Do you have cheat meals/weeks?

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cheat days, no. But I do take a week or two a few times a year to eat at maintenance and give my mind a break from dieting.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Today I have eaten exclusively fried chicken, bacon, cupcakes, mini eggs and red wine. Technically it fits into my calories but it sure as hell feels like a cheat day!
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Short answer - Don't deprive yourself. If you get cravings, eat what you're craving. If you can work it into your daily/weekly calories, great, but don't beat yourself up if you go over occasionally. As long as you maintain good habits on a regular basis, it won't hurt you.

Long answer - I went about 4 months without a cheat day, sticking to 1300 calories and doing cardio at least 45 mins a day. I lost 35 lbs, but I fell off the wagon almost exactly 120 days after I started. I ate the worst food possible for days and got so down on myself because of it. Eventually I got back on track (and was even stricter with myself than before), but only went a few weeks before I 'relapsed' again. I quickly realized I needed to go easier on myself, both in my day-to-day routine and when I have inevitable slip-ups. I upped my calorie goal a bit (even though it means I'll only lose .5 lbs a week at most) and stopped beating myself up for occasional indulgences. By allowing myself treats now and then, I can avoid going on days-long binges.
    Of course, the best thing to do is to work your "cheat day" into your weekly calorie total so you're not actually over-consuming, but it's not the end of the world if you go over. I always remind myself it's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle change. One day won't make a difference, as long as you pick it back up the next day.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just keep my settings on 2lbs per week and follow it Monday through Friday when I exercise and then mostly ignore it on weekends because if I have to think about/count every calorie... I'll spend my life thinking about food. Hence developing an unhealthy habit I didn't have previously. And eating 1200 calories on weekends is too restrictive with Summer activities with the family. I still log... but I don't worry about the calories because weekdays mean I'll still lose *something* on a regular basis. I still eat fairly healthy... but I don't restrict calories enough to make dieting bothersome.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You're only cheating on yourself. There are 3 simple options..... 1) work what you want into your daily goal 2) find a suitable alternative for what you want that fits you goal OR 3) eat whatever the heck you want and then get right back on track. In the grand scheme, it's doesn't really matter as long as it's a treat and not a daily occurrence.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I rely on a weekly deficit/weekly average numbers, and so some days I'll eat more than others. It broadly balances out in the end.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If some foods are cheat meals then I have them pretty much everyday lol. “If it fits, I eats”. Losing steadily by eating pizza, pasta, cheese. Would go insane if I didnt eat ‘bad food’. Have mostly stuck to my daily allowance but if I go over i’ll cut the following days of that week down a little bit to even it out
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating - the whole concept. On the way to losing a third of my body weight, around 60 pounds, in just under a year, I had a very few way-over-calorie-goal days (birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving), when I ate and drank freely; and a few slightly-over-maintenance-calorie days (big meal with out of town friends, vacation, parties).

For predictable events, I would bank a modest number of calories (like 100) daily for the few days beforehand, eat lightly at other meals the day of an event, or fit in some additional fun active thing (bike ride, say) on top of normal activities. After an over day, planned or otherwise, I'd just go back to my regular healthy deficit routine.

I'd also log all of it, estimating if necessary, so I knew the impact. Usually, it just delayed my ultimate goal by a day or three (1500 over goal when losing a pound a week is 2 more days delay). Not really a big deal, as long as it was infrequent. Sometimes, looking back, I'd decide it hadn't been worth it, and decide to handle future circumstances differently. Much of the time, it was OK.

Like others have said, I didn't cut out any foods I love or crave, I just ate the higher-calorie things in smaller portions, or less often, or compensated by reducing other foods I liked less. I'm not saying I didn't change how I ate. There were certain foods that I'd been eating that didn't give me sufficient tastiness, nutrition or satiation for their calorie "cost", so I now eat them less, or not at all.

Personally, I think of weight loss as practice for permanently maintaining a healthy weight. If it's not something I could imagine doing forever, I didn't do it during weight loss (other than the moderate calorie deficit). This extended to occasional indulgent (over goal) days: I wouldn't plan to live without them forever.

Why white-knuckle it through a "diet", only to arrive at goal with no practiced strategy for maintaining the loss forever? Take the stress or emotion out of it: They burn no calories.

Now in my second year of maintenance, that strategy's worked pretty well for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    To me, one of the huge benefits of tracking my intake on MFP has been that if I want a treat, I can easily see whether it will just cut a little into my deficit for the day, put me at maintenance for the day, put me at maintenance for the week, or even put me at a surplus for the week. Knowledge is a powerful asset in decision-making.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Depends on where I am in the "Cut". In the beginning I have a cheat day, mid cut, cheat meal and near the end, none at all lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going to all you can eat buffet today, and i estimated around 3,000 calories. There's aint no way I'm "fitting this into my day"
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I fit what I want to eat into my calorie goals for the day, moderation balanced diet and I focus on healthy. I don't call it cheating because I refuse to make my journey one of guilt. I love that quote "exercise should be a celebration of what our bodies can do, not a punishment for something you ate." I had to change my mind set before I started my journey, I think that will be my most contributing factor in my success. I'm learning a lot hear.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have purposeful re-feed days with higher carbs. This is for diet adherence and better training. I do not just "eat whatever".
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I had an unplanned cheat day last night because we ordered Chinese. I usually stick to a negative 1000 on weekdays do that I don't have to eat 1200 on weekends, but my significant other decided he didn't want to cook on a Friday. I ordered what I normally do: General Tsaos Chicken Platter (which comes with veggie fried rice) and then we ordered Veggie Lo Mein as an extra. I think I stayed in my goals by a hair because I had a lot of exercise calories... but normally those are for Saturday and Sunday when I don't work out at all. Agggh. It's not always easy.

And tonight I'm having my "every 3 weeks" night where I allow alcohol back into my diet. I use what is essentially organic, herb infused moonshine... muddle my own berries... and add only club soda (thank goodness I was a bartender in my late teens) and count the shots mostly. I'm probably a bit over 1200, but I did pretty well with the alcohol and such. But that's why I've only averaged about 1.5 lbs per week at best. Weekends. And unplanned surprises from the cook in our home. Just work it out with... actual workouts. Jump rope is always fast, and cheap, and easy, and high calorie burn for emergencies.