Not Eating Enough?

Options
For the past few months, every time I get up, I get a head rush, and sometimes a headache follows. I talked to my doctor about it, and she says that my blood pressure is very low (90/60) so that may be why. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this. However, just now I am realizing that my problems started around the same time I started dieting and exercising with MFP. Do you think that my blood pressure is just lower because I have been exercising, and that is what has been causing the head rushes, or is it because I am not eating enough? I have been making sure to get 1200 calories everyday, and trust me, some days I get way more than that, but could this be the issue?

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for a few days, but not a few months, did you ask your dr?
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, but I'm anemic. Maybe eat more iron?
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is very low, similar to yours. My doctor said to drink more water, and I find it helps a little. When you're dehydrated, your BP goes way down (less water = less blood to be putting pressure on your blood vessels!).
  • katema62
    katema62 Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to have hypotension which is low blood pressure it was never a problem because I was not overweight until now.
    Everytime I got up I would get dizzy or light headed. I know that blood can pool and when you get up you get a head rush.

I also did some digging because my metabolism starting shutting down...thus my overweight status now. Sometimes underlying
    thyroid or low blood sugar can be behind it. I found that having a sugery drink or candy around when I worked out and got dizzy
    or felt like I was going to faint or have a migraine helped a lot.

Good luck.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It can cause that if you are NOT eating a balanced diet. Make sure you are getting all your vitamins in daily. Eat alot of greens and make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet. Also if you cut your carbs too low if can make you feel that way too.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I had that happen to me a few weeks ago. My BP is normally about 110/60 but I was getting light headed a lot. I upped my calories by 100-200/day and it seems to have done the trick. I also always make sure to stay hydrated!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water each day. Eight 8-oz glasses is a minimum. If you exercise, you probably will need more due to sweating.