Forgetting I'm Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ZephieC wrote: »
    Yes. I have been blindsided by photos a couple times not realising how much weight I'd put on. I have taken before/during pics and measurements since I started in January. I still don't see an obvious change in the mirror even though I lost 20 lbs and went down sizes/inches. Maybe because I see myself every day...9seefubzy8ze.jpg
    df9ugx20as4g.jpg

You don't see that? I see quite a large difference! You're doing very well! Keep up the good work.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did a before and I'll take my after when my program is all done. Then I'll take another after I finish the whole program again.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm more the opposite, can't quite believe how much smaller I am now and still see myself at 20+stone

eta : I take photos on a monthly basis and will quite often see a big difference month to month even with a smaller weight loss.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised both ways.

When gaining weight, it was so gradual I really didn't notice. I tend to wear my clothes loose, so didn't have tight clothes as an indicator. Then I saw some pictures taken during a vacation trip and was really shocked at how much weight I had gained. When we got home, I began focusing on my diet and lost a lot of weight. A few years later I became a runner and changed the shape of my body even more. My husband thinks I'm too skinny, but it is hard for me to believe. When I look down at my body I see all my flaws, not the progress I've made. I see fat legs (which are actually more muscle than fat) and a bit of a belly and think I still need to lose weight. But then I see race photos and am surprised to see that I really am at a good weight.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    fitpeawing wrote: »
    Wow, you guys! Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts. I felt quite alone for some time and wasn't sure how I felt about this. You're all amazing! I might start my own album to keep track.

Yes, start an album. That's what inspired me to create an instagram account. All of my super fat pictures, I wanted to delete - but I am happy I didn't.

Here is another thing...I hate when I weigh myself and I'm not happy with the number, so I don't record it...and then a week later (like today) I lose 2.5 lbs and the full journey isn't captured because I was too unhappy with the number on the scale. So capture each moment, even if you aren't happy with it... Just know that one day it will be your before picture or weight :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fitpeawing wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever forgotten how big/overweight they are? I didn't realized how much weight I've gained until I saw a photo of myself from the weekend. Looking in the mirror everyday, I thought I was okay.

Has anyone found taking photos of themselves on a consistent basis to be a good motivator/self check for weight loss?

Taking progress photos is always a good idea because we see ourselves in the mirror every day and it can be difficult to see the small and subtle changes on a day to day basis. I remember I took my first real photo at 210 (down from 220) and did a side by side because I felt like nothing was really different...it was definitely noticeable on the photo.

I usually put on a good 10 Lbs every winter and this winter was no different...it's a slow and gradual process, and I will look in the mirror and be all, "not too bad really"...I'm usually pretty motivated to cut it usually starting in February, but this year I was just kinda meh about the whole thing until April when my wife took a picture of me and my kids at the hotel pool and I was like, "ok...yeah, that's gotta go."
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    ZephieC wrote: »
    Yes. I have been blindsided by photos a couple times not realising how much weight I'd put on. I have taken before/during pics and measurements since I started in January. I still don't see an obvious change in the mirror even though I lost 20 lbs and went down sizes/inches. Maybe because I see myself every day

You don't see that? I see quite a large difference! You're doing very well! Keep up the good work.

I see it in the pictures but not in the mirror.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Photos can be misleading and don't work for me. I've lost 3kg in my phase 2 loss and already my waist has shrunk from a 32 to a 28 inches. However I am still very overweight and fat. Why? Because most of weight is on my hips, thighs, and bums and they haven't shifted an inch.

So in photos I look a lot slimmer but actually I'm really not.