Anyone not gain weight on antidepressants?

I need to take them but terrified of sabotaging my weight loss accomplishments this past year. Please help.

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited June 2017
    I didn't gain any.
    Good luck, I hope they help you!
  • rjck33
    rjck33 Posts: 1 Member
    I actually started feeling well enough to eat like more than 800 calories a day so I did. But please don't let weight gain stop you from taking them! I wasn't watching my weight when I started mine but I have a feeling that after you adjust it'll be just like before!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I’m on remeron which causes carb cravings, but I’ve been on this for 9 years and it’s never affected me. They don’t make you gain weight, maybe a little more hungry, but you control your calorie intake, not the medicine.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I lost on them originally. Best diet pills I ever took. I eventually found they made no difference and no longer need them but in the beginning I actually lost weight.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    I have not gained weight, In fact, antidepressants calmed my anxiety so I ended up eating less.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've taken three different antidepressants...I've actually lost the weight that I put on pre-medicine while taking meds.
  • This is a tricky one to answer, I believe mine have contributed to my weight gain, however there are a number of other things also which have. I went from being around 75kg, now I am at the heaviest I have been at 113kg - this is over a 12 year time period. Back when I was 75kg I was swimming competitively, now I struggle with chronic pain, which flares up the depression and trying to manage both, exercise and eat well is a battle. I also tend to be very much an emotional eater.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I took Wellbutrin several years ago which isn't really a typical antidepressant.. But it actually made me lose weight
  • agentventi
    agentventi Posts: 84 Member
    I'm on Wellbutrin. It is the one that doesn't cause weight gain. In fact, many lose on it because it takes away desire to eat and cravings. I don't have that side effect but it hasn't made me gain.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Most antidepressants do not - in and of themselves - cause unexplained weight gain. What some of them may do is increase appetite which may lead some to overeat.

Understand, though, that this is something that the individual taking these medications is in control of. It's not a case of being a helpless victim.

Knowledge is power. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I have never gained on antidepressants
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I lost when I was on Wellbutrin. Gave me massive headaches and horrible constipation but yes, I lost weight on it.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I didn't gain weight when I was on them. They don't make you gain weight they just might make you hungrier so you eat too much, is my understanding.

But antidepressants treat everyone differently and if it's something you and your dr think you need, the fear of weight gain should not stop you from doing what you need to do to get well.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I feel like they make me hungrier, but I've been losing even so, just by measuring and recording everything I eat and trying to make filling choices. But yeah, if I were just eating whatever, whenever, they'd likely lead me to eat more.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I've never gained on antidepressants, and I've been on a few. I usually wind up losing bc my depression "lifts" and I'm able to make better choices and give a *kitten* about myself enough to exercise and not hate myself with food.

I don't think most actually increase hunger significantly. I think it's just that a lot of people experiencing typical depression lose their appetite, so when they begin feeling better they start to eat again and maybe gain weight. If you're concerned, mention it to your doctor and they can prescribe accordingly. I told my shrink I was a binge eater and so he didn't give me what he intended, and gave me Prozac instead (more likely to cause loss than gain). It helped for a time.
  • ClayDobs
    ClayDobs Posts: 12 Member
    They've never made me gain weight. If anything, they helped me lose weight since I've been more willing to get out of the house and be active. Regardless, don't let weight affect your decision of whether you should take them or not. If a doctor recommends it, then give it a shot. Just keep plugging away on MFP and weight gain won't be an issue.
  • cperkins18
    cperkins18 Posts: 7 Member
    Depends in part on the drug - some might reduce appetite; others increase appetite - and not everyone gets all possible effects for any drug. Your doctor or pharmacist or the official information on the drug should let you know which yours MIGHT do.

I don't know about you, but I eat much more if I'm depressed, so in my case it wouldn't be fair to blame drugs for any weight gain.