Cardio for injury?

Options
I had surgery a few weeks ago to repair my ACL. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for good cardio exercises that I can do without use of my knee? Thanks!

Replies

• AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Swim with a pull buoy between your legs.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I have (small) children so swimming with them is difficult to get my heart rate going. I used to love running and going for walks and riding my bike. I currently walk around the block (as much as my knee will tolerate) twice a day. I really miss how active I used to be, but it doesn't look like I'll be back to that any time soon. It might sound dumb, but I really can't think of much of any kind of cardio that doesn't involve my leg.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine. Boxing. Battle ropes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ataraxial
    Options
    Also, I normally eat like a horse, and I'm 75% of the time on my couch and bored, therefore eating more. I don't want to gain a lot of weight, and I have been avoiding the scale since I've been laid up.
  • ataraxial
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What are battle ropes?
  • ataraxial
    Options
    Nevermind, googled it. I was thinking something that I could do at home. Boxing is a possibility :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ataraxial wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What are battle ropes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bv4D7ii_0

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nevermind, googled it. I was thinking something that I could do at home. Boxing is a possibility :)
    Battle ropes can be done at home.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I have (small) children so swimming with them is difficult to get my heart rate going.

Having an injury is really depressing. I hope you have adequate support. A little childcare would seem essential.

I also had a knee injury a few years back. Here's what I did:

Swim (This was the life saver. Excellent cardo. Many Y's have childcare. The injury was several years ago and I'm still swimming stronger than ever!)
    Kayak (went to a kayak rental place that took care of the boat and helped me in and out)
    Upper body weightlifting (totally do-able with a knee injury using weightlifting machines. could do some at home with dumbbells and resistance bands, but machines are easier. You could end your recovery with the best upper body strength of your life)
    Core (yes, you can do sit-ups with a knee injury)

Best of luck for your recovery. It will get better!
  • ataraxial
    Options
    I don't have them lying around ;) I did find a video that I thought was pretty good. http://vitalitybyjenni.com/upper-body-cardio-workout/
  • ataraxial
    Options
    I should also mention that I have (small) children so swimming with them is difficult to get my heart rate going.

Having an injury is really depressing. I hope you have adequate support. A little childcare would seem essential.

I also had a knee injury a few years back. Here's what I did:

Swim (This was the life saver. Excellent cardo. Many Y's have childcare. The injury was several years ago and I'm still swimming stronger than ever!)
    Kayak (went to a kayak rental place that took care of the boat and helped me in and out)
    Upper body weightlifting (totally do-able with a knee injury using weightlifting machines. could do some at home with dumbbells and resistance bands, but machines are easier. You could end your recovery with the best upper body strength of your life)
    Core (yes, you can do sit-ups with a knee injury)

Best of luck for your recovery. It will get better!

Thanks! I actually live in a very small town and we don't generally utilize a babysitter unless we have big plans. We have four kids and two of them are babies. We have a family pass to the pool, but I'm feeling especially self-conscious. My work also has an indoor pool that I have access to, maybe after the kids are in bed I will check it out :). My husband has been amazing support and so have my older children. I was feeling a bit depressed but in the past week I've made huge strides in recovering. I couldn't walk around the block before and now I can so just getting out of the house helps. I just really miss going for long walks and bike rides with my family. I really appreciate the reply!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am having knee problems as well and I'm doing my PT exercises. It's not cardio but I'm sure it helps. I'm also really going for it with the food scale/ calorie counting to get my weight down because the extra weight makes my knees worse.

I bet swimming with your kids is good to do but be careful! Ask your PT or look at youtube for safe, healing moves for the pool.

Good luck with your recovery.