and informative-read it!!!)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I use it when cooking instead of olive oil (which I primarily use in un-cooked applications, i.e. salad dressing or drizzling over veggies). My favorite is to use it to pan sear salmon or chicken breast. It also makes a great dressing with a bit of lime juice, cilantro and garlic.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    It is a very good fat for you. You can read up on it at a lot of websites or on the back of any jar of it or of Coconut milk.
    I use it in smoothies sometimes or in baking
  • nobo
    nobo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The New York Times ran a great feature earlier this year on it. Describing some of the pros/cons, and describing the different varieties. Here's a link to the article - which includes some recipes, including one for roasted sweet potatoes. (I've tried that, and it was great.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Always thought it was one of the worst oil for the healt ? where did you hear it was good ?

It actually is one of the best for cooking because when used at higher heat, it doesn't become rancid. Here is an awesome list to look at and decide what oil works best for you.

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/guides/tips_cooking_oils.html
  • northernlights907
    Options
    So if im using it to make eggs how much should i use, like a table spoon? Will it make my food tase different?
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea! What interesting information!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything from cooking, to baking, to shampoo!
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Options
    I use the same amount of coconut oil to fry an egg that I would use of butter. It makes the most delicious eggs ever!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Uh...

I put it in my hair