Any breastfeeding moms? Question about calories.

Just had a baby boy in May and I need to lose 40Ibs. How does the calories work while breadtfeeding? Do I need to add calories to my 1800 goal to account for breastfeeding? If so how many calories do I need to add?

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited June 2017
    The general rule of thumb is 500 for exclusive breastfeeding - your baby takes in no solids, no formula, just breastmilk. Once you add solids or forumal, most women do 250-300 from what I understand. You can add it as excercise, or search the food database for breastfeeding and it will add negative calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    this post has alot of great info about calorie counting while breastfeeding if you are up for a bit of reading:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • bkbusby
    bkbusby Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you!
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2017
    I found I used a lot more than the 500 calorie reccomendation when breastfeeding. I did read a couple of studies that indicated the actual amount of extra energy you need is more like 700-800, but they round it down to account for extra body fat gained during pregnancy, to cover the extra couple of hundred calories.

While my baby was under 2 months, I maintained weight with an extra 850 calories a day. This has slowly tapered down - she is 11 months now. I add an extra 400ish on to myfitnesspals goal and am still losing weight. She nurses 3 times overnight and about 4 times during the day. When she was a very tiny newborn, I actually ate way more than I thought I should and still dropped about 10lbs when she was between 6 weeks and 4 months.

I didn't try to lose weight, but to maintain, while she was little. I had a lot on my plate. Now that she's eating lots of real foods and life isn't as hectic, I am back to losing weight again.
  • mom2babyk31
    mom2babyk31 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm a new mom to a 2month old and I can't seem to drop any weight. When I eat clean and exercise I notice a reduction in my milk supply. I can't seem to find that sweet spot.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    How often are you feeding, @mom2babyk31

You should feed on demand for as long as bubs want to get - and maintain - a good supply. I'm 2kg under my pre-pregnancy weight at 4 months post-partum and my supply is great because I'm nursing on demand 24/7
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Im also nursing on demand 24/7 some women find eating in a deficit effects thier supply
    You can set mfp to maintenance and let breastfeeding create a deficit for you. Keep an eye on supply, if the deficit effects you then up your calories a couple hundred and keep a close eye

I have to carefully monitor my input as if i stray too far from maintenance my supply dips and i have to eat alot more while i feed and pump to get it back up
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I think you should step back from the app and just eat what you need to, to feel good. You can also go to weight loss after you've finished breastfeeding.