Rule of Thumb when Sick

Options
what is your workout rule of thumb when you're under the weather? Yes? No? How sick do you need to feel to give it up entirely?
Feeling really 'heady' today. Slight sore throat, sneezy, but body feels fine. thinking a workout might do me well, but looking for others POV.

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    If I were feeling the way you were, with my head being icky but my body feeling fine, I would workout. But I think that is because I am starting to get addicted to it... :happy:
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    if u feel up to it and u can do it.. definately.. i usually think sweating helps me to sweat out the cold lol.. then i go home and crash!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If your body feels ok I usually go ahead and do one. The only time I don't is if I feel achy and just really really tired.
  • lizortiz6661
    Options
    Both times I tried working out while feeling sick made my head pressure feel significantly worse. (I do a cardio clas for 45 minutes and do weights). Perhaps if you make it a really light workout...Feel better.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I base it on how I feel. If I feel like I can go and workout - I do. If I feel like it wouldn't be in my best interest to go -then I don't. I have asthma so I have to be careful working out when I have a cold or the flu as it can make my asthma flare up.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Rule: listen to your body
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is my general rule of thumb....if I feel up to it, I do. So long as my symptoms are only above the neck w/ no fever. I actually had a sinus infection last week and the one day I felt up to it I did do a workout and I was surprised just how great I felt after I was done. It gave me a huge boost of energy.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/tips-for-success/exercise-while-sick/article/e75e72e50d803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/

Good luck, if you feel up to it, go ahead, but ONLY if you feel up to it.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Generally if the sickness is neck and up you're OK to work out. If it's below the neck don't! BUT the most important thing is to listen to your body. If you feel OK to work out then go for it! Just don't overexhert yourself.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    go moderate for 10 minutes and re-assess. If still sick, take a break.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I beat my sickness into submission with my usual routine. I feel superhuman that way.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Above the neck--still workout, below the neck--don't workout. Also, make sure to use the sanitizer at the gym and wipe down everything you touch!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Generally if the sickness is neck and up you're OK to work out. If it's below the neck don't! BUT the most important thing is to listen to your body. If you feel OK to work out then go for it! Just don't overexhert yourself.

Don’t listen to your body, because you can easily talk yourself into skipping out. My rule is that as long as I am not nauseas or have a fever, I go to the gym. I have worked out through migraines, colds, sore throats, you name it. I have even hit lifting PRs on days I have been “sick”.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym and every machine that I possibly can. Then I don't wipe them down. That way, in a couple of days when I'm all better, everyone else is sick and I have the gym to myself. Selfish? Hellnah. I'm just building their immune system.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I was recently sick with a sore throat, runny nose. I felt as if I had no energy to do anything. I laid in bed for a couple of days BUT -- I did go to the gym EVERY DAY that I was sick. While I was working out I could still sort of feel my sore throat but I felt a little better. After my workout I'd come home, take care of my family & lay back in bed lol...

I think if I was burning up with a fever & puking I wouldn't go.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    go for it! if ur body is saying go, then go. usually if i have to second guess myself, thats when i stay home. if im just sayin, eh i feel like crap, but it might help me feel better... i usually go.
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old you are. When I was younger, I used to plow through every cold, sinus infection, etc because I had small children. I found it would take me twice as long to recover as my hubby and kids because of it. Now, at 57, if I'm sick, I take it easy, If I find myself falling asleep sitting up in a chair, I figure my body is trying to tell me take a nap and not feel guilty about it. I understand what people are saying about from the neck up illnesses. In the long run you have to listen to your body. The fact that you even asked the question leads me to believe that you don't really feel well enough to exercise otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Mother's intuituion...take it for what it's worth.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Above the neck, hit the pavement

Below the neck, stay the eff home.

That being said, stay OUT of the gym if you feel like you have a contagious cold. You don't want to pass it on.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think they actually did research on this (there was an NYTimes Wellness article reporting the research this past winter, I believe...). When you are sick, working out at light- moderate intensity shortened the duration of sore throats, head colds, and chest colds the most, not working out shortened it slightly, and working out at the usual intensity (high intensity) actually prolonged the symptoms.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if I'm on antibiotics, I don't work out. Otherwise I work out. And fever means no working out as well. Just a cold, yes!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Depends on you and how you feel.

I have a head./chest cold right now and I worked out the first day and felt great afterwards..the last two days? I can barely breathe, so I've skipped it. I am hoping that the breathing is better tomorrow so I can get back to it. :sad: