How to track NET CARBS on MFP

Options
Hello fellow low carbers! Here is a cool trick to be able to track NET Carbs on MFP:

Click on Food Tab
Click on Create Food
Enter for Brand "Net Carb Adjustment"
Enter Description "Deduct fiber & sugar alcohol" or "Deduct fiber"
Enter Serving Size "1/2 cup cooked" or anything - doesn't matter but MFP is a little picky about what it takes
Enter 1 for serving
Enter 0 for all values, except carbs.
Enter -1 for carbs
Click on Save food.

Now add this custom food to your diary and increase the serving size to reflect the amount of fiber or fiber/sugar alcohols you are deducting.

Congratulations! You are now showing your NET CARBS!

Replies

• silentpost
    silentpost Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nice trick.

I just added fiber to my 'nutrients tracked' and subtract that from my carb number (in my head) at the end of the day.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow low carbers! Here is a cool trick to be able to track NET Carbs on MFP:

Click on Food Tab
    Click on Create Food
    Enter for Brand "Net Carb Adjustment"
    Enter Description "Deduct fiber & sugar alcohol" or "Deduct fiber"
    Enter Serving Size "1/2 cup cooked" or anything - doesn't matter but MFP is a little picky about what it takes
    Enter 1 for serving
    Enter 0 for all values, except carbs.
    Enter -1 for carbs
    Click on Save food.

Now add this custom food to your diary and increase the serving size to reflect the amount of fiber or fiber/sugar alcohols you are deducting.

Congratulations! You are now showing your NET CARBS!

I am slightly confused. I determine how many carbs I eat based on my diary out put under carbs... am I missing something?
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been just subtracting my fiber from the total carbs. When it comes to sugar alcohols and such, I would just input th net carb only and keep anything with artificial sweeteners to one or two a day. I'm gonna try what you suggested though.
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    A lot of low carb eaters will deduct fiber or fiber and sugar alcohol from their carb intake. Here is a good article to read on Net carbs: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/a/netcarbs.htm
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Bump
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am slightly confused. I determine how many carbs I eat based on my diary out put under carbs... am I missing something?

Certain eating plans, like Atkins, have you count your Net Carbs which is the total number of carbohydrates in a food minus any fiber. Fiber isn't digested by the body, just passed through and does not raise your blood sugar like other carbs, therefore it's not counted in your Net Carb intake.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you again for this awesome tip- you rock!
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump it!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chilloften
    Options
    This is an awesome tip as I am just starting into Atkins and find this net carb point frustrating. I don't want to use a different app all together to track net carbs. I saw the movie "Fathead" and OMG this has changed my opinion on eating. I am shocked to have not known this being I am in the medical field.
    Anyhow is it proper then to deduct sugar alchohols AND fiber from the carb count? To get net carbs?
  • chilloften
    Options
    I have tried adding this and it is not subtracting a carb, in fact the carbs says N/A. So tell me how are you doing this/using this??