Starting weight doing c25k?

Options
I am interested in staring the c25k program. I am interested in the idea of running and know I am capable now of a lot more than I ever thought, but I am still having a little bit of a block at the idea of running at my weight. I am currently 244 down from 300. I keep thinking it will be too hard on my knees, blah, blah, blah. I am wondering at what weight did you start running? Hopefully I will get some inspiration that I am capable of doing this and don't need to lose 50 more pounds before I start. Thanks.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started weighing about 210 pounds, and I really felt it in my knees early on. The program helped me re-jump start my weight loss and after about a month when the scale started to move again my knees started feeling better. I still have some minor knee pain, a lot goes back to football and band in high school and college, but nothing to the point of not being able to run.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I was NOT a runner and I started at 221 with no real -pain- but I was battling asthma and I had just quit smoking (literally, I quit the week before I started running)

I'm on week 7 now and I LOVE IT! You can do it! This program is amazing and flexible. If a certain week is too difficult, then just do it again! Don't give up always push yourself!
  • dclove0912
    dclove0912 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My mom runs 3 miles 3 times a week and is about 180+ pounds; anybody can be a runner! Start out on a treadmill, or a flat path. Grass or dirt is best on knees, pavement worst, but it's still doable. C25k is a wonderful program; I hope you enjoy it!
  • rohobe
    rohobe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am in week 6. I think you can start at any weight! I love the program. I started at around 196. I may be slow for now but I'm doing it and that is what counts. There is a great facebook page that is very inspiring, if you are on there. It really helps me keep going. Good luck! I promise you CAN do it! :)
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started running this past November at a higher weight than that. I am currently about 15 pounds less than you and am still running I think you can do it. From what I understand about the program it starts you off slow and if youre not comfortable moving on don't move on. I also think form comes into account too. I notice when my knees or something start to hurt its because I left poor form during the run take over and must fix it. Give it a try and see how you like it.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started running this past November at a higher weight than that. I am currently about 15 pounds less than you and am still running I think you can do it. From what I understand about the program it starts you off slow and if youre not comfortable moving on don't move on. I also think form comes into account too. I notice when my knees or something start to hurt its because I left poor form during the run take over and must fix it. Give it a try and see how you like it.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I started at around 250. My best advice is in order to protect yourself from any pain or injuries, go to a running store and get fitted properly for running shoes that will fit you. In past attempts I always struggled with shinsplints. But since I got fitted properly this time I haven't had them once! So, don't let excuses hold you back. Get some good shoes and just start running.
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Two years ago i did the program the first time.. i was around 280... and did my first 5K...I've started again.. and over 300... just start slow... repeat weeks if you need to.. and get good shoes!!!