My diet, advice?

Options
brief intro: I am a 23 year old, male, 6ft tall, ~250lb, type 2 diabetic, trying to maintain 6 miles of cycling (road, fairly flat) on monday, wednesday and friday, and 12-15 miles on a saturday.

Below is my daily intake for yesterday (input to site as today, made mistake) and its fairly representative of what i've been eating over the last couple of weeks since i started this diet, I want advice on how you think i could make changes as according to this im not eating nearly enough carbs, sugar (though as a diabetic i think this is subject to debate) or sodium, and too much fat and protein

f6k3t93221k2.png

I would welcome any and all advice, thanks

Replies

• sienna768
    sienna768 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about maybe switching out some of the nuts for fruit? I know nuts contain the natural fats which are beneficial for your body, and that fruits contain a lot of natural sugars so this switch might help you balance it a bit more.
    Honestly though, I just try to stay within 10 (below or above the goal) of each category and have found that this has been helpful for me in losing weight.
    I'm no expert and what I say may be wrong as I'm still new to this- but that's my personal opinion
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    brief intro: I am a 23 year old, male, 6ft tall, ~250lb, type 2 diabetic, trying to maintain 6 miles of cycling (road, fairly flat) on monday, wednesday and friday, and 12-15 miles on a saturday.

Below is my daily intake for yesterday (input to site as today, made mistake) and its fairly representative of what i've been eating over the last couple of weeks since i started this diet, I want advice on how you think i could make changes as according to this im not eating nearly enough carbs, sugar (though as a diabetic i think this is subject to debate) or sodium, and too much fat and protein

f6k3t93221k2.png

I would welcome any and all advice, thanks

you dont have to worry about not hitting carb goals, all thats needed is a deficit to lose weight, you definitely want to make sure you get enough protein, if you are going over some macros and not others its ok. all that matters for weight loss is calories. if you are lower carb you need to up your fats a bit. otherwise the numbers(fat and protein look fine).and since you are type 2 keeping carbs lower should help with insulin and should keep your glucose down.
  • lewisnewman17
    lewisnewman17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok thanks
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ok thanks

yw.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hi, type 2 diabetic here. You can go into settings and change your nutrient goals to something more suitable for a diabetic - you probably don't need more than 150 g carbs / day, or in the same vicinity, and many diabetics do better on less. Are you on any meds? The main thing is that if you're on any meds which drop your blood sugar, you need to eat enough carbs to keep it level. What are you eating to keep your sugar level during / after your biking?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hi, type 2 diabetic here. You can go into settings and change your nutrient goals to something more suitable for a diabetic - you probably don't need more than 150 g carbs / day, or in the same vicinity, and many diabetics do better on less. Are you on any meds? The main thing is that if you're on any meds which drop your blood sugar, you need to eat enough carbs to keep it level. What are you eating to keep your sugar level during / after your biking?

if he eats carbs he needs to eat them with some protein as it can help prevent a crash later on.