Holiday Help

Options
I'm going on holiday for the entire of July (finish exams this Friday and so am celebrating a long summer off before starting work in September)- for the first week I'm in an all inclusive, then for the next 3 weeks I'll be able to cook some of my own food but still will be visiting restaurants etc with all of my family.
Can someone please give me some advice on how to stay on track even on holiday? How to not over indulge?
I know I may have to aim to maintain rather than lose but I would love to come back a few pounds lighter still- and I will have access to a gym so plan on working out a couple times a week as well as hitting 10k steps or more every single day.
In the last 6 weeks I've lost 11 pounds which I'm really happy about but I don't want to give up on all my progress! I want to keep going so that I can meet my goals of a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would eat a reasonable breakfast of 300 cal or less. Maybe a small sandwich and light soup for lunch. That will leave you plenty of calories for a reasonable restaurant supper. You can mix it up by having a salad for lunch. (no cheese or croutons) If you are making yourself you could do 2 cups of lettuce, 1 roma tomato, 1/3 cucumber, and 1 sliced apple, 1/4 cup raisins, dressing on the side measured out to be 1 serving. If you choose reasonably at the restaurants, or only eat half and save the rest for the next day's lunch you should be OK. Try to continue logging as much as possible, even if you need to resort to paper and put it in later.
  • sienna768
    sienna768 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! That all sounds pretty logical and I'll be sure to give it a go!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I finish exams this Friday too - good luck!

On holidays, I try to skip breakfast (not different to normal, but means avoiding buffets etc), and try to make lower cal choices unless it's for something culturally unique, or special.

I like having facilities to prep some meals, it's easy to make meals to suit your requirements.

We stay active on holidays, walking everywhere and doing lots of activities. We might go to a gym but don't make it a priority as that's time we could be spending exploring! I generally find when I'm busy I think about food less and end up eating less anyway :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I finish exams this Friday too - good luck!

On holidays, I try to skip breakfast (not different to normal, but means avoiding buffets etc), and try to make lower cal choices unless it's for something culturally unique, or special.

I like having facilities to prep some meals, it's easy to make meals to suit your requirements.

We stay active on holidays, walking everywhere and doing lots of activities. We might go to a gym but don't make it a priority as that's time we could be spending exploring! I generally find when I'm busy I think about food less and end up eating less anyway :)

^^I do this.

Also, I'm a dessert/chocolate fan but I tend to find that the desserts supplied in all inclusive holiday packages do nothing for me, so I tend to skip desserts.

I drink alcohol when on holiday but I tend to favor shorts and mixers over beer and I usually have a couple of booze free days on each holiday.

If you find that you're not very active when on holiday it may be worth planning in some formal exercise sessions but this may not be needed if you're out and about sign seeing or getting a lot of swimming done on a daily basis.

Also, remember that heat, sodium, and air travel can all cause water retention which can show up on the scales and falsely lead you to believe that you've gained fat.
  • sienna768
    sienna768 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the deserts in an all inclusive! Usually just not worth the calories haha
    Thank you both! :)