How to stick to cutoff time when eating at night?

Options
Honestly, I'm the worst at this. I eat late at night when I shouldn't.. it doesn't seem to be affecting me, but everyone recommends a cut off time. What time do you stop( And how do you stick to it?

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I stop once I've run out of calories. I plan to eat most of my calories late as this is what works for me. I train in the evening and have dinner plus dessert (from about 7:30/8 to 9:30/10)

There is nothing wrong with eating late, unless it causes you issues with sleep, if you stick to your calorie goal.

This^^^
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Caloriewise eating late is no problem. Lifestyle wise though, if you are trying to improve your sleep eating late can cause heartburn, or turn into a habit where yoy wake up to eat, which might screw up your sleep schedule. Since a bunch of studies now are saying better sleep also helps keep hunger and stuff in check, not to mention all the other benefits of a full nights sleep, it's best to avoud habits that disturb that. I personally need to eat something light right before bed, otherwise I can't fall asleep. Lately I've started adding a metamucil drink and a gin-gin (chewy ginger candy) just to convince my stomach that yes, there really is no reason to wake up at 2:30 am to eat. It seems to be working, and I'm sleeping through till my alarm now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cutoff time, but I'm snuggled up in bed by 7:30-8pm every night. I watch tv in there instead of out in the living room where I'm way more prone to snacking. Once I'm in bed i don't think about food.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything after 6pm and I don't eat again until 10am (Intermittent Fasting). You have to be disciplined and possess a high level of willpower.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything after 6pm and I don't eat again until 10am (Intermittent Fasting). You have to be disciplined and possess a high level of willpower.

Great that that works for you.

It gives no added benefit for weight loss though. You can spread your calories out over the full 24 hours if you like and get the same results.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No you don't. I am doing this and it takes me no willpower at all. If it does for you, maybe it's not for you?
  • cljeverall
    cljeverall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My last meal (a casein shake plus either a small amount of blueberries or nuts if I need to top up my macros) is taken just before I go upstairs to bed.

This works absolutely fine for me and has not stalled or prevented weight loss. It also stops me feeling starving in the morning so I don't feel tempted to over indulge at breakfast.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great that that works for you.

It gives no added benefit for weight loss though. You can spread your calories out over the full 24 hours if you like and get the same results.

Yes, I've tried different strategies and found that 3 larger meals over 8hrs are more satiating than 5/6 smaller meals spread over 12-16hrs which usually led to overeating.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I eat my last food at approx. 10pm when in bed (small bowl of cereal) - no issues with losing weight - there is newer research that potential indicates maintenance/increase of lean muscle mass with people who eat a carb snack before bed vs. those who cut off eating at a certain time - but I haven't had a chance to read the full article
  • GetFitForAJ
    GetFitForAJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This could be a dumb question. I was always told not to go to bed immediately after having dinner. I need to give atleast couple of hours between dinner and bed time to not gain weight. it is not true?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    This could be a dumb question. I was always told not to go to bed immediately after having dinner. I need to give atleast couple of hours between dinner and bed time to not gain weight. it is not true?

No. Not true at all
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It's not true. Think about it from a view point that your body is your car. Does it matter what time you filled the engine?
    It only matters that you have enough fuel to drive from a-b. Not enough fuel and you can break down, too much fuel and you are sluggish and get less miles to the gallon.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you're not having problems sticking to your calories, you don't have to have a cutoff time.

When I'm trying to keep to a certain window of eating, I brush my teeth after the last thing I intend to eat and only drink water the rest of the evening. Keeps me from snacking or grabbing one last glass of wine

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that, because my weigh-in is first thing Sunday morning, I try to finish my daily calories a little earlier on Saturday evening. Just give my body a tiny bit longer to digest the food.

...Because 0.2 lbs lower is oh so very important. But hey, even if it's psychological, it works. Otherwise, timing is nothing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't put s time limit on when I eat or don't.

The only thing I try to keep constant is my protien intake since it's quite a bit (220-240g).

I've been known to fall asleep early and leave up to 3000 cals on table which takes a few days to catch up, but it's all about dailly average caloric intake.

If your hungry eat more, or eat later in day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    If you're not having problems sticking to your calories, you don't have to have a cutoff time.
    I think this. A cutoff time is good for you if, but only if, it helps you stick to your calories. If you have trouble sticking to a cutoff time, but no truble sticking to your calories when you don't have a cutoff time, you shouldn't have a cutoff time.
    When I'm trying to keep to a certain window of eating, I brush my teeth after the last thing I intend to eat and only drink water the rest of the evening. Keeps me from snacking or grabbing one last glass of wine
    Almost exactly what I do too.
  • ElleHeart22
    ElleHeart22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it. :)