Veggies

Options
bmiano1
bmiano1 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Looking for any ideas on how to make veggies yummy. I love cooking with garlic, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt (Can eat asparagus with that every day). Love spinach salads. Have made stewed tomatoes & zucchini, tomatoes alone are yummy. Can't find a healthy way to eat broccoli without it tasting like earth. What other ideas can you all give me for making veggies or adding new ones. I didn't grow up eating them so it's been a slow process. :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Roasted broccoli is fantastic. Misto a little olive oil on, mix in some minced garlic. At the end squeeze on some lemon and if you have the calories a little parm. So good! Actually a lot of veggies taste amazing roasted.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of roasting almost anything (including Broccoli like R2R2 said above). I roast cauliflower with Old Bay seasoning and don't use oil (though I'm sure that would make it even better.) I could seriously eat an entire head without thinking about it. And, I hate to admit it, but someone gave me a small spiralizer and it makes things interesting. soft things like cucumbers and hard things like carrots. You can then use them in salads, stir fries, soups, etc. Lastly, we probably go through 10 baked sweet potatoes a week. We just wash them and throw them on a baking sheet in the oven until they are super soft. They're delicious. Good luck!
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Steam broccoli until just cooked, then stir-fry
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I steam broccoli with light butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Kroger market stores (Smith's here) have pre-packaged veggie trays ready for roasting. Today I bought a medley of zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, red onion, and baby carrots. They're all mainly cubed and accompanied with 2 cloves of garlic. I threw them on a foil lined cookie sheet with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper...delicious!
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i use grapeseed oil, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, onions, olive oil, thyme, parsley.. i suatee all of my veggies. i roast squash in the winter time
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I like broccoli plain but smothered in cream and cheese also works real good... one of my favourite high fat, low carb meals.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Carrots sliced into thin fries and sprayed with a little olive oil and roasted are great.
    Roast kale with sea salt is excellent.
    Roast butternut squash with chilli flakes is delicious.
    Red peppers are great no matter how you cook them but stir fry is quick and easy.
    Parsnip mash is one of my favorites (peel, cut into small pieces, stem then mash) - add Parmesan to the mash and it's even better.

• Missycvt
    Options
    Carrots sliced into thin fries and sprayed with a little olive oil and roasted are great.
    Roast kale with sea salt is excellent.
    Roast butternut squash with chilli flakes is delicious.
    Red peppers are great no matter how you cook them but stir fry is quick and easy.
    Parsnip mash is one of my favorites (peel, cut into small pieces, stem then mash) - add Parmesan to the mash and it's even better.

Yes!!!! I made some stuffed mushrooms with kale! I found the recipe on Pinterest! Soooooo good! Let me see if I can find it!
  • Missycvt
    Options
  • tracyj1247
    tracyj1247 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I enjoy vegetables the old fashion way just salt and pepper with a little if it's not butter just love it. :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    The only way my family enjoys raw broccoli is in a chopped salad with bacon bits, sunflower seeds, red onions and dressing. My mom always made the dressing with mayo, sugar and red wine vinegar. I've modified it to Greek yogurt, Splenda and red wine vinegar. It's delicious, crunchy and so healthy. Here is a similar recipe (we omit the raisins).

http://belleofthekitchen.com/2014/07/18/skinny-broccoli-salad/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A good old Scottish staple is carrot and swede (I believe it's called something else in the US and for the life of me I can't remember) mash.

There are loads of Persian and Turkish dishes that do wondrous things with aubergines/eggplants. And quick pickling of veggies is delicious too.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A good old Scottish staple is carrot and swede (I believe it's called something else in the US and for the life of me I can't remember) mash.

There are loads of Persian and Turkish dishes that do wondrous things with aubergines/eggplants. And quick pickling of veggies is delicious too.

Pssst... turnip! (Or rutabaga)