Do you eat back your calories from exercise?

Options
dawn82369
dawn82369 Posts: 4 Member
When I was on WW 6 years ago, I never ate back my activity points because I wouldn't lose any weight that week. What do you all do, eat them or leave them? TIA!

Replies

• janpoodles
    janpoodles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I leave them. Unless I am truly hungry! But then again, my exercise is not very strenuous at this point in time.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I don't do cardio, so on the off chance I do, I assume it just evens out with my lazy lazy days.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat half back. I find that if I don't, I haven't got enough energy to be active.

Note: I'm a 5'3 woman and on 1380 calories base to lose 1lb/wk. I typically go for 2-hour leisurely walks or do 60 minutes on a fitness glider, plus a full-body strength-training workout every other day. When I was 63 lbs heavier, on 1710 calories/day and my exercise was a 25-minute daily walk, I didn't eat back those calories. But then, MFP was calculating my burn at about 125 calories (I forget exactly). Now? Usually in the 600-900 range. Yeah, I eat some of those back.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've had the most success since switching fully to mfp's recommendations and eating all of my exercise calories (as opposed to the tdee method)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I do eat some back most of the time & all back once in a while & seems to be ok
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes. The way MFP is designed, your calorie deficit is already built in to your base calories for the day. You should then be eating back all of your calories. However, calorie estimates, either from the MFP database or exercise machines, tend to be rather generous, so the usual recommendation is to eat back half your calories and look at the trend after a few weeks, then adjust as necessary.

Personally, my workouts are all tracked by GPS and are therefore closer to the truth than MFP estimates would be, so I eat back nearly all of my calories. I lose too quickly if I only eat half.
  • WyldHaggis
    WyldHaggis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of it. Since I don't cook my meals, I can only go with rough estimates, so hopefully keeping a buffer of exercise calories offsets the logging mistakes I'm bound to make.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em back.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Depends on the activity. For instance today I ran10 miles in the heat up a huge hill. I will eat some, not all of those back. But yesterday I burned 200 calories on a leisurely walk with my daughter. I didn't eat those. I leave some room or error for calorie inaccuracies. You could try eating yours and track if it's successful for you or not. If you aren't losing try eating half back and so on...
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Exercise calories taste the best.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them back. Either my Garmin underestimates everything I do or I'm a special snowflake because I always lose more than what MFP and Garmin think I will. If I didn't eat back all those calories I think I would pass out from hunger.
  • kerrylkatriviera
    kerrylkatriviera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back. My appetite has decreased since September when I started my current weight loss program. I find that I am used to eating fewer calories, and I don't crave carbs like I used to. I think you can wean yourself off sugar & salt & fat. I drink a lot of water and eat a cup of grilled vegetables or a handful of dried fruit when I do get hungry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.
    Same as when I drive my car further I put more fuel in.....
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Yes. The way MFP is designed, your calorie deficit is already built in to your base calories for the day. You should then be eating back all of your calories. However, calorie estimates, either from the MFP database or exercise machines, tend to be rather generous, so the usual recommendation is to eat back half your calories and look at the trend after a few weeks, then adjust as necessary.

Personally, my workouts are all tracked by GPS and are therefore closer to the truth than MFP estimates would be, so I eat back nearly all of my calories. I lose too quickly if I only eat half.

This is good advice right there.
    Remember that MFP calorie calculations are based on averages, and the same is true of anything that is working out your calorie burn from exercise, so you may do better or worse than the figures you see.
    Using an activity monitor with a heart rate monitor will give better calorie burn estimates, although even those cannot always be fully trusted.
    It is best to assume that your calorie burn will be overestimated, hence the advice to only eat back half of your exercise calories and monitor how that affects your weight over some weeks.
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for others but I think most people eat back upto half, I personally dont see the point I've increased my exercise to lose weight not so I can eat more. However now I am almost at my goal weight I sometimes eat half of them. I figure when I get to maintenance I'll either exercise less or eat more.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for others but I think most people eat back upto half, I personally dont see the point I've increased my exercise to lose weight not so I can eat more. However now I am almost at my goal weight I sometimes eat half of them. I figure when I get to maintenance I'll either exercise less or eat more.

Exercise isn't intended to be done just so that you can eat more. It's done to help maintain muscle mass and improve fitness as you lose weight. Fueling your body properly to help restore at least a good portion of the calories burned through exercise is a healthy and sustainable way to ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs while you continue to lose. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I do eat back most of the calories from most of my exercises. There are a few exercises I log which I'm not too confident in the accuracy of logging, so I hold back on eating all those.