HELP! Meal prepping newbie!

Options
I need prepping ideas. The worst for me is prepping 4 or 5 days and then deciding on day 3, I REALLY don't want to eat "this" again today. Ideas?

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't meal prep for this reason. Meal prepping isn't for everyone.

I do meal plan on Sundays which is basically me deciding what I want to eat for the week and making sure everything fits into my calories then going out and buying the stuff.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just meal plan, too, and the necessary "pre-prep" - portioning, freezing, cutting, boxing, and then thawing and soaking overnight and cooking from fresh. It doesn't take long to cook one portion. This works for me because I want what I have planned (because I only plan meals I like), and the plan is flexible enough so I can move things around a bit whenever necessary.

Oh, I forgot, every Monday (usually) I make a soup or casserole that is enough for two days, so I don't cook on Wednesdays (usually). And most of my meals are "lazy cooking" (protein, starch, veg, nothing fancy).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Here are my favourite things to meal-prep:

- Quiche, chicken pot pie, shepherd's pie
    - Lasagna
    - Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
    - Curry chicken (Thai or Indian - so many options)
    - Meat + Steamed Broccoli (pork-chops, chicken thighs, whatever you want)
    - Soups, stews, chili
    - Pulled pork with pureed cauliflower mash (or mashed potatoes)
    - Breakfast burritos

I usually prep a meal or two every Sunday. I divide them into serving-size tupperwares and freeze 75% of them and the rest go into the fridge. My fiancee and I will eat them throughout the week for lunch and dinner. Then pull more from the freezer as needed. After a while you have a nice variety to choose from in the freezer, and they keep a long time if they're sealed well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Prep for 4-5 days, then freeze half the portions. Do this weekly and soon you'll have a nice selection of frozen portions to choose from for variety. Prep your protein, such as chicken, then add different flavors & accompaniments, etc daily, asian, mexican, Italian, etc, whatever appeals to you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of the big prep for five days out, trying cooking every other day --- cook a big meal to eat one night and eat the other half of the meal the second day.
  • MrsMcLaughlin2013
    MrsMcLaughlin2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually only prep breakfast and lunch for the week...and I make sure I have a variety. So Ill do 2 proteins, and then vary the veggies (or make 3-4 different salad dressings) then use the excess of all of it for dinners and just try to mix up the combinations.
  • savalex0808
    savalex0808 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Jalapeño popper chicken casserole sounds awesome! I may need that recipe.
    Sounds like I have to make room in the freezer and start freezing more of my meals. Thanks
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There's no need to prep, honestly and I've never done it. I don't use a food scale, either despite having one right on the counter. There are no rules to this and the less you alter your normal life with tedious rules, the easier it is to follow it, IMO.

The only prep I do is fill my water bottles the night before the gym so they're super-cold all day.

Just eat normally. Stock the house with healthy, organic stuff as well as enough stuff to make sure you have variety. We have an apartment size fridge (super small) and can't really store frozen or prepped stuff. So we grow herbs and mint in pits on our steps and cook on the charcoal grill a lot.

When you have fresh herbs outside your door, it's so much easier to "season" and flavor everything from meats to homemade pizzas to fresh fruits and smoothies without adding oils, rubs, dressings (ie: calories) etc.

I find cooking on the grill on the weekends in huge portions is both fun and effective as "prep" for non cooking nights or fast meals.

Saving the veggie medley, meat leftovers, etc means I get to eat grilled carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, chicken and fish whenever I please with nothing added but herbs (meaning I get to eat more volume and not worry about added calories). If I had to eat plain chicken and veggies off the stove? Blahhh. It makes a huge difference.

The grill flavor of charcoal is plenty (and you just lay wet herbs over the coals and close the lid for amazing flavor). Then save it and it's good hot or cold out of the fridge (I prefer meat cold)! Then you have easy lunches to pack or eat and can use some sides with a tuna steak you make or the veggies in a stir fry or whatever later in the week.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There's no need to prep, honestly and I've never done it.

Just eat normally.

I find cooking on the grill on the weekends in huge portions is both fun and effective as "prep" for non cooking nights or fast meals.

Saving the veggie medley, meat leftovers, etc means I get to eat grilled carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, chicken and fish whenever I please with nothing added but herbs (meaning I get to eat more volume and not worry about added calories). If I had to eat plain chicken and veggies off the stove? Blahhh. It makes a huge difference.

At first you say you never meal-prep, but then you go on to say that you make huge portions of grilled food to enjoy in the future? That's meal-prepping, lol!

Meal-prep is just a word used to describe cooking in bulk. It doesn't have to be sad, unseasoned chicken breasts. There's no reason to think that grilling and fresh foods are not compatible with meal prep.
  • savalex0808
    savalex0808 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Meal prepping bland chicken sucks! Make lunch so fun to look forward too.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a variety girl. At the same time, home cooking is cheap and convenient. Prepping is the best defence against fast food.

What I do is when I make a big meal, I pack up the extra. Make one big meal a week in five weeks you've got a different meal every night.

Chilli freezes well.

I slice up a roast and package dinner size portions so I have a bunch of pre cooked meats I mix and match with my sauces and my starches.
  • mybigfat
    mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I prep every 3 days with sundays dinner being my cheat meal. That way i keep things mixed up
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Have you considered freezing meals? I am not a huge fan of traditional meal prep, but I love to make a big batch of freezer-friendly food, eat some of it right away and then freeze the rest in individual servings. At any given time, I'll have 4-5 frozen meals in my freezer and I can grab the one that appeals to me without feeling like I have to eat the same thing over and over.

^^same.

Per up a big batch, eat one that night, save one for later in the week, portion up the rest and freeze.

Stews, chillies, curries etc work really well for this type of prepping.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Have you considered freezing meals? I am not a huge fan of traditional meal prep, but I love to make a big batch of freezer-friendly food, eat some of it right away and then freeze the rest in individual servings. At any given time, I'll have 4-5 frozen meals in my freezer and I can grab the one that appeals to me without feeling like I have to eat the same thing over and over.

^^same.

Per up a big batch, eat one that night, save one for later in the week, portion up the rest and freeze.

Stews, chillies, curries etc work really well for this type of prepping.

Same here. Cook, portion, freeze.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think it's important to have a little flexibility, I meal plan for the week, but some days my appetite might not suit what I have on the planner, so I switch my days around. I don't stick to one meal for the whole week (Except breakfast) that would just bore the life out of me.

An example week for me would be:

Breakfast
    Monday - Friday: Powdered Greens and Weetabix with Blackberries & Raspberries
    Saturday & Sunday (brunch): Powdered Greens and Poached Eggs, Asparagus & Pancetta Flatbread

Snacks
    Monday - Friday: Mixture of String Cheese/30g Nuts/50g Pickles/Treat size chocolate bar
    Saturday & Sunday: Protein Bar

Lunch
    Monday: Chicken Salad, Skips and Apple & Grapes pack
    Tuesday: Cauliflower Cheese Soup (Frozen from previous meal prep) & Roll, Skips and Treat Size Maltesers
    Wednesday: Garlic Chicken, Asparagus, Cauliflower & Salad with Caesar Dressing (2 portions prepped Tues night) and Apple & Grapes pack
    Thursday: Falafel (Frozen from previous meal prep) Wrap & Salad and Treat Size Maltesers
    Friday: Garlic Chicken, Asparagus, Cauliflower & Salad with Caesar Dressing (2 portions prepped Tues night) and Apple & Grapes pack
    Saturday & Sunday: Brunch per breakfast

Dinner
    Monday: Falafel (frozen from previous meal prep) & Halloumi with salad
    Tuesday: Beef Strogonoff (frozen from previous meal prep) & Rice
    Wednesday: Salmon Fishcakes (prepped Mon night) & Steamed Vegetables
    Thursday: Saag Tofu (Made Fresh, extra portions frozen) & Rice
    Friday: Salmon Fishcakes (frozen from mon meal prep) & Steamed Vegetables
    Saturday: Eat out at pub whilst watching rugby with one or two pints
    Sunday: Thai Green Chicken Curry (Slowcooker - makes 6 portions - freeze remaining portions)

There are great ideas on pinterest, instagram, etc. There are also free and low cost kindle books on amazon.

• Je2RiT
    Je2RiT Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I only meal prep breakfast, because that's the one meal most difficult to make time for during the week. Usually just hash browns(baked), ground turkey(seasoned as you would sausage) & egg whites. When bulking that will transform into a big *kitten* delicious burrito with more ingredients. I prep 5 servings for Mon-Fri. Sunday night.

EDIT: The longer you do it, the more it will just become a natural part of your lifestyle. And you'll get used to identifying portions and finding more efficient ways to get the meals prepped.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only meal prep I do is making my pot of pinto beans on Sunday and a big thing of quinoa. I usually take beans with my breakfasts and quinoa with my lunches...other than that my meal prep is me making an extra portion of whatever protein we're having for dinner so I can take it with my lunch the next day.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can prep more than one meal for the week...like turkey burgers for two days, baked chicken for two days....just depends on what you want to do. No rules for meal prepping.