Net carbs vs. total carbs

Options
Yesterday I went to the doctors to discuss a practical diet plan. I told her that I have been keeping my net carbs under 40, by eating foods high in fiber and low net carb snacks like Quest bars. She said I am doing it all wrong and expressed she wanted me to be on a keto diet with total carbs around 20, and continuing to say net cab diets don't work for that! Net carbs is for "Atkins" and not keto. I almost laughed, this cant be true. I have already got into ketosis eating the net carb way. Is she right? Am I right? Any thoughts, adive?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if your goal is weight loss than all that matters is a calorie deficit coupled with some kind of exercise and meeting micro and macros.

net carbs, total carbs, keto, etc have nothing to do with it..
  • beckamomto3
    beckamomto3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have heard from several people doing the keto diet that count net carbs and have had success.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your doctor is incorrect.

Here's a good little section on net carbs in the Keto Reddit FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_what_are_net_carbs_and_how_do_i_calculate_them.3F

Basically: insoluble fiber goes right through your body, so there's no need to count it. Some sugar alcohols have a very high glycemic index and should be avoided on a low-carb diet because of their impact on blood sugar and ketosis, while others are safe to use.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do not agree with your doctor. My anecdata is that I stick to net carbs while using a CICO formula and am losing. There are ketones in my urine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is why I ignore doctors when it comes to nutrition. Id ask for a referral for a dietitian.. they have the education for it.

In the end, it all comes down to calories.
  • happiness4dayz
    happiness4dayz Posts: 16 Member
    Options

toxikon wrote: »

Here's a good little section on net carbs in the Keto Reddit FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_what_are_net_carbs_and_how_do_i_calculate_them.3F

Basically: insoluble fiber goes right through your body, so there's no need to count it. Some sugar alcohols have a very high glycemic index and should be avoided on a low-carb diet because of their impact on blood sugar and ketosis, while others are safe to use.

If you read the link you sent me under "How do I start and what do I eat?" it says NET carbs to be under 50. It continues to say if something you eat has 10 carbs but 8 fiber, then you net 2 carbs which is what I thought. I actually follow the advice in that link already.
  • Je2RiT
    Je2RiT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. Do what works for you, but also keep an open mind. :-) As long as you don't starve your body of other micro-nutrients and reach your goals.
  • happiness4dayz
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

Thank you for that! I needed the confirmation.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing keto? Why is your doctor recommending keto?
  • Joel_518
    Joel_518 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're in ketosis, then I would consider it's a success. Your tolerance is unique to you.

People think it's crazy but I've tested around .5-2.0 m/mol with consuming over 100g carbs. If your "fat adapted", crush it in the gym, it's possible.... honest.
  • happiness4dayz
    Options
    Why are you doing keto? Why is your doctor recommending keto?

She believes this is the best way to fight off my cravings for carbs. I have a huge sweet tooth, and fallen into bad eating habits. She expressed that keto will reset my cravings and make it a lot easier for me to avoid sugary carb dense food.