Occasional dizziness standing up low cal diet

Could a 1500 low cal diet be causing my dizzyness i feel daily when standing up? Blood sugar readings are normal daily and even when i take them seconds after my dizziness. im a 6'1 213 lb male and it showed my resting metobolic rate said 1980s. I thought cutting 500 cals out daily was safe to do and im only losing 1-2 lbs a week. i drink about 2 liters of water a day. Could the calories be the cause? P.s i also get these spells at random. it could be before a meal, after a meal and at night they usually dont occur. Thx

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Feeling Dizzy is usually low blood pressure. It also could be an ear infection. and even low iron levels. Obviously others but those are 3 fairly common reasons for it. I would definitely go check with the doctor to figure out what is happening.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Fill out mfp accurately. You should probably be eating more calories.
  • tylerbark89
    tylerbark89 Posts: 7 Member
    thanks for the replies. i looked up my tdee and it said 2700 for 1-2 days of excercise. im just so close to my goal weight (10) lbs to go. Was 270 on march 1st now im 211 and i know my overall health is more important than pushing that hard for another month but my mindset is always go (rambo mode) as my doctor called it last week. hell i have had 1 cheat meal in 3 months just to get this over with faster...but i dont think its worth getting dizzy and i know i should let it be a slower process. now that i know my tdee though i do feel better with upping my cals. thanks guys!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Vertigo, sinus infection could be a number of issues. Please, please see a doctor.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2017
    I can tell you that when I ate 1200 calories for a brief amount of time (a month or so) a few years ago, I started getting dizzy spells and was tired often. They stopped when I increased my calories and stopped trying to lose weight too fast.

Just because 1500 is the "minimum", doesn't mean it's right for everyone. The 1200 minimum for women definitely didn't work for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2017
    You don't subtract calories from your RMR for weight loss calculations - you are supposed to subtract from your TDEE (or TDEE minus exercise if you are using the MyFitnessPal method).

At your height and weight no wonder you aren't feeling good!
    Eat more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't subtract calories from your RMR for weight loss calculations - you are supposed to subtract from your TDEE (or TDEE minus exercise if you are using the MyFitnessPal method).

Eat more.

This! Your calculations are not right. If your TDEE is 2700, 500 calorie deficit is 2200.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Eat more.

This! Your calculations are not right. If your TDEE is 2700, 500 calorie deficit is 2200.

And with 10 lbs to lose, you probably should be closer to 0.5 lb per week, so you should be eating ~2450. You're likely going to hurt yourself.
  • Livipoppers
    Livipoppers Posts: 2 Member
    It sounds like a classic case of orthostatic hypotension. It means your blood pressure is too low when you transfer from sitting to standing, which can be due to a variety of factors. I'd consult your doctor, it may or may not be due to your diet. I hope you get better!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    thanks for the replies. i looked up my tdee and it said 2700 for 1-2 days of excercise. im just so close to my goal weight (10) lbs to go. Was 270 on march 1st now im 211 and i know my overall health is more important than pushing that hard for another month but my mindset is always go (rambo mode) as my doctor called it last week. hell i have had 1 cheat meal in 3 months just to get this over with faster...but i dont think its worth getting dizzy and i know i should let it be a slower process. now that i know my tdee though i do feel better with upping my cals. thanks guys!
    mmapags wrote: »

Eat more.

And with 10 lbs to lose, you probably should be closer to 0.5 lb per week, so you should be eating ~2450. You're likely going to hurt yourself.

You beat me to it.

@tylerbark89 your Rambo Mode is going to hurt you. Is ALREADY hurting you - hence the dizziness.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss