Extreme Bloating After Workout

So I recently got back into working out this week and decided to work on weight loss and building/toning muscle (which i've never done).
I did A LOT of ab work today and was really proud of myself for doing so much.... I felt great (sore, but great). But when I looked in the mirror I was HUGE (stomach, abdomen)... I looked better coming to the gym than I did leaving....
What's up with that? Is it normal to swell that much? Like, i legit looked like I was about to give birth any day now (I normally don't look like that at all).
I didn't eat before I went to work out... the swelling hasn't gone down at all since then (I've had oatmeal cereal for breakfast and veggies+chicken+brown rice for dinner).

Replies

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i always weigh more after the gym.. i assume its swelling from the breaking down and building of the muscle combined with water weight.. i drink a half a gallon atleast just while at the gym.. youll be back to normal once u wake up...
  • lfloyd4
    lfloyd4 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you had a physical exam in a while? Make an appointment with your Nurse Practitioner or Physician and get them in on your fitness goals!
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    i always weigh more after the gym.. i assume its swelling from the breaking down and building of the muscle combined with water weight.. i drink a half a gallon atleast just while at the gym.. youll be back to normal once u wake up...

When I was losing weight for the sake of weight loss a year ago I would be a little bloated after working out... but not this bloated! Does your weight gain last all day in a noticeable way?
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member

When I was losing weight for the sake of weight loss a year ago I would be a little bloated after working out... but not this bloated! Does your weight gain last all day in a noticeable way?

it literally lasts all day until i get 7 or more hours of sleep and wake up!! i lost alot of weight and now im very aware of my retaining of water. I know exactly how much i weigh at different times of the day. i retain anywhere from 7-15lbs of water during a heavy gym week. i use a dierutic to assist with this.. only thing that helps is consuming more fruits and when i drink closer to two gallons a day that really helps me...
  • hrdcore80
    hrdcore80 Posts: 5 Member
    Drink lots of water while working out! Good ol water retention
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    what's your breathing like during your workout? I have a habit of swallowing air which can make me feel horrible bloated after.
  • TasteofEnvy
    girlinahat wrote: »
    what's your breathing like during your workout? I have a habit of swallowing air which can make me feel horrible bloated after.

I honestly don't know how I breathe haha but i do know that that can be a problem! I'll try to pay attention next time :)
  • TasteofEnvy

it literally lasts all day until i get 7 or more hours of sleep and wake up!! i lost alot of weight and now im very aware of my retaining of water. I know exactly how much i weigh at different times of the day. i retain anywhere from 7-15lbs of water during a heavy gym week. i use a dierutic to assist with this.. only thing that helps is consuming more fruits and when i drink closer to two gallons a day that really helps me...

Your response is so relieving! Thank you so much!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

My weight is usually at it's lowest the first day of a 4 week lifting cycle, then I'll put on at least 1lb water weight a week for the next 3 weeks, before it steadily coming off during my 4th deload week along with a couple more lb for good luck. The most extreme water retention I had was 12lb after a half marathon (my first) that came off over 10 days.
  • TasteofEnvy
    firef1y72 wrote: »

My weight is usually at it's lowest the first day of a 4 week lifting cycle, then I'll put on at least 1lb water weight a week for the next 3 weeks, before it steadily coming off during my 4th deload week along with a couple more lb for good luck. The most extreme water retention I had was 12lb after a half marathon (my first) that came off over 10 days.

i had no idea water retention could be that crazy!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »

i had no idea water retention could be that crazy!

I have to admit that was a pretty crazy week, I knew I hadn't eaten 40000+ Calories above maintenance, but it still freaked me out a little.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Yeah, me too. I usually pack on at least 3 lbs from "gym weight daily. Usually it goes away 4 to 5 hours after I've rested a bit.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Yup! I bloat like crazy. I go from hourglass to straight up and down. My waist completely disappears for a while.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    I took two weeks off of lifting form lifting while I went on vacation. Didn't gain any weight on vacation but after lifting this week I'm up 3lbs! It's frustrating but I know it's just water weight