Stupid App says I am not eating enough

Options
I am eating less calories than I am expending so how is that bad.
I am eating better than I ever have in my life. I am exercising. I feel fine.
Why does this app say I will NOT loose weight?

Replies

• SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me a few times, too, on days when I had some really long runs.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You need a minimum of 1200 calories to sustain bodily functions. This is net calories, meaning you need 1200 calories after eating exercise calories you earned. If you eat 1200 and earn 300 from exercise, you should eat back those calories to net 1200. This assumes your calories are correct using a food scale weighing grams.

1200 is the minimum for women and 1500 for men.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Mine will give me a prediction so long as I stay above 1000...how low is your intake?
  • ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat less than my calorie goal [650-700 cals] and walk for a bit. I don't lose any weight either. :neutral: But I don't mean to not eat, I just am not hungry! lol. I guess the body is trying to hold on to something?
  • Clare_Bear1986
    Clare_Bear1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Mine will give me a prediction so long as I stay above 1000...how low is your intake?

Mine too, only shouts at me for below 1000. My daily recommended calories is only 1200 anyway though. Perhaps that's why?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat less than my calorie goal [650-700 cals] and walk for a bit. I don't lose any weight either. :neutral: But I don't mean to not eat, I just am not hungry! lol. I guess the body is trying to hold on to something?

that's fine as long as you're eating at maintenance on the other days - otherwise you're potentially doing yourself serious damage if you keep it up for any length of time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's what I remembered (I rarely log or close when I do log). Does it now take into account exercise calories? It never used to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Mine too, only shouts at me for below 1000. My daily recommended calories is only 1200 anyway though. Perhaps that's why?

I believe that's how it is for everyone. At one point it was below 1200, but they changed that to 1000 some time ago.

(1200 isn't actually "recommended." You put in how active you are before exercise and your desired goal and it's spitting out 1200 based on those inputs. This is also why MFP's method assuming eating back exercise, as the calorie goal assumes none.)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

wow do you folks not understand that the minimum amount of calories to sustain minimum RDA nutrition is 1200 for woman and 1500 for men and that if MFP gave 1200 then it's based on the rate in which you wish to lose the weight.

and that if you continue to eat 1200 and less you are losing muscle mass, damaging yourself such as bones and heart damage...that weight loss is not a race and if you want to lose and keep it off you have to build good habits etc.

at 1k or less for extended periods of time you will eventually have hair loss, brittle bones and nails and muscle loss which slows metabolism...

at 1lb a week weight loss my daily intake was 1460 calories and I lost 1lb a week...if I wanted to eat more I exercised.

It really depends on height, weight and gender. There's no one-size-fits-all. A 6'3" woman would absolutely suffer negative consequences from eating 1000 net calories a day, while a 4'8" woman with only a few pounds to lose could probably follow a 1000 calorie to reach her goal without suffering negative health implications.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hmmm OP has one post, OP has not returned, I think I know where this is going...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

wow do you folks not understand that the minimum amount of calories to sustain minimum RDA nutrition is 1200 for woman and 1500 for men and that if MFP gave 1200 then it's based on the rate in which you wish to lose the weight.

and that if you continue to eat 1200 and less you are losing muscle mass, damaging yourself such as bones and heart damage...that weight loss is not a race and if you want to lose and keep it off you have to build good habits etc.

at 1k or less for extended periods of time you will eventually have hair loss, brittle bones and nails and muscle loss which slows metabolism...

at 1lb a week weight loss my daily intake was 1460 calories and I lost 1lb a week...if I wanted to eat more I exercised.

dont forget the 1200 is also for short/sedentary/elderly or a combo of the 3.