Changes and reflection

Options
janet_pratt
janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
When I was riding down the bike path this morning I had a sudden realization. There is a hill at one point and about 50 yards from the bottom of the hill are some picnic tables. There is a black man who sits at the first table. He lives there. I don't know where he goes at night. They don't allow the homeless to sleep in the parks. We have a lot. Homeless and parks. One morning I went by and he was gone and I was worried that something happened to him. But I passed him walking back down the path later and seeing him close I realized he was younger than I had thought. I like him. He has this dignity about him. He keeps his things very organized. He's always doing something when I go by. He's there at any time of day I go by except that one time. He never appears intoxicated or even hung over and he never panhandles. Actually his demeanor is kind of unapproachable. As I flew by and saw him where I have seen him for the last almost 7 years I kind of saw this movie in my head.

Although he was always the same, in the same place, nothing ever seeming to change, I realized that if he had been watching ( and I'm certain that with the hundreds of people who pass him day after day, I don't stand out any more than any other and I don't think he pays attention to anybody anyway)But, If he had been observing people he would have seen me at about 235 pounds with long brown hair laboring along on my Huffy in jeans and a T-shirt. Having to stop and get off and push it up the hill. Later, a little smaller, a little stronger on my Schwinn mountain bike, picking up a little speed, attacking the hill, making it about 6 feet then getting off to push, in shorts and a T-shirt. Later on my Schwinn, having changed to road bike tires, short red hair, bike shorts and my husband, having succumbed finally to the biking bug, along for the ride. Still later, in full bike gear on my Novarra, flying down the hill, confident and standing up on the pedals, then biking, with effort back up on the return trip, all the way to the top but breathing heavy. And still later, back on the Schwinn, now with a kangaroo seat in front of my and my 2 year old granddaughter, Lydia, on the front and 4 year old grandson, Caleb, on his Trail=a=bike, pedaling like crazy, attached behind my husband. And today, on my beloved Trek, strong, muscled, and hitting that hill like I own it and making the top without even a change in my breathing. So much time passing, so many changes. For me. And nothing for him.

On the way back by, I stopped. He looked at me suspiciously. I told him that as I passed this morning I realized that I had been riding by him for almost 7 years and he was just always there and that the one time he wasn't I was worried about him. I asked him if there was anything he wanted or needed. Anything that would make things easier or just something he would really like to have. He said no, a guy had just given him something. I assumed he meant money. I told him if there was something he needed I would like to try to make it happen. He said he though he was ok. I told him that if he thought of something to just flag me down next time i went by and I would see what I could do. Now I will wave to him when I pass. Sometimes people need to know that they aren't invisible and that in some way they matter to people.

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    This story made me smile today. What a wonderful thing. This reminds me of a quote that went something like the good you put out into the world is equal to the good that you will draw in. Thank you. :):heart:
  • bunny888
    bunny888 Posts: 23
    Options
    What a wonderful touching story. I'm so glad you spoke to him :)
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    wow! That's a "Chicken soup for the soul" type of story. It's a good one :smile:
  • tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story!! It makes me wonder how many people I pass in a days time that I miss seeing.
  • DeidreJean
    DeidreJean Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is beautiful.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    What a lovely story. Thanks so much for sharing with us!
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    Very beautiful story...teachers come in all shapes and sizes and usually in places we never thought we'd learn from. It reminds me of one of my favorite songs by a relatively unknown artist, Beth Wood, called 1500 times...lyrics are below!

1500 times I walked past the raggedy old man
    1500 times I told him no
    Then one day he sat me down, he took my hand,
    Traced a heart inside my palm and then he let it go

Every now and then, someone comes along
    Opens your eyes just a little bit
    They climb inside your head like an old country song
    And it hits you where you live

You can live between the numbers on your grandfather hall clock
    You can live between the lines on the long highway
    But any old way you live it’s the same fine line that we all walk
    Between satisfaction and regret at the end of the day

Opens your mind just a little bit
    They climb inside your head just like an old country song

It hits you all at once – you’ve got so much to be grateful for
    It hits you all at once – there’s a price for always wanting more

Opens your heart just a little bit
    They climb inside your head just like an old country song
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    amazing story ...7 years? that is just unbelievable.

very cool of you to reach out to him.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    ..."and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

~Beatles

Really beautiful story. Thanks. :heart:
  • J3nnaLyn
    J3nnaLyn Posts: 125
    Options
    What a great story--both for you and him! That's awesome!
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Great story :love:
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ..."and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

~Beatles

Really beautiful story. Thanks. :heart:

Another reason this site needs a like button.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    what a great story
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    Options
    That's a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind comments.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I love this story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!