How to keep going

Options
How in the world.do you stay on track and not stop?!? I lose a lil bit of weight then somehow end up stopping and gaining more weight. I'm now 32 and the heaviest I've ever been. When I go to the gym I feel like everyone needs just stares at me. I want to lose weight and feel good but I don't know how anymore. Yes using mfp worked in the past but I still stopped. How do I not stop.....

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    By finding the determination within yourself.
    Take small steps and small improvements until you reach your goals.
    Dont torture yourself into submission by giving up the things you enjoy.
    By teaching yourself what a proper portion is using a food scale.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't know what you did in the past. All I can say is that I know what I need.

I need to focus on exercise 5 days a week.

I need to have my regular breakfast and 4 cups of coffee.

I need to do this for a month.

I may get results. Yay! After getting those things pretty strongly settled I can add more. If things are habits and feel normal, they are harder to quit.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym. Accept the fact that you hate it.
    Find an outdoor exercise that you LOVE. That you live for. And do it.
    Roller-blading, biking, running, walking, surfing, yoga, whatever.
    You won't care who is looking because you will have total focus on your own enjoyment.
    Then learn to feed yourself for optimum nutrition; nutrition that will feed your beloved activity.
    Do a *kitten*-ton of research on nutrition and wellness.
    Short-cut: Cut sugar and flour, and any products that contain them.
    In fact, don't eat products.
    Ween yourself off of them onto real food.
    Eat the same foods every day for awhile.
    Don't drink calories.
    It sounds boring, but food shouldn't be recreation or an unlimited buffet of flavor and fun all the time.
    Oh, and cook/prep your food at home.

After years of trial and error and frustration with food & gym memberships in an environment that I hated, that's what I've learned.
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Soapstone wrote: »
    You won't care who is looking because you will have total focus on your own enjoyment.
    Then learn to feed yourself for optimum nutrition; nutrition that will feed your beloved activity.
    Don't drink calories.
    It sounds boring, but food shouldn't be recreation or an unlimited buffet of flavor and fun all the time.

After years of trial and error and frustration with food & gym memberships in an environment that I hated, that's what I've learned.

Thank you. This is what I need to read. I want to change but don't want to feel defeated in the beginning.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Soapstone wrote: »
    Don't drink calories.

Yes, this is true. I ACTUALLY WANTED to go to the gym but I couldn't because of financial issues whatever. Plus my husband was kind of deterrent about it and I've always wanted to because I used to when I was dating him. We have been married almost 5 years now and I've gained 40 pounds back on me.
    Long story short, I've been wanting to go to the gym but I couldn't. So I bought a frisbee, took my daughter to the park and got active. It was so fun that I actually MADE IT A POINT to convince my husband to let me join a gym. He finally agreed this week and I've been going! I don't want to stop because I want to look how I looked on my wedding day! I was happy at that weight and I'm not happy now because my clothes don't fit me anymore! Pictures show it and my heart rate tells me everything about my health! My mother in law is obese and bedridden. She smokes and eats and had all kinds of health conditions ranging from hbp to diabetes. I feel like that is a perfect example of someone I DON'T wanna be. So don't give up! There are some of us out here that struggle too but we have to keep it going. We don't want to end up unhealthy and inactive! We can do this! Add me if you want so we can motivate each other!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Agree, you don't have to go to the gym. You don't actually have to exercise. Weight loss takes place in the kitchen.

But there is great mental benefit to being more active. Playing in the park sounds great. Walking has a great contemplative aspect if you have the time. Agree you can't beat yourself into submission.

Also agree WL takes determination. Motivation, that everyone is looking for, is too fleeting.

I don't think you have to eat gluten free or sugar free if you don't want to. Those foods aren't really helpful if you're trying to lose, but you don't have to go to war with yourself over them. But food is basically just fuel. Meals only need to be satisfying.

The way you lose weight is to calculate a calorie deficit that you can live with for a couple of months. And it has to focus on eating. If you are relying on lots of exercise, and eating back those calories, it's a hard way to go. Seems to work for young people. Worked for me when I was 25.

People seem to run into trouble being discouraged by the time factor. Reality is we need to figure for 1 or 2 weeks for every pound we want to lose. Ok. You want to say right off you can't do it, or you're going to be the exception? It can be done and everyone can't be an exception. That's where determination comes in. There will be time when you feel discouraged. Push back. You only have one life, is this the way you want to use it? You deserve to chose for yourself. If you don't believe that, stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself you do until it sticks. May take more than one session.

After you've been losing for about 2 months, you likely need to adjust your numbers to keep your calorie deficit. Get the scale going down on a modest trend, ride the trend as long as it works. Keep adjusting as needed. Never quit.