BMI question

Options
I just recently discovered the BMI calculator on MFP. According to my height of 5'1" I am supposed to weight between 97.9 - 132.3 lbs to be considered "healthy." How can anyone possibly believe that 97.9lbs is healthy for anyone? 120-130s I can see being correct, especially if someone of my height were to have any muscle at all. Who comes up with these ranges for healthy BMI and how accurate are they really? Maybe my image of a healthy weight is skewed? Anyone else have the same opinion as me that the lower range of these BMIs just seems to promote unhealthy body images?

Replies

• joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    they don't take into account body build or muscle, just height and weight. Go with what you feel is best for you. I strive to be 10-15 lbs above my "normal"
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Small frame versus big frame usually. It also assumes that the lighter side has very little body fat (for females probably around 10%) and lower than normal lean mass. Doesn't mean you should aim for it though.

If you get to 130, and feel great, then stop. If you feel you can still lose a few, go for it.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    BMI isn't the best to determine what is actually a healthy weight since it doesn't take into account body composition. However, someone who is skinny, has a small frame and doesn't have alot of lean muscle mass could weigh 98 pounds and still be considered "healthy."
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The lower end of my healthy BMI would be absolutely horrific on me. But I'm sure that there are plenty of 5'6'' women out there who look healthy and beautiful at 119.

Every body is different, my body is much happier near the top of the healthy range than it would be near the bottom.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't account for things that really matter when it comes to weight. You should focus more on how you feel about your body when you get to a certain weight.
  • rache12581
    rache12581 Posts: 54
    Options
    I found this on freedieting.com, I believe it to be true
    If a bodybuilder measured their BMI, they would show up as obese. This is obviously not true. It is difficult to apply a "one-size-fits-all" to unique body types. Some ethnic groups also have denser and heavier bone structure which can skew the results even more.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree! The lowest "healthy weight" for my height is in the 80's (I am 4'9). That is fine and dandy except I have a larger frame and a DD. Before I had kids and gained all of my weight, I weighed 115 and was SKINNY! Most said too skinny.... I agree with just reaching for what feels good!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is about 5'0" and weighs 95 pounds. She's got a very tiny frame and wears an A cup. While she is thin, she doesn't look TOO thin and she runs, so she's active and healthy.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, because if my BMI was at the top end of the "healthy" range (145lbs) I'd feel (and look) quite fat.

I'm 5 foot 4 inches, and 120 pounds (after having lost 52lbs!).

But I am toned and medium frame (rather than small build) so I doubt I could get down to 108lbs which was the lower end for my height unless I starved myself. But I can see that someone with small frame and not toned could be that and still be healthy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, because if my BMI was at the top end of the "healthy" range (145lbs) I'd feel (and look) quite fat.

I'm 5 foot 4 inches, and 120 pounds (after having lost 52lbs!).

But I am toned and medium frame (rather than small build) so I doubt I could get down to 108lbs which was the lower end for my height unless I starved myself. But I can see that someone with small frame and not toned could be that and still be healthy.

I'm with you. I'm 5'3" and hitting 140, and seeing pictures of myself, is what got me here. The top end of my BMI is nowhere I want to be. I didn't look good, I didn't feel good. Now, if I were a body builder (not likely at my age), I might look good at 140. As it is, I'm hoping to see 120-125 again with good muscle tone.