What's the result of Ketogenic diet

Options
I'm gonna start my ketogenic diet, someone can someone explain to me whats the pros and cons this diet, and i ever tried this diet but i got headache is that good diet to me or can i change other diet? Thankyou!

Replies

• iamhylian
    iamhylian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found it useless. It's another calorie deficit diet and MEGA constipation.
  • ricardomunoz5318
    ricardomunoz5318 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my ketogenic diet by water fasting which is not eating anything just drinking water. I did this for about 3 days to completely exhaust my carb load and got some pretty bad headaches. my theory for this is that before your body switches over to burning fat as energy your brain hasn't adapted and is seeking sugar which causes you to have headache's.

I've been on a keto diet for about 2 months now and so I can only tell you from my experience the pros and cons

Pros:
    ▪Cutting calories is easy because of the how full you feel eating healthy fats
    ▪Delicious food choices like bacon eggs avocados meats diary veggies cream and BUTTER
    ▪higher testosterone for men because of a general rise of cholesterol rich foods (cholesterol is not as bad as you think)
    ▪better sleep (for some reason sleeping less hours doesn't affect me as bad as before)
    ▪instant gratification (you can expect to lose a lot of water weight in the first couple of weeks due to the drop in carbohydrates)
    ▪less hunger
    ▪blood sugar/ insulin stabilization
    ▪better endurance in the gym
    ▪General sense of well being

Cons
    ▪Nosebleeds (I read somewhere that it's due to lower electrolytes in your diet
    ▪restricted food choices (especially when going out)
    ▪harder to do high intensity exercise
    ▪Constipation if not eating enough veggies
    ▪keto flu (adaptation period headaches hunger low energy etc.)
    ▪expense is higher for healthy food
    ▪very easy to fall out of ketosis if diet isn't watched

So far I've been able to lose about 10 pounds which is okay. but I think the weight loss can be mostly attributed to me cutting calories.

Hope this helps.
  • davalan
    davalan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So far it is the only weight loss program that has ever worked for me. I'm down 52 lbs from 400 lbs. Luckily I have not had any problems such as headaches or Keto flu.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The answer depends on why are you trying keto?

If you're doing this to lose weight, there is an easier way: Eat fewer calories than you expend in a day. Eat whatever foods you enjoy within that calorie goal.
  • AishaBraziel
    AishaBraziel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've done Atkins the past two years and have decided to try keto by tracking my fat, protein and carbs. There is a calculator for you to figure out how many grams of fat and protein you need. This is my third day and I have managed to lose 3 pounds. I have seen people in a fb group that have lost 100 pounds in 10 months. Some have reversed their high cholesterol, diabetes, pcos. I consume 20 grams or less of carbs daily, 125 grams of protein and 60 grams or less of healthy fats. I'm excited! I hope this helps.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start my ketogenic diet, someone can someone explain to me whats the pros and cons this diet, and i ever tried this diet but i got headache is that good diet to me or can i change other diet? Thankyou!

This is due to electrolyte imbalance and be simply, quickly and easily addressed. When you follow a Keto way of eating, it is a natural diuretic. Salt binds to ketones some of which is excreted through your urine and waste. Where salt goes, other electrolytes follow such as potassium, magnesium, calcium. Your body REQUIRES a MINIMUM of 3000mg-5000mg of salt on a daily basis when you follow LCHF / Keto. Eat olive or pickles. Drink the juice of both. Salt you food as heavily as you can stand it. One of the easiest ways to get enough salt every day is simply this: dissolve a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 1-2 cubes per day.

Also, I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group