Just starting should I increase calories

Options
5ft 7 male here .I was prob 320 at my heaviest doc said I was 310 when I went in January started losing in march 2017 as of today I'm 269. I lift 3 times a week and recently added some cardio at the end. My scale wobbles all over and I feel like nothing is happening anymore. I've been on the 1600 calories 2lbs per week. Feels like weight loss slowed down especially if I change my workout. Should I up my calories?

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Or add 1 more workout/cardio session a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food? Are you logging it here?

How do you feel? Is your energy or hunger different?
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm confused..if your weight loss has stalled and you still want to lose more weight, why would you want to increase your calories?
  • razzed311
    razzed311 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much all the same stuff I log/weigh everything I def don't go over
  • razzed311
    Options
    My hunger seems fine it's more just the scale not moving as much as I'm used to
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    How long has the "stall" been going on? I say just keep doing what you're doing as long as you feel okay. It's normal to have weeks with no weight loss.
  • razzed311
    Options
    Hard to describe doesn't really
    Seems like it's stalled but slowed down a lot feel like I'm not doing enough
  • razzed311
    Options
    Thanks yeah might just be my expectations. I was 310 when I started cutting calories. By slow i mean I keep fluctuating all over instead of a steady loss. I think it's just gotten easy to exercise and maintain my diet so I feel like I'm not doing enough without the struggle. Also my lifting has slowed scale losses so
    Much I used to lose 1-2 pounds every couple days .

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @razzed311 I been eating 1600 - 1700 and most of my exercise calories. I'm still losing weight under 170, and you can certainly lose from 269. Just log accurately and trust the numbers. I weigh every day and am accustomed to seeing the weight creep up during the week and fall off during the weekend. Monday to Monday I still seem to lose most weeks, although recently I had a low weight in May and didn't get lower until late in June. Don't give up.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It has slowed because your weight has gone down
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Update your weight under goals.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    Losing 1 to 2 lb every 1 to 2 days is not a strategy with a high likelihood of getting you to normal weight. Your weight loss will, and obviously in your case has, slowed down from that.

You have done great so far. Consider taking a deep breath, evaluating your expectations and long-term goals, rerunning the initial MFP setup, and pursuing a goal of somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds a week as opposed to a day... for an appreciable amount of time moving forward.

While you're losing the weight it is time to start experimenting with strategies, foods , exercise , daily activities and everything else you will have to deal with for many years to come while maintaining your weight loss.

Use a trending weight website or application and aim to lose somewhere between 0.5 percent and 1% of body weight per week....

Or keep doing what you're doing and when you start feeling that you can't keep up with it anymore remember that the option of choosing a slower saner path is always there for you.... and it might even be a path with less chances of producing negative side effects!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out, that could be the culprit. You muscles are retaining water to repair themselves. It should even out in a few weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    razzed311 wrote: »
    Thanks yeah might just be my expectations. I was 310 when I started cutting calories. By slow i mean I keep fluctuating all over instead of a steady loss. I think it's just gotten easy to exercise and maintain my diet so I feel like I'm not doing enough without the struggle. Also my lifting has slowed scale losses so
    Much I used to lose 1-2 pounds every couple days .

Losing 1-2 pounds every couple days is no longer a sustainable rate of loss at your current weight. What's your goal weight?

Chart your loss and look at the trend. The important thing is that the trend line is still going down (at a safe rate).

ynlgy0ui7leb.png