Am i doing this right?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm 21 years old, male, and I am at 128,4kg recently decided to lose weight and started a 1500 calorie diet.
My job is sitting all day in front of a computer and i don't exercise much any more.
Is it ok to eat the 1500 calories or are there negative effects?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1500 is the lowest you should be eating. Is that the goal MFP gave you?
  • Unknown834
    Unknown834 Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No its not. It was 1840.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1840. :)
  • Unknown834
    Options
    At 1500 im not exercising, if i go to the 1840 can what type of exercise can i do?
  • malibu927
    Options
    Unknown834 wrote: »
    At 1500 im not exercising, if i go to the 1840 can what type of exercise can i do?

Whatever you want. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it will make you feel better and give you more to eat.
  • Unknown834
    Options
    Im the most impatience man that anyone probably ever met, I was blinded to my own weight and becamee too fat. And now i wanna lose it has fast has possible, what is the most i can lose a week without health side effects?
    (i have a long family history of heart issues and i really really don't wanna go through that)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose:

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't gain your weight overnight; you won't lose it overnight either. Slow and steady...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Assuming you entered all your inputs correctly, the 1840 is your goal before dedicated exercise. You should be eating the 1840 + some or all of your exercise calories.
  • Unknown834
    Options
    i already configured it to lose 2lb a week, i need to lose 80lbs to find myself at an acceptable level. It will still take me 40 weeks. And its time i don't have since i am supposed to be doing other things by then, but if i cant do anything else about then stick to the plan and wait.

I would like to thank everyone that helped me out in this post, Thank you malibu927, RodaRose and esterdragon.
  • malibu927
    Options
    2 pounds/1 kilogram per week is fine for now, but you'll find as you get closer to your goal you'll want to lower your deficit to preserve muscle.

Look at it this way...you didn't put it on in 40 weeks, right? So to expect it to come off quicker than that is unreasonable.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i did 1200 cals LCHF for several months and had no ill effects. MFP said something like 2000. I had a lot to lose. I lost 120 pounds in 10 months...just saying that sometimes you dont know til you try. NOT looking for arguments
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I started with 124 lbs to lose. I'm just past the halfway point on that and it's been nearly eight months. This is very doable, especially if you break it down into manageable goals. And eating the full calories MFP gives you will help you stay healthy help keep the process as painless as possible.
  • Unknown834
    Options
    I really like things done fast and precisely, and I was looking for the fastest way to do it without putting me in danger. I'm really thankful for the help, sorry i didn't mention your name in my last post Alice but you wrote it while i was typing. Ill stick with the 1kg per week for now, and be glad about it.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Unknown834 wrote: »
    I really like things done fast and precisely, and I was looking for the fastest way to do it without putting me in danger. I'm really thankful for the help, sorry i didn't mention your name in my last post Alice but you wrote it while i was typing. Ill stick with the 1kg per week for now, and be glad about it.

I think this is a great plan. Remember, the time is going to pass anyway. You might as well spend that time working toward your goal. In a year, you will look back and be amazed at how far you've come. You've got this!
  • Unknown834
    Options
    Ill do what ill always done when it comes to timely issues, put on some good old rock and roll and work on my projects to pass time :\
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    You can still live your life while you're losing the weight. After all, once you have lost the 80 pounds, you will still need to be watching what you eat or you'll just gain it right back.

The main thing about not losing weight too fast is it's not sustainable in the longer term. If you eat too little, you will start feeling deprived and hungry, so you'll want to start eating the foods you miss. Instead of losing the 80 pounds, you'll give up trying to lose the weight and quickly gain back whatever weight you did lose. And you'll be one of the many who say, "Diets don't work." They do work if you are willing to commit to the long term. Do what you need to stay healthy, but also to not feel starved.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you eat the 1500 there's no where to go from there. As your weight decreases your calorie needs decrease but you've chosen the bottom. So what happens later when you should be decreasing? You've just made it harder on yourself. Eat the 1840. If you log accurately, you'll lose weight. Then as your weight decreases you have room to lower your calories as needed.