BMR greater than MFP goal....

Options
So, today I probably will not get to exercise at all and this is my first day eating on MFP without any exercise...but my BMR is 1427 and my goal for today is 1330......does that make any sense? Should I defy MFP and eat more than that or stay under 1330?

Replies

• laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    just checked again, according to the MFP tool my BMR is 1469...so why does it want me to eat less than that?
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if you are your BMR you would maintain. thats with NO exercise.
    you're meant to eat slightly less so you ACTUALLY lose weight.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to weigh LESS, MFP creates a deficite. So taht as long as you eat less than your BMR you should lose a little bit of weight
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Stick with the calorie plan that MFP gives you for each day. Make sure to log every workout and every bite of food. In order to lose the recommended 1lb/week you have to actually meet the MFP goals for each day. You're not going by your BMR on here. Your daily calorie goals already have a built in deficit.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    then why does it say i would need to eat 1800 calories when i change my goals to "maintain"?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body would burn if you lay in bed all day. Your AMR (active metabolic rate) is probably the 1800. This factors in your daily lifestyle, ie, working at desk, or walking around at job.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    eat the 1400
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    if you have your goal set to lose weight then it takes your calories down to create a deficit to lose weight. if you don't want to lose, then change it to maintain and eat that amount of calories back. If you workout and enter it in, MFP will give you those calories to eat back so your calorie deficit remains the same.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    just checked again, according to the MFP tool my BMR is 1469...so why does it want me to eat less than that?
    It could be that your weight-loss goal is overly ambitious for your size. I see you are 14 pounds away from your goal, which isn't a lot. You would probably do better with a goal of half a pound a week, giving you a 250-calorie/day deficit. That would be my suggestion.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    ok so since im not laying in bed all day, why does 1340 make any sense? just cause its 500 less than my AMR maintenance weight?
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    MFP does not really take into account people's BMRs which I find interesting. I manually changed my calories goals to be AT LEAST my BMR so that my body feels like its getting enough fuel. If I were you I would do the same thing, even if you eat at your BMR, there is still a large enough calorie deficit from your maintenance calories that you will lose weight. BMR and maintenance calories are 2 VERY different things.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    then why does it say i would need to eat 1800 calories when i change my goals to "maintain"?

That's because FaithHopeTrust is wrong. :) Your BMR only account for the calories your body need to run daily functions like breathing, pumping blood, and digesting food. Even if you live a mostly sedentary lifestyle, you still burn a few hundred more calories by walking, brushing your teeth, cleaning the dishes, etc. I'm sure you already knew that... Just clarifying here!

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with eating below your BMR. If you're BMR was (let's say) in the 2000's and you were only eating 1330, that's when MFP is being wacky and creating way too much of a deficit. :P
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    ok so since im not laying in bed all day, why does 1340 make any sense? just cause its 500 less than my AMR maintenance weight?
    That's exactly why – because you set a goal of 1 pound a week You're right, at your size, that doesn't make sense. Change your goal, and the calories will change.
  • Dani_Scott
    Dani_Scott Posts: 21
    Options
    Well apparently BMR is 1,745 and yet on MFP I eat 1,200.... that's quite a defecit! Although not complaining as im losing weight and earning myself a few more calories by exercising loads x