Protein supplement recs please

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
So, it has come to this. I must admit the truth: there is NO WAY I can meet my custom macros (40-30-30 carb-protein-fat) without a protein supplement. I know this is silly, but I've avoided supplements like the plague. I told myself I could do it "naturally" by just changing my eating habits.
But I can see now that it's not going to happen. Quite frankly, I don't eat enough meat for it and I don't want to eat more meat than I do. I was vegetarian/vegan for too long -- I can't stomach it. As is, I only eat poultry and fish, which I had hoped was enough. But today, I've made a concerted effort to eat more protein. I'm still 55 grams under, not taking into consideration the extra exercise calories. If I wanted to eat my exercise calories, I would have to consume another 86 grams of protein. I don't know how to do it.

So, here comes the plea: I am going after the gym today to buy a protein supplement. I'm not happy about it, but with the intense new strength training program I'm adopting, I know that I'll need it. It's time to move beyond simple calorie counting.

What protein supplements do you recommend? Mind, I don't really like sweet things, but I could handle chocolate, probably. Also, I have issues with lactose, I would prefer to avoid anything that might give me a stomachache.

Thank you all for your help!

Replies

• zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese is high and protien. I don't take any protien supplements but I know there are a lot of good products on the market I'm sure someone here will have some suggestions.
  • thedreamhazer
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese is high and protien. I don't take any protien supplements but I know there are a lot of good products on the market I'm sure someone here will have some suggestions.

I can eat fat-free cottage cheese, but not enough to get what I need. I usually do keep it in the house though.

Mostly, I just can't do anything with full milk-fat. Sometimes, though, even the low fat stuff gets me sick. :\
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am the same way - was vegetarian, now eat poultry and fish. I use a chocolate whey protein supplement, but the name is slipping me! I'll check when I get home and let you know! :)
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was in your same boat back in February. Convinced I could do it au naturale and not use a whey protein to bulk up my macro nutrients. So such luck. I'd have to eat meat & eggs all day long, which I do eat but lets face it... it can get old!

So I did start w/ a chocolate protein powder. Some protein drinks really bothered my stomach and some of the ingredients were so-so in my opinion. I try to steer clear of chemicals and artificial sweeteners. I also tried Vega, which was okay and is a vegan option. I now use Shakeology, love it, use it daily. It works for me. I'm sure you'll find something you can stick w/ to give you that extra boost. But in the meantime... hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, string cheese & turkey roll-ups do help bulk your protein count up w/o adding on too many cals or fat! :D
  • gbargsley
    gbargsley Posts: 55
    Options
    My trainer has me on FastFuel meal replacement that is high protein. I have one shake on the days I workout. You can get it at any Lifetime Fitness.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use a hemp protein powder. It's very green, and tastes, well, green, but I like it. =) It doesn't have as much protein as a whey protein powder, but I find it is easier on my stomach. I've also been reading that the protein in hemp protein powder is absorbed better by the body, so you actually don't need as much compared to whey. Plus it has all your essential amino acids, is a good source of fiber, and doesn't have any additives.
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    Check out the maxitone range...It has great reviews, and is a market leading product, which is research proven..so they say. I've just got the starter pack for the sculptress range. www.maxitone.com
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I switch between two...Chocolate Shakeology 17 grams of protein. Aria is a women's protein. 50% Soy-50%Whey and 14 grams of protein.
  • daylynee
    daylynee Posts: 27
    Options
    I really like Lean Body Chocolate Whey, Pure Protein 100% Whey Vanille Creme, and Gold Standard Casein Chocolate Supreme. All of them are relatively low in fat & carbs, yet high in protein. BONUS - they taste great! Not at all chalky. They are awesome blended with natural almond or soy milk, peanut butter & banana (with chocolate), or fresh berries & greek yogurt (with vanilla). I don't eat meat and find I absolutely MUST supplement with a protein shake or bar 1-2x a day.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am reading this as I sit here eating a Pure Protein High Protein Bar with 20g of protein, 2 g sugar-Chocolate Peanut Butter. I eat them after workouts.

They also make frosty choclate Whey protein powder for shakes. I've been happy with them and you can find the Pure Protein line at Target.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eggs work really well too. Hard boil two or three and they're good to go with a bit of S&P
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Kefir/probiotics
    but I don't know how those will be for you with your lactose intolerance
    Eggs

A whey protein powder (preferably whey isolate) after your workouts; but only as a supplement instead of a meal replacement. You should still strive to get the bulk of your daily protein from poultry and fish, as you currently do; maybe increase your daily portion sizes.

The thing you have to watch out for when trying to increase protein intake is inadvertently jacking up your sodium intake. Lots of higher protein items like cottage cheese, deli meats and even some protein bars have loads of sodium in it.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    My all time favortie is vi shape milkshakes! They are lactose free and gluten free. They are sweet, but once you add frozen berries or natural peanut butter, or coffee, they even out. They are delicious!! 2 scoops has 90 calories, 1 fat, 1 sugar, 75mg sodium, 12 protein
  • thedreamhazer
    Options
    Thanks for all of the recommendations! This has been incredibly helpful!

I'm also wondering where to fit the supplement in to my daily intake. I don't want to do meal replacement, but I don't really snack. With around 100-130 calories per scoop, I'm looking for the best place to add this in.

Is protein best taken at a certain time of day? For breakfast? Before or after workouts? With meals, or between meals?
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm also doing the pure protein bars for a protein boost after workouts (to the OP, after working out is the best time if you're not using it as a meal replacement). Still interested in other shake options... would like to hear from some of the guys?? thanks.
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    I too drink Shakeology shakes from BeachBody.
    I make mine into a yummy chocolate smoothie every morning for breakfast. The healthiest meal of my day.
    Not only 18 or so grams of protein by also 70+ vitamins and minerals. No longer need a multi-vitamin.
    Love it.
    Would love to give more info. to anyone interested. It has become my GO TO!!!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I too drink Shakeology shakes from BeachBody.
    I make mine into a yummy chocolate smoothie every morning for breakfast. The healthiest meal of my day.
    Not only 18 or so grams of protein by also 70+ vitamins and minerals. No longer need a multi-vitamin.
    Love it.
    Would love to give more info. to anyone interested. It has become my GO TO!!!

Thanks, how much fiber, fat, and cals?
  • angiereeves33
    Options
    150 calories...
    1 gram of fat...
    400 mg of fiber I think... Apple fiber and Pea fiber I see on the list..

Also prebiotics, antioxidants, and Super Foods!