Macro business!!!

sansob
sansob Posts: 26 Member
How do I know how much macros I need. Please explain how do macros work.
Thanks

Replies

• bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    I'm also having trouble figuring that out....
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    My method: I don't care about macros. I try to get at least 46 grams of protein a day. I don't set carbs or fats. Following macros was too darn hard for me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Calories are king for weight loss.
    Macros are personal preference, and can help with health or fitness goals. If you're not sure, the MFP default is a fine place to start. Most people look at the protein and fat goals as minimums and let carbs take up the rest.

If you find you are struggling with hunger, playing around with your macros can help.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Calories are king for weight loss.
    Macros are personal preference, and can help with health or fitness goals. If you're not sure, the MFP default is a fine place to start. Most people look at the protein and fat goals as minimums and let carbs take up the rest.

If you find you are struggling with hunger, playing around with your macros can help.
    +2
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Protein .8-1g/pounds of body weight.

I set mine to 40/30/30 in the goal section.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    My method: I don't care about macros. I try to get at least 46 grams of protein a day. I don't set carbs or fats. Following macros was too darn hard for me.

That's really low protein.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Macros are just the main nutrients...carbs, fat, protein. They're what make up calories (carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram). Ultimately for weight loss calories are what matter, but many people work with their macro ratios to see what best makes them feel satiated or keeps them healthy. I aim for at least .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass, but I don't pay much attention to the other two. I always go over fat anyway.
  • sansob
    sansob Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks everyone!