Options
courtneykk
courtneykk Posts: 18 Member
I am looking for a good lowfat taco recipe using lean ground beef..Thanks

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've stepped away from the beef and switched to turkey... But I REALLY love Shrimp tacos. I have an awesome recipe for that if you'd like
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you need to use the extra lean ground beef lean is still fatty. use whole wheat wraps instead of flour tortillas. instead of using taco seasoning mix use a salt-less seasoning with some chilli powder in there and top with your favorite fresh veggies, little bit of shredded cheddar cheese and salsa.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my tacos with avocado, fresh diced toms and a dallop of non-fat greek yogurt (instead of sour cream). I usually just buy a low sodium taco seasoning packet and use half of it. If I don't have a packet, just season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, etc.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lean ground turkey: browned
    Add vegetarian refried beans
    Add jar (ish) of favorite salsa or make your own
    Stir stir stir

simmer for 5 to 15 min occasionally stirring.

This is a STAPLE in our house. i prefer veg refried beans because of oil and fat content. You can do hard or soft tacos/burritos, or anything you want. We've frozen it for a few weeks and it thawed great.
  • lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use the Jennie-o Turkey that is already seasoned with taco seasoning. It is sooooooooooooo delicious and low fat! Then, I would use corn tortillas, a little low fat mozzarella, and as much salsa and veggies as you'd like!
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    lean lean lean (96/3) ground beef if you don't like turkey. But i found in this recipe, you don't get the dry turkey feel in your mouth because of the salsa.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I use very lean ground beef and add a very small drizzle of olive oil for a little bit of moisture and I normally add whatever sounds good that day: a package of low sodium taco seasoning, or a mixture of cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, a splash of hot sauce, pepper and some sea salt.... it's all up to you!. Or, I will use tilapia that I've baked, or chicken, shrimp, etc. And I use lettuce instead of tortillas to save on the calories and carbs. We love to do taco night at our house :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually just brown the ground beef (about a lb.) with chopped garlic and several tablespoons of dried minced onions (I don't know why - but the dried onions taste better in this recipe than fresh onions). Add a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce, a few teaspoons of chili powder, a half a teaspoon of cumin and salt/pepper to taste. Let it simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. It makes delicious tacos! I get a lot of requests for the recipe.

(I'm having them tonight, as a matter of fact) :-)
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think once you use the lean meat, everything else is low fat.....
    Lettuce, Tomato, you may want to skip the sour cream unless you find a good one.
    The cheese you use may need to be reduced fat.
    I usually add salsa to the meat mix along with taco seasoning
    I also found a great tortilla (soft) you may want to look for but they are kinda dry.
    (La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb High Fiber Large Whole Wheat Tortilla - Low Carb High Fiber Large Whole Wheat Tortilla)
    80 calories
    3 Fat
    18 Carbs
    8 Protein
    12 Fiber
    1 Sugar
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've used the Turkey w/ low sodium seasoning instead, freshed veggies a little low fat cheese. Instead of tortillas, I use a romaine leaf.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I made nachos last night in the crock pot, but you could tweak the ingredients to suit a taco. I threw in a pound of extra lean ground beef, a can of drained black beans, a can of tomatoes (with juice), taco seasoning, frozen corn and sliced jalepenos. I left it on low for about 6 hours, and spooned it over tortilla chips with some salsa and sour cream. The beef and bean mix was just under 300 calories for a cup. If you tweak it and use a little less of the filling, you could have a great low calorie taco.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Boca's meatless gourmet crumbles? They easily take on any flavor you add to them. Only 60 calories for a 1/2 cup!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Honey to have some good TACOS I would say look for a produce store around your area and see if they carry "Arrachera" = skirt steak. **YUM** good both done on a skillet or on the grill they usually ask you if you wanted through the machine (this to tenderize) only 180calories for 3oz about 64 sodium, 0carbs, and 22 protein. To prepare I just season it with lawry's season and squeez some lemons on it top it off in a taco with ANYTHING you want it will be yummy!

Remember "Arrachera"
  • stillwater1978
    stillwater1978 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    these all sound delicious- I will be working taco night into the menu for next week!