To weigh or not to weigh.

Options
Just a quick bit of advice really.

I usually weigh myself on a Thursday, however for the past couple of weeks I have had a chest infection so have not been able to go to the gym, for 3 days I was stuck in bed as I could hardly breath. I am now dreading getting on the scales, I have gone over my Kcals a little for some days and with not my usually level of exercise I fear I may have packed on the weight I have lost so far.

So my question is, do you think I am best to miss this weeks weight in and then just do it next week when I start with my gym work again on Monday or do you think it would be better to see what damage I have done and that way I know what I need to do to get it off again?

Opinions greatly apprichated.

Replies

• kaylenicoleee
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself, it may discourage you if you have done some damage. Continue working towards your goal for another week or two and deal with the scales then, you will see some results and know you're back on track. If you're discouraged you may get down and end up not going back on track
  • kaylenicoleee
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself, it may discourage you if you have done some damage. Continue working towards your goal for another week or two and deal with the scales then, you will see some results and know you're back on track. If you're discouraged you may get down and end up not going back on track
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think that you should weigh yourself. You never know it could be good or bad, but either way it should motivate you to get out there after having been sick. Good luck!
  • moose_15
    moose_15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would probably recommend weighing yourself. Although it may be disheartening if you have put weight on, if you work your *kitten* off next week and you jump on the scales, it may seem like you haven't lost anything/very much and that would be even worse in my opinion.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sure!

There's nothing that requires us to check in weekly. If you know that you might have had a gain or feel stagnated, you can take the week off. I personally only log my weight when I see a significant change. Even though I am proud of .4 lbs, I feel better when I can log a three or four pound change. When I went on vacation and went up a couple of pounds, I logged it too because I didn't want to lull myself into a false sense of security. Whatever works for YOU is what is important!

Good luck!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Its scary, but I think you should weigh. Like you said that way you know what you're working with. Better to know than not to know something right? It's probably not as bad as you think. But after the weigh in (if you choose to do it) Stay positive- you didn't choose to get sick so overcome it and just progress on like normal.

Good luck!
  • kjpollard
    kjpollard Posts: 68
    Options

I agree...however, if you were sick enough to not eat as much in the beginning, you could have lost some!! Either way, just know you are back on track now and that we are here to motivate you!

hang in there, and I'm glad you feel better.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I say weigh yourself. Just don't expect anything one way or the other and see what happens. If nothing else, it will be good for future reference if you get sick or injured again and can't work out. You'll know if what you did for a couple of weeks is close to maintaining or if it's gaining a little or a lot. As long as it won't cause you to give up and throw in the towel, it's information to process for later :)
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised and find you have not gained at all. I think it would be better to know. If you aren't going back to the gym until Monday, I would do a little walking or light swimming over the weekend to build your body back up slowly.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I think you should weigh yourself that way you know where you're at and will know exactly what you will have lost the following week when you weigh again.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Advise is what we ask for when we already know the answer and we don't like it.
    It sounds like you want to weigh-in, I would do it as a vote of confidence on my capacity to lose the weight again if I gained anything at all.
    This is almost like not wanting to look at yourself in the mirror. What you see on it does not change reality it's just feedback.
    Be confident that you got it and just find out if you gained any after all you will know exactly why it won't be a mystery.
  • aallen8599
    aallen8599 Posts: 73
    Options
    I think that if you do decide to weigh yourself, you need to make a deal with yourself first. If there is a gain or a loss, you need to realize that it might not be a "true" reading due to you being sick. I know that when I used to be on WW, they would tell us that we naturally gain weight when we are sick as our body's fluid buildup. If you are curious, I say weigh yourself, but if it's a gain, even 5+ pounds, don't beat yourself up. It might not be weight that is going to stick around once you fully recover anyway. (Just my opinion!) :wink: Hope that helps!
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    People are going to give you so so many different point of views. My advice would be to weigh yourself. YOu need to face up to the truth, the same as logging your food even if you have gone over. even if you have gained it is not the end of the road just carry on and you will lose again, no biggy! Also if you are ill your body tries to fix it's self and will be using all of the energy it can get so you never know, you could be surprised. Just get it out of the way and then it won't be playing on your mind for an extra week. xxx
  • BethanieK
    BethanieK Posts: 201
    Options
    Personally, I would weigh myself. However, I am having a fatal attraction love affair with my scale, and I am trying to break up with that dirty *kitten*.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Right I think I will weigh myself I think I wanted to and as hect0rchicas said I just needed a push.

I will be back tomorrow to let you know how I got on.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    DO IT! I posted a topic like this a few months back, and I think it was better to get back on the scale, like it or not, it is what it is.
  • hellsinhere
    Options
    Good Luck with your weigh in! I hope its a pleasant surprise and you find you have lost or at the least stayed the same! either way keep determined and on track! :)
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Well I had my weigh in this morning and I actuallt lost a lbs :) so I am happy with that.
    Hopefully next week I will be in the 16 stone catogory and I can wave goodbye to 17s.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well I had my weigh in this morning and I actuallt lost a lbs :) so I am happy with that.
    Hopefully next week I will be in the 16 stone catogory and I can wave goodbye to 17s.

You see... aren't you glad you did it. And thanks for the mention.