Any Breatharians here?

Options
No_Knock
No_Knock Posts: 52 Member
Did anyone else read the ridiculous article that went viral about the couple that survive only on "what the Universe provides and air'? I guess they toss in some vegetable broth here and there. I'm pretty sure it was a complete hoax, but all the same news organizations ran with it like it was a bag of $20 bills.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    No, did not read it.

Do u have a link?

I guess we are all surviving on 'what the universe provides' - that seems such a vague meaningless phrase to me
  • No_Knock
    No_Knock Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No, did not read it.

Do u have a link?

I guess we are all surviving on 'what the universe provides' - that seems such a vague meaningless phrase to me

http://nypost.com/2017/06/15/breatharian-couple-survives-on-the-universes-energy-instead-of-food/

Makes zero sense to me, but hey...to each their own.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I breathe whenever I can, it's free and I am addicted to it.

I'm addicted to breathing, too. Maybe we need to form a group... ;)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    All of the "lock them in a room with 24/7 observation by a neutral observer" examinations of breatharians have resulted in either having weight fly off or figuring out how they are sneaking calories. I read how one of them was having her daughter pass food to her by kissing her when she visited hoping that the observers wouldn't see. :|
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    All of the "lock them in a room with 24/7 observation by a neutral observer" examinations of breatharians have resulted in either having weight fly off or figuring out how they are sneaking calories. I read how one of them was having her daughter pass food to her by kissing her when she visited hoping that the observers wouldn't see. :|

Uhhhh...what. Yuck.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Awwww hell naw!!!! :sick:
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did read it, and there are people who actually do this. However, they end up eating things that they don't realize help sustain them.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Wait, someone took this seriously enough to study it?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »

Wait, someone took this seriously enough to study it?

What I find funny is that the "followers" were dumb enough to think the sham wouldn't be found out by people closely observing them.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also, can someone take away their child?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Read the wiki page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

My favorite person of all time is Wiley Brooks..

from the wiki:

Wiley Brooks

Wiley Brooks is the founder of the Breatharian Institute of America. He was first introduced to the public in 1980 when he appeared on the TV show That's Incredible!. Brooks stopped teaching recently to "devote 100% of his time on solving the problem as to why he needed to eat some type of food to keep his physical body alive and allow his light body to manifest completely." Brooks claims to have found "four major deterrents" which prevented him from living without food: "people pollution", "food pollution", "air pollution" and "electro pollution".[36]

In 1983 he was reportedly observed leaving a Santa Cruz 7-Eleven with a Slurpee, a hot dog, and Twinkies.[37] He told Colors magazine in 2003 that he periodically breaks his fasting with a cheeseburger and a cola, explaining that when he's surrounded by junk culture and junk food, consuming them adds balance.[38]

Wiley Brooks later claimed that Diet Coke and McDonald's cheeseburgers have special "5D" properties. The idea of separate but interconnected 5D and 3D worlds is a major part of Wiley Brooks' ideology, and Wiley Brooks encourages his followers to only eat these special 5D foods, as well as meditate on a set of magical 5D words.[39]

Brooks's institute has charged varying fees to prospective clients who wished to learn how to live without food, which have ranged from US$100,000 with an initial deposit of $10,000[40] to one billion dollars, to be paid via bank wire transfer with a preliminary deposit of $100,000, for a session called "Immortality workshop".[41] A payment plan was also offered.[42] These charges have typically been presented as limited time offers exclusively for billionaires.[43][4

I've read about this guy before. The whole "I need junk food to keep my balance in a junk culture" is one of the all-time great BS excuses.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    2666a9e9fnn2.png
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Read the wiki page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

My favorite person of all time is Wiley Brooks..

from the wiki:

Wiley Brooks

Wiley Brooks is the founder of the Breatharian Institute of America. He was first introduced to the public in 1980 when he appeared on the TV show That's Incredible!. Brooks stopped teaching recently to "devote 100% of his time on solving the problem as to why he needed to eat some type of food to keep his physical body alive and allow his light body to manifest completely." Brooks claims to have found "four major deterrents" which prevented him from living without food: "people pollution", "food pollution", "air pollution" and "electro pollution".[36]

In 1983 he was reportedly observed leaving a Santa Cruz 7-Eleven with a Slurpee, a hot dog, and Twinkies.[37] He told Colors magazine in 2003 that he periodically breaks his fasting with a cheeseburger and a cola, explaining that when he's surrounded by junk culture and junk food, consuming them adds balance.[38]

Wiley Brooks later claimed that Diet Coke and McDonald's cheeseburgers have special "5D" properties. The idea of separate but interconnected 5D and 3D worlds is a major part of Wiley Brooks' ideology, and Wiley Brooks encourages his followers to only eat these special 5D foods, as well as meditate on a set of magical 5D words.[39]

Brooks's institute has charged varying fees to prospective clients who wished to learn how to live without food, which have ranged from US$100,000 with an initial deposit of $10,000[40] to one billion dollars, to be paid via bank wire transfer with a preliminary deposit of $100,000, for a session called "Immortality workshop".[41] A payment plan was also offered.[42] These charges have typically been presented as limited time offers exclusively for billionaires.[43][4

So they can no longer afford to buy food.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Shudders. Yeah, obviously they are lying. What I can't figure out is why?

I usually don't pay any of this any mind. But one of the recent stories mentioned a pregnancy, and that made me see red for a while.