Size 4?

Options
Okay so I'm 5'9, I weigh 206 pounds and I am a size 10-12. Does anyone know how much I need to lose to be a size four? I'm trying to lose weight right now my goal is 125-130!!!

Replies

• daniellerusbult
    daniellerusbult Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm 5'8" and 196, but I carry my weight very evenly. I'm a size 14-16 because of my waist (apple shape). At my most fit, I was 145 and didn't have much excess fat, but I was still a 6-8. Hope that helps!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,953 Member
    Options
    It depends on your genetics and your own effort.

One day at a time. Worry about it when you get closer. It is a ways off.

I'm 5'8" 142 and wear 8 US.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you have that number in mind? Size 4 is very small and a lot of people won't ever fit in there because their hips are just too wide. I'm a 5'8" hourglass of 140 lbs and am a size 10.
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert as I'm pretty short, but most of my tall female friends wear size 6+ even if they're quite thin. Just because a size 4 sounds like an ideal size doesn't mean it's YOUR ideal size. I wouldn't worry about the size on the tags but instead how you feel and how clothes fit
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and currently 221 wearing a 16-18. My thinnest was 128lbs and I still wore a size 8. A few years ago I was 170 and wore a 12 and had people telling me I was getting too thin.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    5'7" hourglass body type. When I was around 150-160lb (fit) I wore a size 10 in jeans. Also the best fitting jeans for me were from Brazil because they gave more room in the butt, now it's easier to find the cut in North America as "curvy" style I think.
    I can't see myself EVER being below a size 8. Even hitting an 8 seems questionable. I have way too much boobs and butt.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sizing and body type is all over the place. I am 5'2", 123, and usually wear a 6p--I have broad shoulders and hips and right now, not enough muscle. There are muscular women my height who weigh more and wear a 2 or 4. Instead of the size why dont you find the weight where you are healthy and feel good?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 135lbs-ish, and wear a 4...occasionally a 6 (more recently).

5'9 is quite tall. I not sure 125-130 is a great weight for your height. Why is a size 4 important to you?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a slim, athletic teen, 5'-6" and 125 lbs, I was a size 10. Just some perspective.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 and between 166-174(weight fluctuations) and I wear some 6s but mostly 8s. some 10s I can wear if they are made small. but even when I was 140lbs I wore a sz 9/10(this was before junior sizes obviously). I have big hips and a big butt. I dont think even if I get back down to 140 I will be a sz 4. I was a sz 5 when I was 11 and weighed about 110.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Super hard to say. Depends on your body fat percentage, overall physique and shape. I'm 5'4" and 138-140. I wear a size 4 dress and size 6 pants. At 128 I can wear size 4 pants.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    thing is you may never be able to wear a 4 its going to depends on a lot of things and Ive noticed most places I have shopped that sz 4s are hardly ever in stock or places dont carry them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would really encourage not focusing on a particular size, and instead focusing on how you feel and how happy you are with your body. Sizes vary a LOT and are basically arbitrary. In my experience, I've found more variation in smaller sizes than in larger sizes. I am just under 5 feet tall, about 115 pounds. I have shirts everywhere from a youth small to a women's medium and pants from 0-4. Chasing a particular size is really going to be frustrating.
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Please don't be encouraged to be a Size 4 by people like Mama June (I'm guessing here)! She's had so much surgery, it's pathetic. Let your body tell you what size feels good, and leave it at that. It's just a number. It doesn't mean anything. :wink: Michelle
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I have no idea who Mama June is but there is nothing wrong with wanting to be around a size 4. I find a size 6 to be a bit too large.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I was a Size 10 to 11 at 172lbs and 5'7....sooo....Your height (assuming you end up with "moderate" muscle) should put you around 140 to 147lbs to hit a Size 4. Since even sizes are "misses" they already assume a more adult body rather than odd sizes that assume a "teen" body type. That might be lower than you'd need, though depending on your build.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Size 4 isn't that small to those dissenting her goal. I was a Size 3 at around 124lbs and 5'7 and was a very healthy weight. She'd obviously need to stop at 135lb-ish max to stay healthy at her height, though.

But how about just answering simple questions with an answer instead of playing "armchair mom"? I mean... it's not like she asked how to fit a Size 2 in three months or something crazy.

*Edited to add: I'm talking US sizes on this*
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Size 4 isn't that small to those dissenting her goal. I was a Size 3 at around 124lbs and 5'7 and was a very healthy weight. She'd obviously need to stop at 135lb-ish max to stay healthy at her height, though.

But how about just answering simple questions with an answer instead of playing "armchair mom"? I mean... it's not like she asked how to fit a Size 2 in three months or something crazy.

Agreed. Think it was just that one person though.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Two years ago, when my daughter was 16 years old, we did CrossFit together. She was 5'8", only 17% body fat (athlete range), and she still ranged between 150 and 155 pounds and wore a size 8 at the minimum.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    cjv73 wrote: »
    Two years ago, when my daughter was 16 years old, we did CrossFit together. She was 5'8", only 17% body fat (athlete range), and she still ranged between 150 and 155 pounds and wore a size 8 at the minimum.

Right. The end weight or size is kind of arbitrary, especially for people who have always been overweight. I always weighed more than what my "size" suggested. The one time I recall that I was undeniably "unhealthy thin" was right after I had my only son and lost massive amounts of weight (I didn't breastfeed) and somehow ended up a Size 00 and 110lbs at 5'7. Since I ate constantly, people consistently asked me if I was doing drugs.

But this poster asked a very generalized question and *if* she's always been overweight, but I she's probably trying to imagine a size range and weight and the weird "worried" comments are a little presumptuous. I'm not directing that at you, btw... your daughter's stars are just an example of how you can weigh more/wear a larger size and still be super-fit. After all... it comes back to what we've all discussed on other threads regarding waist to hip ratios, build, rib cage structure etc. Even at "Double Zero" and Waifish... I'm betting my waist was never under 27". Because I don't have one. Dudes forget that women's sizing and bodies aren't glued to fat vs. thin like theirs tend to be. (There was a whole debate I was reading in a fitness thread the other night where a guy [a fitness trainer?] clearly didn't understand what the difference was between given body "shape" and fat loss goals in women... so I'm still mulling it over and now bloviating here) .

Sorry for the blabberings, but I'm long winded. Your daughter's specs are a great example of how a "size" that's small can still equal measurable weights not expected.