Kettlebell weight or weights??

LisaMoxon155
LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Ive been in the process of losing weight and now want to tone up. So was thinking of buying kettle bells or one kettle bell.
I can look on you tube for what exercises to do (any suggestions on this too) but not sure what weigjt to buy for starters.
Im not really very fit either.
Or what i have been doing at times is a dance fitness dvd so what if i added weights to my ankles and wrists to help tone up???
Any advice would be appriated.
Thank you

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    There are some really good, and some really bad kettle bell programs out there.

Personally, I like Pavel and sara Lurie.

For a beginner female, the usual recommendation is 15 lb, 25 lb and 35 lb. with an extra 25 lb for doubles work.
  • LisaMoxon155
    There are some really good, and some really bad kettle bell programs out there.

Personally, I like Pavel and sara Lurie.

For a beginner female, the usual recommendation is 15 lb, 25 lb and 35 lb. with an extra 25 lb for doubles work.

Ok thanks for that. Yeah i have read about some bad programs
    Ill have a look at pavel and sara lurie

Thanks
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'd agree-look into Pavel's books. They're very informative, funny, and have workouts such as Simple and Sinister which is a good beginner workout.

Also, don't do wrist and ankle weights-they're a waste of $ IMO. Instead properly train with Kettlebells by doing things such as Swings, Goblet Squats, Get Ups, etc.
  • stanmann571
    I'd agree-look into Pavel's books. They're very informative, funny, and have workouts such as Simple and Sinister which is a good beginner workout.

Also, don't do wrist and ankle weights-they're a waste of $ IMO. Instead properly train with Kettlebells by doing things such as Swings, Goblet Squats, Get Ups, etc.

It's important to understand that he is trying to be funny and is playing a bit of a character turned up to 11. It's who he really is, but it's exaggerated for effect and to keep you engaged.
  • LisaMoxon155
    Thanks to everyones reply
  • mistressectraz
    mistressectraz Posts: 1 Member
    I attend Kettlebell classes twice a week, best to start on a 6 or 8kg weight but you will find you need to get heavier quick. I have been using 12kg (for snatches as I have a very weak left arm) and 16kg for every other Kettlebell exercise. Google: swings, snatches, goblet squats, cleans and press. Add in some cardio workout in between each rep - most of all enjoy. I love my Kettlebell workouts.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Zuzka on YouTube has a number of kettlebell workouts. Body fit by Amy is another that springs to mind.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I do Kettlercise. Started in classes with qualified instructor, now do at home as well with Kettlercise DVDs. Really good stuff, & emphasises good form.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member

Dumbbells tend to be more versatile, and lower cost, especially if you get a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I'd also get a set of resistance bands that can attach to a door, for horizontal exercises. Good brands include Bodylastics and Black Mountain. If you still have funds left over, kettlebells make a nice supplement. Keep in mind that fast movements like kettlebell swings are advanced movements that can injure an out of shape newbie. :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Dumbbells tend to be more versatile, and lower cost, especially if you get a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I'd also get a set of resistance bands that can attach to a door, for horizontal exercises. Good brands include Bodylastics and Black Mountain. If you still have funds left over, kettlebells make a nice supplement. Keep in mind that fast movements like kettlebell swings are advanced movements that can injure an out of shape newbie. :+1:

I gotta disagree here. A kettlebell is far, far more versatile than dumbbells. And kb swings are hardly an advanced movement.
  • stanmann571
    edited June 2017
    rybo wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I gotta disagree here. A kettlebell is far, far more versatile than dumbbells. And kb swings are hardly an advanced movement.

I have to agree, I can't think of a single exercise that you can do with a dumbbell that can't be done with a KB. OTOH, swings with a dumbbell --look silly, increase injury risk.

Although, most people I've watched either use too little weight, or too little ROM on swings.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I do not have experience working out solely with kettlebells, but I tend to agree with @Cherimoose that a combination of dumbbells and resistance bands will offer the most versatility for the money. For a female, I would say a good place to start with dumbbells would be 5, 8 and 10# sets and buy heavier sets as the need arises. I would not use ankle or wrist weights, especially for any type of dance based movements, as you could easily end up injured.

Since you enjoy working out with dance DVDs, I am going to suggest looking into the Firm workout videos. They offer a good combination of weight training and cardio. I know they may seem a little old school or dated, but they are very effective. I started out using them back in the early 90s and found them to be a great introduction to training with weights. They use light weights and offer good instructions on proper form. They are how I learned to do proper squats, lunges, overhead presses, etc. I know they are still producing them and I have seen them for sale at Target and Costco.
  • stanmann571
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I do not have experience working out solely with kettlebells, but I tend to agree with @Cherimoose that a combination of dumbbells and resistance bands will offer the most versatility for the money. For a female, I would say a good place to start with dumbbells would be 5, 8 and 10# sets and buy heavier sets as the need arises.

I would say that a good place to start would be 15 or 25# sets.

Anything smaller than a newborn or nearly newborn is a toy.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    check out suspension trainers, for not much more you can get something like a TRX which is way more versatile than just a single KB or hand weights. And more fun in my opinion.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I do not have experience working out solely with kettlebells, but I tend to agree with @Cherimoose that a combination of dumbbells and resistance bands will offer the most versatility for the money. For a female, I would say a good place to start with dumbbells would be 5, 8 and 10# sets and buy heavier sets as the need arises. I would not use ankle or wrist weights, especially for any type of dance based movements, as you could easily end up injured.

Since you enjoy working out with dance DVDs, I am going to suggest looking into the Firm workout videos. They offer a good combination of weight training and cardio. I know they may seem a little old school or dated, but they are very effective. I started out using them back in the early 90s and found them to be a great introduction to training with weights. They use light weights and offer good instructions on proper form. They are how I learned to do proper squats, lunges, overhead presses, etc. I know they are still producing them and I have seen them for sale at Target and Costco.

Kettlebells and dumbbells each have their place. If you're going to do something like one leg weighted calf raises, it doesn't matter what shape the weight is. Hold a dumbbell, hold a kettlebell, hold a plate for a barbell system, whatever.

If you want to do dynamic exercises, some require the unbalanced weight of a kettlebell. Dummbell swings and snatches just aren't the same thing as kettlebell swings and snatches. I learned to do Turkish get ups with an 8 lb. dumbbell, and worked my way up to 15 lbs. Then the gym I was going to got some kettlebells, and I switched to the 15 lb. kettlebell. It forced me to clean up my form. That impressed me so much I bought some kettlebells to have at home. Yes, they cost more than dumbbells; but like dumbbells, they last forever and are not subject to technological obsolescence. The 35 lb. kettelbell I bought 5 years ago still weighs 35 lbs. The $70 I spent 5 years ago to buy it is ancient history, irrelevant to this month's budget. (If only running shoes gave me that kind of value for the money!)

Real kettlebell fans will disagree, but IMO the balanced weight of dumbbells is better for overhead presses and chest presses. For squats, it's just *different*. I'd hold dumbells in my arms hanging down to do squats. I hold kettlebells in the rack position to do squats. I suppose I could hold dumbbells in the rack position, but the kettlebells sit in my living room and are convenient in the morning, so that's what I use.

In many cases, it comes down to what you prefer and what you will actually *do*. An okay strength training routine that you will do consistently beats the perfect strength training routine that you do for 2 weeks then just think about and maybe do once every 3 or 4 weeks.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Pavel is a good source of information, but his style is a bit much. Tracy Reiflind is also a decent resource.

Regarding the choice between KB's, dumbbells, suspension trainers, etc. You don't have to limit yourself to one toolset. As you get stronger you can add new equipment as your budget.permits.