Not enough calories and working out

Options

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich - 500 to 750 cals depending on quantities.
    Burger and small fries.

My point is, that people gravitate towards traditional "I'm on a diet" type foods. This is not a requirement. You can lose weight eating a variety of foods and even those that others may consider "junk food".

I'm a fan of chocolate - I eat it most days but I still hit me Calories (and I also monitor my macros and also hit those).
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    What would be an ideal day? I understand weight loss is the 1200 calorie deficit and also burning 500 calories a day with exercise is how people lose weight. Am I wrong? What is the meal prep for this plan? Anyone?

1200 cals is probably the recommendation you've been given for choosing 2lbs a week loss. This is calculated to have a deficit in it already. You eat this much if you don't exercise. If you do extra exercise you add more calories.

Thank you livinglean! This makes a lot of sense to add more calories when I workout or eat half back. Awesome. I will plan accordingly now. So what is anyone's ideal day as far as with this plan? Any suggestions for meals that will balance out with calorie burn and deficit?

I tend to plan and prep a week at a time - I eat the same thing every day just because it's easy. My food fits my preferences for foods and meal frequency and timing. I would plan meals/drinks for 1200 cals, then have an extra snack (or protein based smoothie) planned for exercise days.

If you only want 2 meals that's fine, but work out what combos will suit you in terms of volume, and calories. Sufficient protein and fat is important - perhaps start with these macros first then fill the rest of your cals with whatever you like.

Again, thank you for your kind, helpful reply! I will do some research on meal prep and even maybe get a food scale to make sure I am logging everything correctly. I may be underestimating even?
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Burger and small fries.

My point is, that people gravitate towards traditional "I'm on a diet" type foods. This is not a requirement. You can lose weight eating a variety of foods and even those that others may consider "junk food".

I'm a fan of chocolate - I eat it most days but I still hit me Calories (and I also monitor my macros and also hit those).

So I'm not going to bed yet because of my schedule...it is possible that I may get hungry before bedtime. If I do have some peanut butter or whatever, it should be ok before bedtime right? Especially since I'm still under deficit?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Burger and small fries.

So I'm not going to bed yet because of my schedule...it is possible that I may get hungry before bedtime. If I do have some peanut butter or whatever, it should be ok before bedtime right? Especially since I'm still under deficit?

Definitely. Eat when you like, it makes no difference
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Burger and small fries.

Definitely. Eat when you like, it makes no difference

Thank very much! Add as friend? Very helpful. :)
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The 1200 daily goal already puts you at a deficit to lose weight. So if you burn more calories off, you get to eat more. You should have eaten 1700 calories today. Hope that makes sense.

I lost 85 lbs doing it that way.

Good luck!
  • Missycvt
    Options
    USAMcK wrote: »
    The 1200 daily goal already puts you at a deficit to lose weight. So if you burn more calories off, you get to eat more. You should have eaten 1700 calories today. Hope that makes sense.

I lost 85 lbs doing it that way.

Good luck!

Thank you for clarifying this! Wow! Great loss! I will definitely follow.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Burger and small fries.

As per @livingleanlivingclean 's comment - meal timings make no difference and eating late at night is not a problem (unless it stops you from sleeping). So, whether you get hungry or not* between now and bed I'd ensure that you eat you base calories and about half of your exercise cals**

* hunger or lack of is not a very good indicator of whether you need food or not for those that are starting a new diet or changing their eating patterns. Whilst it is a good skill to be able to listen to your body and respond correctly it can be difficult and misleading at times.

** most people recommend only eating back half exercise cals because estimated exercise burns from gym equipment are notoriously overenthusiastic. How much of your exercise cals to eat is a little bit of a trial and error type thing but eat half is a reasonable starting point.
  • StealthHealth
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That Smart Coffee looks pretty dumb to me. I wouldn't recommend any product like this - they are always useless: the people who use them lose weight by calorific deficit alone.

Edited to add @ht280470 your loss was due to your hard work. Don't diminish your achievement by ascribing it to the coffee.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    ht280470 wrote: »
    I'm in the best shape of my life now. If we are to go on weight as a measure. I was 17 stone in 2010, 15 Stone this year. (Yep I know a Long time to lose 2 stone.) However, I am now 13.2. At 6.2' it classes me as overweight. Here are my tips
    Take a picture before and every two weeks. I look good now and have lost 4 inches off my waist, but the scales don't tell this story.
    Ignore others, they will tell you not to do it. Its pure Jealousy of something they can not do.
    Drink this smart coffee, it helps burn fat not muscle and keep the hunger away. Plus kerbs the sugar eating in the evening and afternoon. www.revitalu.com/janetait I'm sure there are people we will see in the news will rave about it soon.

The last tip is get moving, gently if you've not done it before. Be careful though with any conditions, our bodies are meant to move. So move it.
    If you are a Gym member or train forget long haul cardio. It doesn't work! Most marathon runners don't lose weight as their body signals to eat more! Look at Sprinters they have the best bodies, so train like one. HIIT, look it up on YouTube!

Food wise, don't cut everything suddenly, fade out, 30%, 20%,20% 10%, With Alcohol stop drinking mid-Week to start. Have a glass of Wine, with dinner on the weekend. If you look forward to it and you'll find you really enjoy that one glass far more !
    Good luck !

I actually like HIIT. It's just that I've been a couch potato for couple years now and my heart rate sky rocketed when I started working out this week. I monitor it so it doesn't go too high. I understand that I'm out of shape. I still didn't do any strenuous workouts...slowly got into it but did it! I feel good! Thanks for your input!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm in the best shape of my life now. If we are to go on weight as a measure. I was 17 stone in 2010, 15 Stone this year. (Yep I know a Long time to lose 2 stone.) However, I am now 13.2. At 6.2' it classes me as overweight. Here are my tips
    Take a picture before and every two weeks. I look good now and have lost 4 inches off my waist, but the scales don't tell this story.
    Ignore others, they will tell you not to do it. Its pure Jealousy of something they can not do.
    Drink this smart coffee, it helps burn fat not muscle and keep the hunger away. Plus kerbs the sugar eating in the evening and afternoon. www.revitalu.com/janetait I'm sure there are people we will see in the news will rave about it soon.

The last tip is get moving, gently if you've not done it before. Be careful though with any conditions, our bodies are meant to move. So move it.
    If you are a Gym member or train forget long haul cardio. It doesn't work! Most marathon runners don't lose weight as their body signals to eat more! Look at Sprinters they have the best bodies, so train like one. HIIT, look it up on YouTube!

Food wise, don't cut everything suddenly, fade out, 30%, 20%,20% 10%, With Alcohol stop drinking mid-Week to start. Have a glass of Wine, with dinner on the weekend. If you look forward to it and you'll find you really enjoy that one glass far more !
    Good luck !

Please vet your information before recommending things. Magic coffees are as likely to work as magic berry extracts, and long haul cardio has its place and does burn a lot of calories which helps with weight loss for those who don't eat enough to wipe out their deficit. Marathon runners are often thin because that's the kind of body needed to achieve better marathon time and sprinters have that kind of body because that's the best body to achieve the best time. Both deliberately make their bodies look the way they look and it's not because of HIIT or endurance cardio.

"Long haul cardio" is my absolute favorite form of cardio and it did not prevent me from losing weight or make me look very lean like a marathoner. How your muscles look has to do with the kind of strength training you do and how you eat.
  • Missycvt
    Options

Good luck !

Please vet your information before recommending things. Magic coffees are as likely to work as magic berry extracts, and long haul cardio has its place and does burn a lot of calories which helps with weight loss for those who don't eat enough to wipe out their deficit. Marathon runners are often thin because that's the kind of body needed to achieve better marathon time and sprinters have that kind of body because that's the best body to achieve the best time. Both deliberately make their bodies look the way they look and it's not because of HIIT or endurance cardio.

"Long haul cardio" is my absolute favorite form of cardio and it did not prevent me from losing weight or make me look very lean like a marathoner. How your muscles look has to do with the kind of strength training you do and how you eat.

So you lost weight with long haul cardio? What does that mean like cardio for over an hour or like using long term cardio only as exercise?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Good luck !

So you lost weight with long haul cardio? What does that mean like cardio for over an hour or like using long term cardio only as exercise?

It means low to moderate intensity cardio for a longer duration of time than you would be able to sustain doing higher intensity cardio (It can be an hour or longer). I did not lose weight "with it", I lost weight while doing it. In other words, it wasn't the reason I lost weight (that comes down to calories), but it was a good fit for my preferences and my goals and made losing weight easier. It did not slow down or prevent my weight loss like people usually claim. HIIT has the unfortunate side effect of making me too hungry. Not everyone experiences this, but I did, so it wasn't a good fit for my goals. What I'm saying in a nutshell is that your choice of cardio has little to do with weight loss and is mostly down to your personal preference and how you thrive on it, so just do what you know you will be able to keep up.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Nobody has yet asked. What exercise did you do that burned 557 calories?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Good luck !

It means low to moderate intensity cardio for a longer duration of time than you would be able to sustain doing higher intensity cardio (It can be an hour or longer). I did not lose weight "with it", I lost weight while doing it. In other words, it wasn't the reason I lost weight (that comes down to calories), but it was a good fit for my preferences and my goals and made losing weight easier. It did not slow down or prevent my weight loss like people usually claim. HIIT has the unfortunate side effect of making me too hungry. Not everyone experiences this, but I did, so it wasn't a good fit for my goals. What I'm saying in a nutshell is that your choice of cardio has little to do with weight loss and is mostly down to your personal preference and how you thrive on it, so just do what you know you will be able to keep up.

lol, HIIT is absolutely miserable (when done properly), no idea why so many people recommend such a CNS taxing and brutal activity for losing weight when your recovery is already compromised due to the calorie deficit.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Good luck !

lol, HIIT is absolutely miserable (when done properly), no idea why so many people recommend such a CNS taxing and brutal activity for losing weight when your recovery is already compromised due to the calorie deficit.

Because so many people aren't doing HIIT. but they think they're doing HIIT, or they've been told they're doing HIIT.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Good luck !

Ignore the silliness about skinny marathon runners and buff sprinters, both come in all shapes and sizes - very few participants are elite and actually need to achieve a certain body to be elite.
    Some of my "cardio" is long bike rides - up to 8+ hours. I don't look like a featherweight Tour de France rider do I?

Exercise and weight loss:
    I don't lose weight because of my exercise, because I eat to fuel my exercise.

Calorie deficit = weight loss.
    Exercise can be part of that of course but it's not just for weight loss.
    It can even be enjoyable. In fact it's best when it is because you will continue doing it long term and get massive health benefits from being active.
    The problem with seeing exercise as a way to lose weight is that what then makes you carry on when you get to goal weight?

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depending on what kind of veggies you had with your fish- add something like regular or sweet potatos or squash (butternut is a fav of mine) - they are fairly calorie dense and easy to make

I have a bowl of cereal before bed each night (approx. 250cal) - although I tweak it depending on remaining calories (last night it was a double serving because I had extra carbs available)
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Nobody has yet asked. What exercise did you do that burned 557 calories?

I did HIIT on treadmill for 30 minutes...fast walk and jog...and 30 mins moderate elliptical.