High fibre meals

Options
sophiejx618
sophiejx618 Posts: 6 Member
I need to go on a high fibre diet but stuck for ideas, breakfast lunch dinner and snacks. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How high is high?

Fibrous vegies, and fruit (berries are good) beans/legumes/wholegrains/quinoa/chia,
    Avo/nuts for fat over oils

Fibre enriched foods too.
  • sassafrass00
    sassafrass00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I like Engine 2 oat waffles topped with mixed berries or Engine 2 mighty muffins. The main ingredient in the muffins is oat bran but they are very tasty. For lunch, Spanish rice made with brown rice & extra tomatoes, onions & green peppers or a baked potato topped with refried beans & salsa. Eat either one with a huge side of veggies, 1-2 cups maybe. For snacks, an apple with 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter, or fresh veggies with some hummus. For ideas, I really like the Engine 2 books, China Study cookbook, or Forks over Knives cookbook.

• ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely change everything, just tweak it. Look for high fibre bread. Here in Canada I can get Country Harvest High Fibre Bread (1 slice is 100 cals with 8 grams of fibre). Try looking for higher fibre pastas, use brown instead of white rice. Look up fruits and vegs with a higher fibre content and try to eat those more often. You can add All Bran cereal/buds to yogurt, cereal or granola. Or grind it up and use to coat your chicken or blend with a smoothie. I have IBS so really try to meet my fibre goals. I also use Benefibre powder. It dissolves smoothly into any liquid or soft food with no taste. 2 tsp is 10 cals and gives you 6 grams of fibre. Start comparing labels and I bet you'll find it easier than you thought to get there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I need to go on a high fibre diet but stuck for ideas, breakfast lunch dinner and snacks. Can anyone help me?

Don't do this all at once or you will be very uncomfortable.

Whole foods - whole grains, veggies, fruit

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/high-fiber-diet-to-prevent-or-treat-diverticulitis-topic-overview#1

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/fiber-groceries
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Add a side of seasoned beans, or blend into your dishes (like in a rice dish), or add beans when you make soup.
  • jessiedee94
    jessiedee94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is awesome - a bajillion recipes online.
    I add bran flakes and frozen raspberries to my regular cereal or protein smoothie,
    Sooo many green veggies,
    Add ground flax seed to pasta sauce - you don't even taste the difference :)
    Certain breads/buns are higher in fibre - I love Ozery multigrain rounds.
    Soak prunes in water overnight then blend, I use it as sweetener in probiotic yogurt.
    So many little tricks :)
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I keep it simple with a store brand "high fiber" oatmeal. It has about 10g fiber/packet. I add ground flax and fresh berries to it. FiberOne cereal if Im not in the mood for oatmeal. Then an apple or pear throughout the day and veggies w lunch/dinner and I'm at 25-30g
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Don't do this all at once or you will be very uncomfortable.

Whole foods - whole grains, veggies, fruit

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/high-fiber-diet-to-prevent-or-treat-diverticulitis-topic-overview#1

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/fiber-groceries
    Yes! Any time you increase fiber, do it slowly and drink a ton of water. It will have the opposite effect otherwise or cause a ton of gas/bloating!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I once had lentils and ended up with 40 grams of fiber for the day. I was in bed almost crying due to gas discomfort. I ended up sleeping in a different room that night due to the farting. Just a warning of what can happen if you're not used to it. Even my cat left the room.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruit, whole grains. Aim for 8-10 grams per meal. Easy.