New here, trying to gain weight

Options
I know, this is pretty unusual, and I've been heavy most of my life. I'd managed to lose 30 lbs the old fashioned way and was down to 180 lbs. A cancerous polyp was then found in my stomach, and the surgeons removed the lower 80% of my stomach and surrounding lymph nodes. Biopsy of the tissue found that there was no cancer other than the polyp removed during the initial endoscopy. I was very lucky there, and didn't have to go through chemo or radiation.

However, multiple complications and two years later, I've finally figured out what I can and can't eat. Bariatric surgery dietary suggestions don't work for everyone. I can eat tons of cheese, but can't drink milk or use cream or eat ice cream. I can't handle more than about 5 grams of sugars (regardless of the source) per serving of food. I also don't get hungry, but I have finally recovered my apetite. Mostly, I eat because I should. I'm back to cooking, but living alone, it's been a challenge cooking small amounts, since I don't have alot of freezer space.

Oh, and I'm up to a whopping 108 lbs. I have next to no muscle mass. The arms I used to hide because they were fat, I now hide because they're scrawny. After feeling crummy and being parked in my recliner all of this time, I'm working on building up my stamina and strength.

Anyway, here I am! I'm loving the app on my Droid. Scanning in items makes it so easy to track what I'm eating.

Replies

• pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and hope you continue your good progress. I'm trying to lose weight but feel free to add me as a friend if you want some company on your journey. :smile:
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    hit the gym with heavy weights and eat lots of protein from animal and fish source.
  • getson2010
    getson2010 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a journey. I admire your courage and perserverance. I hope that you reach your goal. Add me as a friend, if you like.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Welcome...and good luck with the weight gain. This site can be very encouraging and helpful for gaining or loosing. I am trying to get my neice to use it to gain weight also....Just don't think she really knows how few calories she eats in a day. If you would like to add me as a friend feel free...I will cheer you along. I had surgery ( my stomach flipped up backwards and crowded my heart) a year and half ago and it really altered how I eat also. However, I am on here trying to lose my extra pounds....because like you I have always had a weight problem....I have actually lost 26#'s so far...some of it before finding mfp. Good luck!
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So glad that you are here, considering everything that you have been through. Good luck on your journey