First Slimming World Meeting tomorrow! What to expect?

Options
Hi!
I'm going to attend my first ever SW meeting tomorrow evening. I've had a look on the website and I'm not entirely sure what to expect - I'm picturing a Marjorie Dawes Little Britain situation!!

bi4377jppc6t.gif

The online only option looks like it has a lot of features, so I was considering that, but I figured physically dragging myself to a meeting would hold me more accountable and make me more motivated!

Please share your experiences with SW meetings! :)

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You might get more responses looking for a Facebook SW group. MFP is for calorie counting without the need to go to any groups so most people here in the forums won't have any experience of SW.
  • michellebutler73345
    michellebutler73345 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I previously joined sw but never stuck it out . One guy in my group was shamed for eating a slice of cake .. I left after that :/
  • galley0730
    galley0730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did sw from September until just a few weeks ago. I liked it...it helped adjust my mindset with food quite a bit, and I lost just over 2 stones. About a month or so ago, I started logging my food on MFP, and have to say I prefer MFP, so I'm doing that exclusively now...i only have about a stone left to go, and I feel like the habits that I learned in sw will help as I get to my goal

Some basic tips:
    *Plate veg (speed food) first, then protein, then carbs. Increasing my vegetable portion was key for me, and it's one thing that I aim to continue.
    *Don't let anyone tell you that 'free' foods are unlimited. You simply cannot eat 500g of pasta/rice in one sitting and expect good losses. Eat a reasonable to small amount of these, and again, load up on veg first!
    *I wasn't keen on the few recipes I tried, I preferred to adapt the recipes I already liked...I've always enjoyed cooking, and make meals from scratch most of the time, so you may find that if you like to cook, you'll find it less like a diet.
    *Don't eat things you really don't like. Some members bang on about mullerlights/diet fanta chicken/quark. I ate none of those, and still managed good losses every week. *Make good use of your syns: I didn't use mine every day, but they were great for working in things like a glass of wine or a chocolate bar...i never felt like I wasn't 'allowed' something I genuinely enjoyed, and it helped a lot to see what moderation looked like.

Good luck...i hope it goes well for You!
  • ninka_polish
    ninka_polish Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I went there once full of hopes and determined and it was the worst experience of the year. The meeting felt like a sect meeting where everyone had to love slimming world and praise it to heavens. The leader basically condemned all the people who wouldn't join slimming world just from the beginning of her speech. The crowd was big and many people knew each other they were cheering and clapping hands and I was too and the more I clapped the more I wanted to leave. I felt so bad. So out of place. It was so bad that I cried for an hour after I came home. Now that was my experience but it works for many people. I am doing great now just using this app and supportive people here so I find more power this way. One good thing about the slimming world is that they analyse the food and stress the "good foods" a lot.
  • shoecake
    shoecake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started In January but as an online member - last Friday I made it to my 3 stone award however I've now decided to go back to mfp full time to see how I get on. But I have taken into account a lot of the things I picked up on sw my plate is always 1/3 speed, I barely cook with any oil nowadays, I love the sausage rolls made with thins and I can cook a lot of takeaway food at a fraction of the calories it's also made me very aware of my bread intake! If you have a fairly rum sense of humour then check out the twochubbycubs blog, they've loads of amazing recipes and they're hilarious they are also dead against the sw fads of cakes made with only eggs and anything that contains sweetner so real ingredients! Good luck