Not enough calories and working out

Options
So my calorie goal is 1200. Today I exercised and a total of 557 calories burned. I had a turkey sandwich for lunch and tilapia with veggies for dinner. I don't do breakfast because of swing shift schedule. I'm not hungry anymore and I'm way under my deficit. I drank over 64oz of water today. I really am bored now and I just want to go back to the gym. Is this considered healthy and ok? Thoughts?

Replies

• Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I mean do I have to eat? I know many people will say just go to bed and plan better tomorrow but this is pretty much how my days will be planned. 2 meals. I don't get hungry for snacks. At this rate I should be losing weight without working out but I want to exercise! I happened to lose over 500 calories today. So 500 calorie deficit plus whatever mfp says for me as a goal of 1200. What do I do? I'm obsessing over it.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    So as long as I'm at 1200 with working off 500 I'm ok?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    So as long as I'm at 1200 with working off 500 I'm ok?

Not as a regular thing, no...

If you're just getting in to training, you need to start preplanning to prevent this happening. Choose calorie dense foods if you can't eat more. Drink calorific drinks instead of water
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So netting 700? No, you should be eating some of your exercise calories back. How big is your turkey sandwich and how much fish are you eating, because you can fit a hell of a lot of both in 1200 calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If it's just one day it's perfectly okay to let it go, but don't allow it to become a frequent occurrence. Your health will thank you if you fuel your body appropriately.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Just a small turkey sandwich which totaled about 400. 1 1/2 Tilapia filets with 1 1/2 cup veggies equaled to about 500. So with a few more veggies and string cheese I've eaten I'm at 1,000 now. I'm trying to think...is this with the exercise and the calories burned?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just a small turkey sandwich which totaled about 400. 1 1/2 Tilapia filets with 1 1/2 cup veggies equaled to about 500. So with a few more veggies and string cheese I've eaten I'm at 1,000 now. I'm trying to think...is this with the exercise and the calories burned?

So you ate 1000. Burned 500. You're netting 500. That's way too low.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    So mfp doesn't already calculate this? Omg! :s This is going to be hard!
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Diary numbers...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    You haven't even eaten 1200 cals, which is your recommended intake before exercise. You should be eating at least some of your exercise calories on top of your recommended 1200
  • Missycvt
    Options
    What would be an ideal day? I understand weight loss is the 1200 calorie deficit and also burning 500 calories a day with exercise is how people lose weight. Am I wrong? What is the meal prep for this plan? Anyone?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    What would be an ideal day? I understand weight loss is the 1200 calorie deficit and also burning 500 calories a day with exercise is how people lose weight. Am I wrong? What is the meal prep for this plan? Anyone?

1200 cals is probably the recommendation you've been given for choosing 2lbs a week loss. This is calculated to have a deficit in it already. You eat this much if you don't exercise. If you do extra exercise you add more calories.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it isn't healthy. However, I wouldn't stress because if you are truly burning 500 exercise calories on a regular basis & don't have an underlying medical condition, your hunger will not stay dormant for very long! I burned about 650 cals running this morning & nothing could have kept me from breakfast. Humans expend energy...then our brain tells our stomach to eat!!
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Ok, so 1200 calories till has a deficit built in. you would lose weight eating that with no exercise. when you exercise, you should eat some of those calories back, or you are eating at too aggressive a deficit and will be doing yourself damage. MFP does work it out - see the 720 remaining? Though it can also over estimate calorie burns, so many people only eat half back.

BUT you should be eating 1200 MINIMUM + some of your exercise calories.

Okay thank you Alatariel. I will focus on this part. This is where I was confused. I'm not sure why I found it to be confusing.
  • Missycvt
    Options

1200 cals is probably the recommendation you've been given for choosing 2lbs a week loss. This is calculated to have a deficit in it already. You eat this much if you don't exercise. If you do extra exercise you add more calories.

Thank you livinglean! This makes a lot of sense to add more calories when I workout or eat half back. Awesome. I will plan accordingly now. So what is anyone's ideal day as far as with this plan? Any suggestions for meals that will balance out with calorie burn and deficit?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Thank you livinglean! This makes a lot of sense to add more calories when I workout or eat half back. Awesome. I will plan accordingly now. So what is anyone's ideal day as far as with this plan? Any suggestions for meals that will balance out with calorie burn and deficit?

I tend to plan and prep a week at a time - I eat the same thing every day just because it's easy. My food fits my preferences for foods and meal frequency and timing. I would plan meals/drinks for 1200 cals, then have an extra snack (or protein based smoothie) planned for exercise days.

If you only want 2 meals that's fine, but work out what combos will suit you in terms of volume, and calories. Sufficient protein and fat is important - perhaps start with these macros first then fill the rest of your cals with whatever you like.