Anybody walking for weight loss?

Options
HighlandPony17
HighlandPony17 Posts: 55 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I am walking between 30 mins and 60 mins twice a day, 6 days a week and the weight is dropping off slowly but surely and at 18 stone 5 my weight is too much to consider running on my arthritic joints...But I am enjoying and motivated to walk. I am using map my walk to help me know how long the routes are and how long and far I have been walking....combined with spotify music it makes it more interesting if I have no one to walk with.

I am also recording weight, exercise and food with MFP

Replies

• HighlandPony17
    Options
    I dont think i will be running for awhile yet but I am loving walking :smiley:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't "walk to lose" but I don't do cardio. I try to walk home from work a few times per week. Still, I only average like 12k steps. If I didn't take those walks I'd not be active enough.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I walk for my health and fitness, but not for weight loss. I could lose weight without exercising by monitoring simple calorie intake.

But I think walking is a fantastic and underrated exercise, and helped me immensely in the beginning to just get out and start moving when I started by being almost completely sedentary. I now walk everyday at lunch, just because I enjoy being outside and clearing my head, graduated C25k, completed multiple races, and now workout 3-5 days a week with lifting and cardio. It all started with walking.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    walking like crazy! Using MFP & Fitbit :)
  • NightShadeMary
    NightShadeMary Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I walk for my cardio and I love it! My goal is to walk at least four days a week - usually weekdays. My time goal is at least twenty minutes, but I usually do between thirty and forty. The twenty minutes is my pep talk for unmotivated days. "Look, I know you don't feel like it, but we just have to do twenty minutes, then you can stop." Of course I'm usually feeling really good after five or ten and keep going past twenty! I'll walk on the weekends if I can, but I'm usually on my feet most of the day doing things around the house and grocery shopping, so I don't worry about any specific exercise because I'm active most of the day anyway. I'm just getting started on my weight loss - I'm nearly twelve pounds down so far, and I also track my food and stay plenty hydrated.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 3 miles per day as part of my overall fitness routine. I also do yoga and body weight exercises for strength and fitness as well. I'm sure the calorie burn I get helps but CICO is my weight loss program.
  • HighlandPony17
    Options
    I sometimes just do 20 mins when I dont want to go but mostly try to do more :) I am down almost half a stone already in a month, so well happy with that.

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I walk to lose; I know I could lose by just limiting calories, but I don't stick to it if I have to eat low. Walking helps me earn enough food to keep me happy in a day while still eating at a deficit. It's my main exercise, though I sometimes run (no more than a mile at a time max), lift weights, or do gardening work. I lost 28 lbs that way, though I backslid some over winter.
  • walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started walking after giving up those nasty Cigs. Best think I ever did for myself. I needed something to take the place of that horrible habit and began walking just 1 mile a day. After 1 year I noticed that I dropped some weight
    and decided to CICO with MFP just to see if there were good results. I have dropped a few more pounds and am up to 3 miles a day. Next week I am going to start Stronglift 5x5 that I read about on this site. Wish me luck.
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My SO and I try to walk a mile before dinner every night. Sometimes we'll go to a park and walk/hike a couple miles. We never feel like lounging around after we eat and sometimes have the energy to do another mile after dinner if it isn't too hot. I think the concistsncy is what keeps us going with our other exercise a few times a week.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    That was how I started. One 25-minute walk/day, come hell or high water. Now it's 2 hours if I can get it. If I can't, then an hour on the fitness glider or a weights-and-cardio routine, but I prefer walks. And now, I have a walking buddy on Saturdays!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Walking my dog is main form of cardio,
    She's a great motivator when I'm not really in the mood
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I broke my knee last nov so a lot of exercise wasn't possible when I started in march. But I started walking... my knee is still painful at times but I push through it (physios advice!) and I make sure I get in 10,000 + steps everyday now. I've lost 29lbs since the end of march and I feel amazing.

Ive started to add in other exercise classes now too.

Give yourself little goals each week to walk slightly further...

Good luck xx
  • sawguoyi923
    sawguoyi923 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me!! Definitely HUGE advocate of walking as cardio to get calories outta the way. Strap in some audiobooks and a couple rounds in the park
  • in_faith
    in_faith Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just started walking as exercise about a month ago and am loving it. I got a FitBit and was added as a friend to a small group of ladies who now do workweek challenges to see how many steps we can get it. It makes it fun.

I'm walking about 10-20k steps a day. (My trainer had challenged me to 13k per day avg/ 15k 6/7 days per week.) I'm a slowish walker so I do around 6-7k steps/hour now. I'll increase speed in time.

Walking is helping me lose weight past a point where I've been stuck at for years.

With all the walking my foot is showing a bunion now. Ugh. So my trainer told me about Altra wide toe box, zero drop running shoes. I tried some on locally but ordered the colors I wanted online and can't wait to get them. I am so over pointed toe Nikes which also have high heels, cramming the toes further to distort their shape. I was measured at running store as 8.5 women's, and since my feet are wide, was recommended to get Altra men's 8.5 .. which surprised me but the size is right (reconfirmed by manager at another running shoe store). Apparently several women runners with wide feet buy men's shoes.

Looking forward to normal toe splay and to stop bunion progression and hip pain with these proper running/walking shoes!

Any walkers please add me!