Shake weights

Options
Do the shake weights really work? It's a 6 minute video and I read it only burns like 22 calories....but do you get good results as far as muscle definition? My main concern is to tone my triceps..help!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No. It's utterly useless.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Also, "definition" is mostly from low body fat, and exercises don't target fat loss. Full-body strength training is best (Nerd Fitness, NROLFW, etc). :+1:
  • bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had double total hip replacements end of last year and there's a whole lot I can't do just yet, but I do have resistant bands and 5lb weights. Also having knee surgery in July due to a meniscus tear...I just need to move! My dr suggested water aerobics!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor suggest physical therapy?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So do water aerobics. Will your insurance cover it now that you have a dr's prescription?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics are great. Give them a go.

I did those as my very first exercise ever at the age of 54. I had mashed potatoes instead of muscles :)

Because you have low muscle tone at the moment you will probably see improvements in your arms doing the class. It will also be really good for your hips and knees, improved flexibility, strengthen the surrounding muscle, and improve your balance.

The participants in the classes are usually quite friendly too.

If you decide to go, work out at your comfort level and look at improving over time.

Cheers, h.