Need Help With Calorie Goal

Options
A little bit of background info: Last year I lost right around 30 lbs, from 198 to ~170. I'm 5' 7". I (somehow) did it with a calorie goal of 1250, and most days I couldn't force myself to even eat that much.

Fast forward to now, and I'm 4 weeks postpartum and exclusively breastfeeding. I'm at 196 lbs. I've been eating like crap, nonstop convience foods, so I decided to try to get back on the meal prep wagon. I set (what I thought) was a reasonable goal of 1700 calories, but I can already tell there's no way this is going to work out. I'm STARVING. Legitimate hunger, not just eating out of stress or boredom.

My TDEE is 2020. I'm on maternity leave right now so I'm not doing much of anything except bonding with the little one. I know breastfeeding burns calories, but the numbers I've seen are inconsistent... anywhere from 250 to 800. I don't want to increase my calories too much and not lose anything, but I also don't want to cut them too much and starve myself or harm my milk supply.

I'll fully admit that I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to setting calorie goals, and I'm in need of some help here. Does 1700 sound like a good goal and maybe I just need to fit some more veggies in to curb the hunger? Is it too low?

Replies

• happyringer
    happyringer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine you'll lose much if you eat much more than 1700 - but every person is different. Make smart, nutritious food choices with your 1700 budget and make sure you're getting the nutrition and your baby need!

Here's something that might help. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

google "can i diet while breastfeeding" to find similar sites. good luck and most of all CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!!!!! Enjoy this very special time in your life. There's nothing else, quite like it. :smile:
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If your tdee is 2000 and exclusively breastfeeding a newborn, and you are hungry, all signs are pointing to you aren't eating enough. Just think: minus 500 calories, you are only eating 1200, which isn't enough to sustain you as it is. Plus, you are recovering from pregnancy and childbirth.

It's easier to eat more than to lose your supply. You should be able to find your sweet spot calorie wise. I'd start by increasing to tdee at least.

There is no rush. It always took me a year to lose the weight, except my last baby ( 5 1/2 years almost ahem!) And even with this last baby, I don't regret it. It happened.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good advice accept to say that I remember when I was breastfeeding it made me ravenous and, oddly, very tired. I think at this point, I'd set a nice reasonable goal of 1900 calories and don't have high expectations. Not sure where you are but if the weather is nice you could get out for some long walks with the baby.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even cut calories right now. Your milk supply is still being established, so you could harm it. Eat at maintenance, and work on making better food choices.
  • Jeanne438
    Jeanne438 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It takes your body 500-800 extra calories daily to make breast milk.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone make sure you eat enough as your breast feeding , is your baby showing signs it's getting enough breast milk ? Gaining weight wer nappies etc ? As I have breast fed my 3, the middle one for 17 months and one of mine I thought was getting lots milk but I face she wasn't so I was eating more to cover calories used but didn't lose weight as my milk supply wasn't good. It's just an idea not that you've got the same problem just an idea.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenance and set a nutrition or fitness goal instead.