Stretches for a sore back

Options
What stretches would you recommend for a sore back? I have been waking up in the morning with my lower back hurting. It hurts just to get out of bed. Any one have any suggestions?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I agree with bbell. I tried yoga when I had chronic back pain and ended up in a spasm on the floor. I had to see a chiropractor and have pain meds/muscle relaxers. My problem was a crooked lower spine and muscle imbalances. Strength training (full body compound lifts)did wonders to strengthen and stabilize my core. Now I can do yoga to stretch my sore back.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Word. I've learned the hard way that back pain should not be messed with. My "sore" back ended up being a facet joint sprain. If I had not seen a PT it probably would have taken forever to heal. Know what fixed it? One physical therapy session and a couple of planks per week lol. No back stretches whatsoever.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Go to a medical professional and find out the root cause of your pain. They will give you appropriate stretches/exercises.

Nobody here can give you something that is appropriate for YOUR situation.

Best of luck.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just finished PT for a severe back injury leading to chronic sciatica, nerve damage, and even plantar fasciitis that I'll have to deal with forever.

I totally agree on exercising and doing it many different ways. Strength, yoga, Pilates, whatever. But stop treadmill running (or any running or jogging if you're currently doing it) right away as it aggravates lower back pain. Walking is OK and ellipticals are generally safe for bad backs, too.

I still can't sleep without back pain unless my knees are up and I stay on my back the whole night. For a fix right now, think about a "U-pillow". It's a giant U shaped pillow meant to eliminate the need for body pillows. But I use it upside down with the U under my head and the ends criss crossed under my knees to elevate them and it was a miracle for my nighttime back pain. They're about $110 and totally worth it.
  • runfiremamarun
    runfiremamarun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    See a Physical Therapist for exercises and stretch options, see a good Chiropractor specializing in AMIT, Advanced Muscle Integration Technique, for non invasive relief, not the "pop and crack" kind of chiropractic care. A good massage therapist will tell you low back pain almost always means gluteus (butt) muscles are tight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Stretching isn't going to solve a sore back at least on a permanent basis. You have to find the cause. Sometimes it the matress, sometimes it's new exercises done with poor form, or something medical relates etc...

If it bothers you that much, perhaps seek out medical attention.

• steveplab
    steveplab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Strength training (full body compound lifts)did wonders to strengthen and stabilize my core. Now I can do yoga to stretch my sore back.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sarkrisd wrote: »
    What stretches would you recommend for a sore back? I have been waking up in the morning with my lower back hurting. It hurts just to get out of bed. Any one have any suggestions?

depends why its sore?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Have to echo the see a good Chiropractor advice, without knowing what the problem is, you could do yourself more damage than good!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor check it out and if there's nothing structurally wrong, a good Physical Therapist can prescribe stretches and strengthening exercises for your back. In the meanwhile, I'd be more inclined to use a heating pad on it than stretch it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've had all kinds of back problems and most of the advice everyone else has given has been solid. If it mainly happens when you sleep take a look at your mattress. Typical spring mattresses lose their shape quickly and tend to sag in the middle. I got an imitation thermarest, it was supposed to have a 20 year warranty against sagging.

I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket and sit on it all day and it threw my spine out of wack. Probably not a problem for most people but thought it was worth mentioning in case others do this.

If you sit a lot for work or drive a lot you need to keep an eye on your posture. I was sitting in a chair for a while that was very non-ergonomically correct and that probably contributed to it. Also if your keyboard is too high or too low it could be a problem.

I went to a chiropractor for a while but it did nothing for me. I've got nothing against them, they may do wonders for others they just didn't work for me.

The main thing that helped was physical therapy. I have very tight hamstrings so stretching helped a little but strengthening is what helped the most. Any back or core strengthening exercise will help to stabilize your spine and reduce your pain. Just make sure your pain isn't something else or caused by an injury as you could cause further damage.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    I've had all kinds of back problems and most of the advice everyone else has given has been solid. If it mainly happens when you sleep take a look at your mattress. Typical spring mattresses lose their shape quickly and tend to sag in the middle. I got an imitation thermarest, it was supposed to have a 20 year warranty against sagging.

I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket and sit on it all day and it threw my spine out of wack. Probably not a problem for most people but thought it was worth mentioning in case others do this.

If you sit a lot for work or drive a lot you need to keep an eye on your posture. I was sitting in a chair for a while that was very non-ergonomically correct and that probably contributed to it. Also if your keyboard is too high or too low it could be a problem.

I went to a chiropractor for a while but it did nothing for me. I've got nothing against them, they may do wonders for others they just didn't work for me.

The main thing that helped was physical therapy. I have very tight hamstrings so stretching helped a little but strengthening is what helped the most. Any back or core strengthening exercise will help to stabilize your spine and reduce your pain. Just make sure your pain isn't something else or caused by an injury as you could cause further damage.

This is solid info. 15 years ago I switched to an imitation sleepnumber and it's been amazing.

Wallet putting back out of orientation is much more common than most people realize.
  • steveplab
    steveplab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    streem26 wrote: »
    have a nerve root impingement in my lower back and all the inversion table did for me was temporarily get rid of the pain, it never actually fixed the problem. Your best bet is to figure out what is causing your back pain by going to the doctor and go from there. It’ll be easier to know what to do at home if you know what the issue is.

I would you suggest pay attention on a mattress. I opted for the Lessa and still on the 100 day warranty. I like it much better than my old box spring mattress. It's pretty firm and relieves my back pain but if I sleep too long on it (7 hrs) then the back pain starts. I don't know if it's the mattress (firm) and I do want to try the Casper (less firm) based on several cozzy reviews but then feel bad to have to return the Leesa and then regret it later and then reorder it again

I sit for 14 hours a day and I think I am facing this severe problem in my back due to this. I don't like to move from my bed at all. Need to change this. Can you suggest me some of the best advices to start out as you seem an expert to me?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    steveplab wrote: »
    streem26 wrote: »
    have a nerve root impingement in my lower back and all the inversion table did for me was temporarily get rid of the pain, it never actually fixed the problem. Your best bet is to figure out what is causing your back pain by going to the doctor and go from there. It’ll be easier to know what to do at home if you know what the issue is.

I would you suggest pay attention on a mattress. I opted for the Lessa and still on the 100 day warranty. I like it much better than my old box spring mattress. It's pretty firm and relieves my back pain but if I sleep too long on it (7 hrs) then the back pain starts. I don't know if it's the mattress (firm) and I do want to try the Casper (less firm) based on several cozzy reviews but then feel bad to have to return the Leesa and then regret it later and then reorder it again

I sit for 14 hours a day and I think I am facing this severe problem in my back due to this. I don't like to move from my bed at all. Need to change this. Can you suggest me some of the best advices to start out as you seem an expert to me?

Get up and walk at least once an hour. Take walks before & after work and on breaks (if you get them).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    i use my TRX to stretch every day, i love the stretches i can do for my back and lats, and my back has never felt better. anything you do to get the muscles stretched and blood flowing into the cells is gonna make you feel better. Also make sure the 14 hours you sit at a desk that you have perfect posture, never slouch. Sit at the edge of your seat with your shoulders down and back