How much weight can I possibly lose in 3 months

Options
Lucas2998
Lucas2998 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have just recently completed high school and I will be going to University in 3 months. I have had body confidence issues all my life and I am currently the heaviest I have ever been. I'm an 18 year old male 5 foot 9 and around 190 pounds. I wish to be around 150 pounds. So my diet is a little crazy I don't each breakfast or lunch and for dinner I typically just have a microwave meal and sliced bread. The microwave meals tend to be around 700 calories which I eat with fries which is an additional 300 calories and as I end up being so hungry as I don't eat at all during the day I end up eating maybe 6 slices of bread with the meal which is 600 additional calories. Another problem is that I tend to snack a lot and eat maybe around 2000 calories worth of snacks per week. In addition to this I have an addiction to soda and I believe that it is the main reason why I am overweight. I drink around 30 cans of coke a week maximum which is about 4200 calories which is around 2 days worth of food. Overall in a week I am consuming 17500 calories whereas a normal guy my age should be having 14000 and even less if i wish to lose weight. If I remove the soda completely as well as the snacks and have no bread at all with my meal will I see significant weight loss. If I do this I will be removing 10400 calories which is crazy.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything in particular - besides taking in fewer calories - to lose weight.

But it is very smart to get in proper nutrition and educating yourself and build awareness. You will learn lots of things if you pay attention. Depriving yourself is setting yourself up to binge. Losing weight takes the time it takes.

Meal timing and frequency is in itself irrelevant. Whatever diet and meal schedule that meet these three criteria, is good for you: 1) you can stick to it (because it feels good), 2) it provides you with sufficient nutrition (this will also make you feel good), 3) has an appropriate calorie total that lets you gain, lose or maintain weight according to your need (definitely something that feels good).
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would set a calorie goal and try to make sure that I am near it every day, eat regularly throughout the day so that you are not starving by the evening, thats just asking for a binge. Cutting back on the coke would be a good idea but you can try swapping over to coke zero which has very few calories which would be a helpful alternative.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Enter your info into MFP and eat the calorie allowance it gives you, you will lose weight. Cutting out soda makes some people drop weight, others it doesnt. Im just about 3 months in and 25 lbs down
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Set up your mfp profile input your stats and set it to lose 1 lb per week. Stop starving yourself during the day this is why you're bingeing in the evening, instead eat regular balanced meals at regular intervals made up of mostly healthy whole foods.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you got serious about dieting I think you could lose 20-25# lbs. Changing from a crappy diet to a well rounded diet often results in a large initial loss of water weight. I wouldn't bet the farm on that loss but it's definitely possible. On the other hand, if you half *kitten* your diet you may lose nothing.

Also, you are eating more than you think. 17k calories is not much for a man with your stats each week. 14k would be a deficit for most men.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The good news, you've identified your traps and pitfalls. Now mitigate them as needed. For some that's complete avoidance, others moderation. I'd also suggest incorporating some exercise into your plan. Not necessarily for the weight loss side of things but for the health benefits. Strength training, a bit of enjoyable cardio, and you're good.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's really great that you've identified what you need to do! To keep your energy up through the day, sit down and have a proper lunch, maybe a sandwich with lean smoked turkey. Use My Fitness Plan to log in what you're consuming, including snacks. Use MFP to set your goals and keep to it, you may lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. You have to eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Teach yourself to make your own dinner: scrambled eggs, toast, steamed broccoli, whatever seems easy for you. Right now you're carbo loading with all the bread and probably need to substitute in some protein. The microwave dinners probably aren't really filling you up. Switch from Coke to Coke Zero, it's an easy switch to make and you'll most likely get used to the taste. Drink lots of water. Take a 30 minute walk every day, that's half an hour you won't be snacking, it's a low impact exercise that will ease you into fitness, and the fresh air will do you good.