Reccomendations needed for food diary

Options
Please make some suggestions on what I can do to improve my diet. Thanks!

Replies

• nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    Just made it public. Thank you!
  • nicolegetsfit
    Options
    Your food diary looks pretty spotless to me! What are you trying to improve on?
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ok it looks healthy but I have one comment.. are you trying to gain muscle? Because whey protein adds bulky muscle while soy protein adds leaner muscle... just a side not to consider.
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I agree with Nicolegetsfit, you're doing great! If you're worried about being over on sugar, don't be. Two apples in a day puts you over their calculation for sugar, so I ignore it myself. You're under on calories, fat, sodium... your diet looks really good!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me. If you really want to change things up, you can try fresh fruit with plain yogurt instead of the pre-prepared one and/or ditch the Fiber One bars. Perhaps focus on lower sugar fruits, and maybe even replace some of the fruits with vegetables. Personally, I stay away from grains and would also recommend that, but "to each her own". :flowerforyou:
  • kmjudge
    kmjudge Posts: 25
    Options
    Your food diary looks great, if you're looking to just pep up your diet try adding apple cider vinegar to any salad, it's incredibly good for you and 0 calories. Also, replace any added salt and black with cayenne pepper. Get 100% cranberry juice, add an oz to 8 oz, put in some Stevia and you have a yummy drink all day long. Just some ideas that I love!
  • nmclaurin
    Options
    Thank you guys. Just trying to get into the habit of eating more unprocessed foods. I like the suggestion of ditching all processed food, though.

I am trying to build muscle although I do not have a formal strength training routine. I thought soy protein was not good for you...
  • nmclaurin
    Options
    Yes, I am ALWAYS over my sugar limit. It is quite annoying. One banana has over 11 grams, but I thought bananas were good for you. I will ignore it. Thanks so much for the advice, guys.
  • nmclaurin
    Options
    photorific, I thought whole grains were good for you? The bread I eat contains no flour. it's basically Trader Joe's brand of "ezekial" brand bread.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I just looked at this week, but it looks like you eat pretty well. Your sugar intake is sometimes high, maybe because of the snacks. It looks like you're getting plenty of protein and vegetables, so keep that up.

Also, you're not tracking water, so make sure you're getting 8 cups worth (counting coffee, tea, and "water-heavy" fruits and veggies.

As for the whey vs. soy protein comment- I disagree. Whether you bulk up depends more on the type of training you're doing (i.e. lighter weight/more reps = "leaner" muscle, heavy weight/less reps/maxing out = bulkier muscles).

Soy is better is you're a vegetarian/vegan, as whey is a "milk product." For people who should limit their soy (i.e. men, people with hypothyroidism), whey is better.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    ok it looks healthy but I have one comment.. are you trying to gain muscle? Because whey protein adds bulky muscle while soy protein adds leaner muscle... just a side not to consider.

This isn't true at all. Stick with your whey protein as it WILL help you build lean muscle mass - you're a woman and will not gain "bulky muscle" from any kind of protein. And yes, also as a woman, you shouldn't be consuming too much soy.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options

As for the whey vs. soy protein comment- I disagree. Whether you bulk up depends more on the type of training you're doing (i.e. lighter weight/more reps = "leaner" muscle, heavy weight/less reps/maxing out = bulkier muscles).

I have to agree and disagree. Yes on the Whey. No on the bulking up. You will absolutely NOT BULK up from doing heavy weight/less reps, but instead will end up looking leaner than if you just do lighter weight/more reps. You will be leaner AND stronger with the heavier weight/less reps.
  • nmclaurin
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys! Yes, i also thought whey protein was better than soy protein. Excessive soy consumeption is a risk factor for breast cancer.