Looking for teacher friends!

Options
brose0075
brose0075 Posts: 11 Member
Hi! I am a teacher who spends a lot of time sitting. I'm 25 years old, 5'6" tall, 215 lbs, and I lead a rather sedentary life. I want to change my lifestyle, and there is no better time than summer break! So this summer, I'm starting over. Again. For the last time!!! My short-term goal is to lose 2 lbs per week, and my long term goal is to lose 50 lbs by New Years! I'm looking for other teacher friends who are looking to lose 50+ lbs and who will be active members of the MFP community! I will need a lot of motivation and I will be glad to give some, too! Add me :)

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't have a hard and fast goal weight, but I'm a teacher too. I'm certified for secondary English and have had sophomores the last few years. What do you teach?
  • brose0075
    brose0075 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Freshman math! I love it
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 36 pounds over the school year!
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    brose0075 wrote: »
    Hi! I am a teacher who spends a lot of time sitting. I'm 25 years old, 5'6" tall, 215 lbs, and I lead a rather sedentary life. I want to change my lifestyle, and there is no better time than summer break! So this summer, I'm starting over. Again. For the last time!!! My short-term goal is to lose 2 lbs per week, and my long term goal is to lose 50 lbs by New Years! I'm looking for other teacher friends who are looking to lose 50+ lbs and who will be active members of the MFP community! I will need a lot of motivation and I will be glad to give some, too! Add me :)

Hey there! I do teach some, but I am in academic director. I figured I may still qualify as a member of the academic field. Ha ha. And I am looking to lose about 13 pounds, but I am very active on MFP. I would love to cheer each other on!
  • katiequinn397
    katiequinn397 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a fourth grade teacher trying to lose about 50lbs. Summer does seem like a great time to reset healthy habits. I would definitely love some encouragement going into the year though. Last year I started with so much energy to keep up healthy habits in the school year but that was gone by Thanksgiving. I'm 26, 5'5' and started the summer at 184lbs. I'm down by about eight so far.
  • Nichole_AZ
    Nichole_AZ Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a first grade teacher! Feel free to add me. I have about 90 lbs to lose.
  • msklean
    msklean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a second grade teacher. I have gained close to 30 pounds this year. Birthday cupcakes and I have a love/hate relationship. I need to lose about 50 pounds. Feel free to add me.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    I teach 12th grade English. Add me!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I teach elementary music. My goals change from weight loss to gain to maintenance depending on my fitness and physique goals. I get 6 weeks off this summer and I'll be dieting to get lean for about that many.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I teach high school English. Things got busy second semester and workouts suffered, so I'm jumping back in today. Feel freeto add me. :)
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Are guys allowed? I'm a first grade teacher looking to lose 70 more pounds. I would love to be friends.
  • izagbel760
    izagbel760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! You m also new, I teach 4th grade, want to lose as much as I can over summer break. Add me!
  • suzr84
    suzr84 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm an English teacher too. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • MrsDiablaVillalba
    MrsDiablaVillalba Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a substitute teacher. Does that count lol? I was at a healthy weight. Then, 4 years ago I let go of healthy eating habits and have gained 131 pounds. I'm hoping to lose 83 of it. Feel free to add me. :)
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm an elementary music teacher. Restarting this for a second time, looking to lose at least 40, but potentially up to 60 depending on how I feel. Anyone should feel free to add me if they want.
  • kelleys333
    kelleys333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I teach junior high, and I would really love to make the most of what remains of the summer to drop about 1-2 lbs. a week. I'm not sure how this message board works, but I would like to hear from other teachers who want to count down the pounds as well as the days left of summer break!
  • willfalconxp
    willfalconxp Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey @brose0075

I'm not a teacher, but I'm doing my masters in teaching here in Australia, and I've asked some of the teachers at the school I'm doing placement at how they keep active. The biggest thing I've picked up is trying to incorporate more walking in the classroom (eg. making a point of doing a 'lap' or two of the classroom to check that students are on track, or being creative with your curriculum and trying to create activities/games within the classroom that involves standing and walking). Aside from that the teachers I spoke to say obviously making time for the gym before or after school. The one thing working in their favour is a lot of school here in Aus. have gyms in them and teachers are generally aloud to use the gyms as longs as students aren't having a class, so lots of teachers use the school gym in there spare periods.

If you don't have access to or aren't aloud to use a school gym then you could always try the old 'swap it rule'. So if you drive to work then park a few blocks away and walk the rest. If you ride a pushie (pushbike), then try a longer way. If you walk, then try jogging or running some of the way to work, or back home. And if you get public transport, then you could get off a couple of stops before home or work and walk the rest.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Will
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm a substitute teacher, but I'll be student teaching in the fall. :)
  • karlafosho
    karlafosho Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 4th grade teacher in North Philly. Currently 30 pounds down with 75 to go. I've added you, and if anyone wants to add my, I'll accept :)
  • WA_Teacher
    WA_Teacher Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    brose0075 wrote: »
    Good morning!
    I'm a 5th grade teacher and I too have 50+lbs to drop. Like you, I need members that are active and will help keep me motivated.
    Everyone, please feel free to add me to your friends' list.
    ttfn,
    V