Improving my diet

Options
I posted a topic like this earlier, but some people seemed to get the wrong idea, and it's partly my fault as I missed out some important information.

Please take a look in my diary and give me some pointers on how to improve my diet, but READ BELOW FIRST

- I am 5'5''

- I am 18

- Where it says 'white bread' in my diary, read home-made. I make my bread with 50:50 flour using many different recipies from a low-calorie cookbook, but for ease (because I'm lazy) I just put down white bread as I can't be bothered entering every single recipie

- If it says 'good food' followed by the meal, it is a recipie from BBC Good Food which I have made myself, NOT a pre-packaged, processed meal.

- Please be honest, but be polite.

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Did MFP come up with your calorie goals? They seem awfully low. You certainly need more than 300 calories as a daily goal.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seems to me like your starting calorie goal of 300 is way too low. You appear to be eating well though, I just don't think there are enough calories.
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your weight seems so low!!! You are 5'5" why under 100 pounds?
  • ejhayes
    Options
    Actually, I meant your goal weight seems very low!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you want to change things like carbs, fat, protein etc, you can do that manually while keeping your calorie goal in a safe and healthy range.

Go into GOALS, Custom settings, and you can change the amount of protein etc, and then have it give you the right amount of calories.

Edit: I really hope that your siggie is covered in typos. If not you need to see a doctor because you have an eating disorder, they are real, treatable and nothing to be ashamed of.

If you are recovering from one remember to up your calories slowly to a healthy range. I hope you get the help you really need.
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    why is your gw 85 lbs if you're 5'5"?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    why is your gw 85 lbs if you're 5'5"?

Good point, the low end of what is considered healthy for that height on a woman, is 114lbs. With the weight you are at now, you should concentrate on just excercising and toning, in my opinion anyhow.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Your goal weight is extremely worrying - how did you decide on it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Seriously!!
  • ejhayes
    Options
    You are not eating enough calories at all. If you were my daughter I would be extremely concerned about you. Even when you work out you don't eat 1,000 calories. You need more foods than that, like fruits and vegetables and whole grains and so many different things, too long to mention. Your body is deprived of nutrients!!!!
  • horraceclink
    horraceclink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am overweight, but your goal and CW seem way underweight-- you might want to find a nutritionist and doctor to help you set healthy goals. Unless you are a child and under 5 feet, you probably should not weight under 100 pounds.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As you are a dancer, I take it that you eat little to maintain a certain look that dancers like. Though I agree with others about your calorie goals and weight, that is your decision. If you do have an eating disorder I hope you get help.

As for things that you can add to your diet to help increase your energy, the number one would be protein. Eggs, peanutbutter, almonds, avacodo, milk, cheese, non-fat greek yogurt (I really like Oikos with caramel). Etc. You do eat a lot of bread which may not be the best use of your small amount of calories. Look into Paleo or Primal Blue Print eating. If you are going to eat so little, you might as well make it worth while. The basic concept is that carbs in bread actually help you gain weight or hinder weight loss (they are too easily turned to fat). Though at your height and weight you really shouldn't have to worry about that, no matter what. Please take a vitamin and I hope that you are able to find the right life/food balance.
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    yea i totally get WHY if youre a dancer especially ballet....i used to dance....this is why i quit....it literally made me hate myself and my body and made me crazy about food/weight
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and at your age was 106 and I was tiny! Like a size 0/2. You might be close to your goal weight now... just need to do some lifting & toning!!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Seriously?

Your goal is so low that the BMI calculator I just put it through labels it well under 'anorexic'.

If you're serious about that goal weight, you should be talking to a doctor. That kind of underweight can do you some harm.