Treadmill vs outside running

Options
udebear
udebear Posts: 39 Member
I find it slightly easier to run faster/further on the tready, is this normal? Why?

Replies

• cindylouwatson
    cindylouwatson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep yep yep. Outside
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It varies. Some people find the TM easier, some find outside easier. It depends partly on how accurate the TM is. Many are not that accurate, so your pace may be faster or slower than stated. It also depends on whether or not you use incline.

Personally, I find the TM harder and end up going slower than I do outside. OTOH, it is great for doing intervals or tempo runs because I know the pace is going to be consistent. It is also good for doing a slow recovery run or slow distance run because the pace stays slow. Getting used to the machine being in control is a problem though when I need to do a certain pace outside and have a hard time maintaining that pace.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It depends on the elevation you set the treadmill at. I figured that a 5% incline is about the same resistance as running on level ground.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Some beginning runners prefer the treadmill because they find they will run for longer at a faster pace because it's easier.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 what are you? A man or a mouse?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Personally I run faster outside. Outside is going to be better for you in terms of becoming a stronger runner, off-road better still. The treadmill has a belt to propel you, and no wind resistance, but it makes you run at a constant pace and can be a strain on the joints.

outside you learn better form, and get to enjoy the big wide world. The treadmill has its place, but if you can, get outside to run.
  • AliciaRenee1
    AliciaRenee1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside because my furkids run with me, it's much more fun having them run with me (except for when they get silly with each other and knock me down :D )
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I run slower on the treadmill (not that I am fast outside!) but I actually prefer it. I often lack the motivation to go for a run, but will get on the treadmill by telling myself just 10 minutes, then once I am on there it will generally end up being 20-40 minutes. However, even 10 is better than not bothering to go out for a run, which for me is the alternative!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started at zero, completely sedentary. I was given a treadmill challenge by my fitness coach, twenty minutes walking on the treadmill every day. I did that for a month.

My legs learned to move again.

That steady pace did something fundamental for me, and I started to pick up other activities. Joined charity walks. Those started to get too easy.

So then I considered running.

It turns out running is really cool because you end up at your destination much faster.

Besides the outdoor scenery is so much more interesting than a treadmill.

So now, a running snob, I turn my nose up at the treadmill.

But really, I should thank my old fitness coach, yes?
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well, the treadmill is indoors in an air-conditioned room, you don't deal with the elements (rain, heat, humidity, or snow) you also don't deal with paved or unpaved paths, turns, or uphill battles. It's convenient to use a treadmill and run in the comfort of your air-conditioned room :)

It's good to use the treadmill if the weather is unfavorable outside.
    But if it's a good day to go outside, then try to challenge yourself and get some fresh air.
  • AMD0828
    AMD0828 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I primarily use the treadmill in dead of summer and winter as I don't do well running in extreme conditions. So, I've been using it a lot recently and personally I think the treadmill is great for training as I can incorporate speed intervals and hills easier than I can outside (as well as other HIIT workouts when its raining/hot/freezing) This in turn has been benefitting my outdoor pace (i generally run the same 5 mile route through my neighborhood).

However, when i set the treadmill at my outdoor pace, and run at same speed/incline for 5 miles, my heart rate is lower then if outdoor so, if choosing between the two in that regard you definitely get more "bang" for your time if head outside.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There is also less pounding on a treadmill since the deck flexes and absorbs much of the shock.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I am a distance runner, so the dreadmill is a very last resort. However, I do speed work on an indoor track in the winter. When the weather is too unreasonable to run outside (i.e., water bottles will freeze solid within the first 10 miles), I'll do a long run on the indoor track. 177 laps of a 200 meter track is a mental challenge, but it's not as bad as running 22 miles on the dreadmill would be. I live in upstate NY, so I don't have to worry about the summer getting too hot; I think the warmest I've run in was 91º F with some ridiculous amount of humidity that I don't want to think about. That requires lowering my expectations for pace and distance, but I can run in it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I find that the treadmill gives an easier run -- but I get better times when I'm outside. I think it's because I'm absolutely awful at pacing myself, so I can adjust to how I'm feeling outside better instead of fiddling with a machine, but if I'm inside, I'm not dealing with hills, pavement, wind, etc. (I run on a very hilly trail -- fantastic for training, but ugh on some days when I'm just not feeling it.)

I will say this for the treadmill, though: There are no worries about getting hit with a downpour in the middle of the run and having to get back to the car. On the treadmill, if it starts going awful, you can just stop. So outside definitely forces me to be more persistent.
  • archerdanger
    archerdanger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill but being summer in the Midwest means heat and humidity. It's always pleasant in the gym! The hamster wheels at my fitness center allow a random average incline setting which I usually set at 3-4% which roughly replicates going for a run around town with the natural ups and downs.