Food Addiction??

Options

Replies

• breadaddict
    breadaddict Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you and have similar times. Except I do not really think about food so much. I just think about the pleasure I am going to get out of eating this or that. I wonder... is the food filling up a void for you? Why is it so much the center of your life? We eat to live, not live to eat - right? I wonder how these habits get formed when food has become such an important part of our lives? I feel that when food becomes such a fixation, it is simply because it is either filling up a void (perhaps a need for intimacy or discomfort from loneliness) that distracts your thoughts and attention - thereby displacing the issues you may be running away from. Just a thought!!! But everyone loves food - we are not alone in this!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    you're preachin' to the choir, girlfriend.
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's not an addiction - it's an obsession. There's a difference.

The remedy: find a new obsession to replace it, or at least to drown it out in your mind. Hopefully, it will be something productive, perhaps conducive to weight loss (e.g. exercise), perhaps helpful in some other way.

One thing you might think about: being on MFP all the time probably doesn't help you to stop thinking about food. Just a thought.

sorry, but this is awful advice.

for people who suffer from ANY form of addiction, whether it be food, drugs, alcohol etc. the worst thing you can possibly to is transfer your addiction. one of the first things they teach on the way to recovery is to find a way to cope that is non- addictive and non- habit forming.

if you transfer your addiction to exercise, it can also have adverse effects and cause you tobe come bulimic, anorexic and/ or severely underweight.

the best solution (that i have found) is to seek out a safe, non-threatening way to cope with everyday stresses. if a walk is a good way for you, then fantastic, so long as it doesn't become a way for you to exercsie that element of self-destruction and control that comes with the food addiction.

it's hard for people who don't suffer from it to fully understand, but there are plenty of us that do.... i'm so glad you had the courage to ask. if coming onto MFP is a way for you to cope, reflect, vent, seek advice and generally commisserate with other who suffer the same thing, then i think it is fantastic that you are here.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

The remedy: find a new obsession to replace it, or at least to drown it out in your mind. Hopefully, it will be something productive, perhaps conducive to weight loss (e.g. exercise), perhaps helpful in some other way.

One thing you might think about: being on MFP all the time probably doesn't help you to stop thinking about food. Just a thought.

for people who suffer from ANY form of addiction, whether it be food, drugs, alcohol etc. the worst thing you can possibly to is transfer your addiction. one of the first things they teach on the way to recovery is to find a way to cope that is non- addictive and non- habit forming.

if you transfer your addiction to exercise, it can also have adverse effects and cause you tobe come bulimic, anorexic and/ or severely underweight.

the best solution (that i have found) is to seek out a safe, non-threatening way to cope with everyday stresses. if a walk is a good way for you, then fantastic, so long as it doesn't become a way for you to exercsie that element of self-destruction and control that comes with the food addiction.

it's hard for people who don't suffer from it to fully understand, but there are plenty of us that do.... i'm so glad you had the courage to ask. if coming onto MFP is a way for you to cope, reflect, vent, seek advice and generally commisserate with other who suffer the same thing, then i think it is fantastic that you are here.

yeah i completely agree with you. very well said.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Two cents from a "recovered" addict....

I used to think about food all the time - think about dessert while having dinner - think about the popcorn at the movie theatre - think about ice cream as I would drive past Dairy Queen....

I used to wake up in the morning remembering what I ate right before bed... feel quilty over it... and then try and find some comfort food for breakfast...

It just doesn't happen anymore. I plan my meals, enjoy them, and get on with life. I never sit down in front of the tv anymore with food. I used to curl up on the couch with a movie and ice cream - I still do that, just without the ice cream.

So what changed?

I think what changed was my realizing that the food cannot truly comfort me, and never will (I mean how long does a chocoalte chip cookie last? 30 seconds?). I really had to make the connection that the food could never be comforting enough, because I could not eat enough to satisfy what I needed - I know it sounds cliched, but I talk things out with my friends, confide in my husband, journal, or take a bath to de-stress. I try and really face 'why' I was thinking that I needed to eat - what was I trying to accomplish? satisfy? comfort? mask?

Tonight I had dinner out with two good friends - and the dessert menus rolled around. I didn't even bother, because why would I order dessert? I was satisfied from my pecan crusted halibut. So why order dessert? I figured I wanted it to prolong the dinner; to prolong the time with my friends. So I recognized that, and we just chatted for another hour over tea. Sans dessert.

When I want to eat outside of meal time, or have a desire for "comfort food" I really try and ask myself why it is I am wanting this, and I can usually uncover something (my Mom was condescending, I am stressed at work, the kids were leaving my frazzled, etc). I know it sounds corny, but is has immensely improved my relationships as well, and my general level of happiness (although I'm always a pretty upbeat person). Why did I have this strange relationship with food? I've finally figured it out (or so I think - as a death in the family over Christmas brought back some stress eating - it's always a balancing act of awareness and action).

I hope this helps someone.... it's just my experience....
    :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same way! I think about food constantly! I mean ALL day. I think about what I'm going to eat, what I'm going to buy at the grocery store, I watch all the food-shows. I obsessively search recipes online. I can be on Epicureous.com for hours. I know the calorie content of basically every single food on the planet. I look forward to eating like someone would look forward to a vacation. I get disspointed when its over. It really takes a lot of energy to think about food all the time and I wish I could be normal- this is exhausting. My husband thinks I'm weird- he never craves certain foods and barely thinks about food at all. He just eats when he is hungry and stops when he is full. The problem with food addiction is that there is no possible way to practice "abstinence". You need food to survive. An alchoholic can put down the liquor and never touch it again and wouldn't die. We have to eat everyday otherwise we will die. We are constantly giving ourselves the thing that we are addicted to- over and over again each day. Imagine if a herion addict had to do that? Imagine trying to have "a healthy relationship with heroin and having to use a bit of it every day??!!"

That is EXACTLY how I feel!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Good morning Wolfena. Bwah ha ha, I found you thinking about food at 4 AM (my time....)

I say it's ok to think about food. Now I know this sounds like a different approach. But, really - you know how it takes hours to plan for and then shop for a big meal? And then more hours to prepare it, and then clean up after it, and only 15 minutes MAX to eat it? So really, you are spending a good part of a day thinking about food anyway. You have to.

But you read what one person said about it only taking 15 seconds to eat that cookie and 40 minutes on the elliptical to burn it off? It is a mindset. It gets easier. Honest.

I have ADD. I obsess about everythng. Getting diagnosed was HUGE for me. My life became so much easier once I was medicated. It is easier for me to "switch" my thinking now. But I feel your frustration, it was hard for me to make the switch in my mind to "I DON'T WANT TO WEIGH 205 EVER AGAIN!"

Now I try to always go in that direction. I don't always make the best decision, but I usually do. I didn't get to that mindset all-at-once. It takes time and persistence. :flowerforyou:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Please note: a central assumption in my argument is that food IS NOT addictive. Food is too broad a category to be addictive. Perhaps certain molecules in certain foods are addictive. But not food itself. It can be a subject of obsessive thinking, and the action of overeating can be a destructive habit.

It's common for psychiatric patients with obsessions to go through a process of training themselves to think about or do something else when they are afflicted with obsessive thoughts, or when they catch themselves with a strong desire to engage in a destructive habit.

At the extreme, someone might have OCD about food. The term "OCD" is also grossly misused. It DOES NOT mean obsessive thinking AND compulsive behavior. The patient feels convinced that if they do not respond to the obsessive thoughts in a certain way, that something bad will happen. No one said they had OCD about food, and I suspect that few of us do. But just to consider the treatment and why "transferrence" is not bad even for this extreme case, some doctors would treat OCD by denying you the opportunity to react as you feel you must until you realize that no, nothing bad will happen. Again, the point is to train the mind that the body can respond differently to the mental stimuli, until you break the circuit that triggers the destructive response.

So I stand by my case that changing the way we react to an obsessive train of thought, call it what you will, is NOT bad. As for the alternative behaviors, if you decide to run or go to a fitness class instead of obsessing about food and/or overeating, it can only serve you well. Not everybody is so extreme in ALL of their behaviors that their substitute activity would become as overwhelming. And exercise is just one possibility. What's wrong with knitting? solving a sudoku or a crossword? reading short stories? All of these things can be habit forming. And not destructive unless they make you feel worse than the behavior you're trying to stop.

But deliberately obsessing about food probably won't help you to break the circuit between obsessive thoughts and destructive actions unless you can identify a constructive response to your obsession! For instance, go to culinary school! (Often the people who spend the most time preparing food are the least compulsive about eating it.) Otherwise, you may be better served by finding another hobby.
  • tiggerlilly1001
    Options
    I hate when I eat foods that not good for me. I did a good work out today. My husband went to lunch with his boss. So I am home only. So what you do to not eat bads foods?
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Two cents from a "recovered" addict....

I used to think about food all the time - think about dessert while having dinner - think about the popcorn at the movie theatre - think about ice cream as I would drive past Dairy Queen....

I used to wake up in the morning remembering what I ate right before bed... feel quilty over it... and then try and find some comfort food for breakfast...

It just doesn't happen anymore. I plan my meals, enjoy them, and get on with life. I never sit down in front of the tv anymore with food. I used to curl up on the couch with a movie and ice cream - I still do that, just without the ice cream.

So what changed?

I think what changed was my realizing that the food cannot truly comfort me, and never will (I mean how long does a chocoalte chip cookie last? 30 seconds?). I really had to make the connection that the food could never be comforting enough, because I could not eat enough to satisfy what I needed - I know it sounds cliched, but I talk things out with my friends, confide in my husband, journal, or take a bath to de-stress. I try and really face 'why' I was thinking that I needed to eat - what was I trying to accomplish? satisfy? comfort? mask?

Tonight I had dinner out with two good friends - and the dessert menus rolled around. I didn't even bother, because why would I order dessert? I was satisfied from my pecan crusted halibut. So why order dessert? I figured I wanted it to prolong the dinner; to prolong the time with my friends. So I recognized that, and we just chatted for another hour over tea. Sans dessert.

When I want to eat outside of meal time, or have a desire for "comfort food" I really try and ask myself why it is I am wanting this, and I can usually uncover something (my Mom was condescending, I am stressed at work, the kids were leaving my frazzled, etc). I know it sounds corny, but is has immensely improved my relationships as well, and my general level of happiness (although I'm always a pretty upbeat person). Why did I have this strange relationship with food? I've finally figured it out (or so I think - as a death in the family over Christmas brought back some stress eating - it's always a balancing act of awareness and action).

I hope this helps someone.... it's just my experience....

Thank you for you post. I have been suffering from binge eating for almost 2 years now. I exercise regularly so have managed to only put on 10 pounds. (I'd hate to see what it would be if I didn't exercise!) Still, on a 5'3 frame, I hate what I see in the mirror. I have fat where I never had it before all due to bingeing on junk food. I do good for about a week and then binge for 1-3 days. I hate it! I hate how I feel after stuffing my face and the guilt I have when I go to bed. Then the resolve to do better the next morning. I still haven't quite figured out why I do it though, so it's really frustrating. I just want to eat normal again and quit worrying about food and weight 24/7. I know it's possible, I've seen others do it. But it is not easy. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and that there is hope.
  • Saphire26
    Options
    Ok first i really love this site it is awsome, second i do things allittle different, i do atkins. Before this i used to be a food monkey, just start dinner and think of what else i can shove down before bed. You really need to think of eating to live ,not living to eat. It might be the kinds of food you are eating and no you don't have to eat like a rabbitt. I never go hungry and there is so many different foods i can eat. I love it. It is also important to reward yourself when you have accomplished a goal, new clothes,even out to eat. the first thing i done when i lost my first 30lbs was i went horseback riding for the first time. another trick is if you are still hungry drink water and eat cheese cubes or reach for a salad. Yes i know easier said than done. good luck:wink:
  • Wolfena
    Options
    As I was sitting in the Doctors office this afternoon (for THREE hours!) I read an article in some magazine about food addiction and some lab tests they did that show people who feel addicted to food are "treatable" with Leptin - that there's (can't remember what it was) something that their body is missing that this Leptin replaces and causes you to only want to eat when you're hungry.

I wonder if this is true? I should do some research (I will!) I just thought I'd post it here because this thread popped up and the article was fresh in my memory.

:smile:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! I feel the same way!!!!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • gillbush
    Options
    god iam the same, iam so glad other people feel like this, as all my friends dont under stand. They eat to survive. I eat because i really enjoy it. I love talking about it, buying it, cooking it and more so eating it. I evan be came a chef then restaurant manager because i love being around it. I can spend hours in asda just looking at all the different foods there is and thinking hiow good it would taste.
    I feel i really do have a problem, my life revolves around food.
    I really want things to change.
    A month ago i saw a hypnotherapist to try and help me with my obsesion with food, i feel it really hepled me understand alot about my self and how i thought about food. Since then i have lost just over 7lb but i am not dieting i am changing my life, if i want to eat some thing i eat it, just in moderation. i feel great.
    I have a long way to go but i have to it for my health. xxx
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    This is so true - I actually started the mental change myself about 2 months before the physical. I was sitting at the table with my plate in front of me and it hit me.

I need to eat to live, not live to eat.....I've been trying to cope with that, but with the holidays (you know that time of year when we celebrate with food food and food) am just getting back into it.

At least I'm not alone
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thank you for you post. I have been suffering from binge eating for almost 2 years now. I exercise regularly so have managed to only put on 10 pounds. (I'd hate to see what it would be if I didn't exercise!) Still, on a 5'3 frame, I hate what I see in the mirror. I have fat where I never had it before all due to bingeing on junk food. I do good for about a week and then binge for 1-3 days. I hate it! I hate how I feel after stuffing my face and the guilt I have when I go to bed. Then the resolve to do better the next morning. I still haven't quite figured out why I do it though, so it's really frustrating. I just want to eat normal again and quit worrying about food and weight 24/7. I know it's possible, I've seen others do it. But it is not easy. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and that there is hope.

I'm glad you can relate - don't feel alone - I was that way for 30 years (and maintained a healthy weight until I gained 50 lbs in pregnancy) so I can relate to you! For me, I really found that in the moment I needed to think of what was going on. It was hard to pin point at first, but then it got easier. I also found that stream of conciousness journally (I know it sounds corny - but without thinking, you just write any words that come to your mind) and things started to reveal themselves to me.

Good luck - I wrote "recovered" because after being in a good place for almost a year, my niece died over Christmas, and I was right back in the box of choclates to "feel better". With that said, I'm back with healthier behaviours again! Just because you are slim, doesn't mean you don't struggle - and I can appreciate that, and empathize.
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I'm glad you can relate - don't feel alone - I was that way for 30 years (and maintained a healthy weight until I gained 50 lbs in pregnancy) so I can relate to you! For me, I really found that in the moment I needed to think of what was going on. It was hard to pin point at first, but then it got easier. I also found that stream of conciousness journally (I know it sounds corny - but without thinking, you just write any words that come to your mind) and things started to reveal themselves to me.

Good luck - I wrote "recovered" because after being in a good place for almost a year, my niece died over Christmas, and I was right back in the box of choclates to "feel better". With that said, I'm back with healthier behaviours again! Just because you are slim, doesn't mean you don't struggle - and I can appreciate that, and empathize.

Thanks for all your insight. It truely does help to here others stories and know that there is a way out. Last night in fact, I had already eaten and my husband got home almost two hours later, so I was dishing up his food. I really wanted to eat again. The food had tasted so yummy! But then I remembered what you wrote and tried to think what was really going on. I was tired and wanted the comfort of food. But, I didn't. I got busy doing something else and then it was time for bed. If I can just stop and focus like that more often, I think it will really help. So thank you.

I 'm sorry about your niece. My mom, who was my best friend, died very suddenly April of 2002. Sometimes I wonder if that is one of the reasons I binge. Even though I didn't start until 5 years after she died. I don't miss her any less than I did then. Sometimes I wonder if it's even more, as my children are growing up and she's not here to talk to and share it with. Losing somone close sure stinks!
  • AJCM
    Options

Thanks for all your insight. It truely does help to here others stories and know that there is a way out. Last night in fact, I had already eaten and my husband got home almost two hours later, so I was dishing up his food. I really wanted to eat again. The food had tasted so yummy! But then I remembered what you wrote and tried to think what was really going on. I was tired and wanted the comfort of food. But, I didn't. I got busy doing something else and then it was time for bed. If I can just stop and focus like that more often, I think it will really help. So thank you.

I 'm sorry about your niece. My mom, who was my best friend, died very suddenly April of 2002. Sometimes I wonder if that is one of the reasons I binge. Even though I didn't start until 5 years after she died. I don't miss her any less than I did then. Sometimes I wonder if it's even more, as my children are growing up and she's not here to talk to and share it with. Losing somone close sure stinks!

First, I'm so very, very sorry to hear of your mother's passing - what a heartbreaking loss. I would imagine it gets harder, especially as you say, with your children missing a grandmother as well.

I think missing your mom could be a MAJOR part of binging. Next time you feel like eating something that you know is not out of hunger, see if you can figure it out.

Second, AWESOME job on not having the second plate of dinner by realizing you wanted the comfort - do you find something else comforting to do? Hug your hubby? Sit with him and chat? Hot bath? I know this all might sound corny, but I really do find it works!

My hubby noted that evenings after I talk to a certain "relative" of mine (with whom I have a strained relationship), I go get a snack. Then I noted that 9 times out of 10, after speaking with or seeing this person, I feel worse about my self. Making this realization has changed (1) how I speak with and to this person, and (2) made the relationship better because I try and make a real effort to change the negative patterns to positive (on my end), and oddly enough, it is making HER more positive as well, and (3) After speaking with her, I have a little therapy session with my hubby to talk it out instead of eating.
    :ohwell:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Shopping at a fresh food market ... washing the produce..... peeling ..... chopping ..... cooking ..... seasoning, .... serving it on a pretty plate .... and the TV off .... and sitting down at the dining table ..... with people ..... is all part of the eating experience.

This is beautiful. This is why I LOVE to cook. I find it very therapeutic and I too love to find new healthy recipes and share them with friends and family. Seeing their reactions to something so healthy is so rewarding!

I don't know about giving up anything, :noway: I'm not there yet but it does make sense. Now that I take the time to make real food and shop for real whole food, the rest of it is not nearly as appealing as it once was! :drinker:
  • Wolfena
    Options

Shopping at a fresh food market ... washing the produce..... peeling ..... chopping ..... cooking ..... seasoning, .... serving it on a pretty plate .... and the TV off .... and sitting down at the dining table ..... with people ..... is all part of the eating experience.

This is beautiful. This is why I LOVE to cook. I find it very therapeutic and I too love to find new healthy recipes and share them with friends and family. Seeing their reactions to something so healthy is so rewarding!

I don't know about giving up anything, :noway: I'm not there yet but it does make sense. Now that I take the time to make real food and shop for real whole food, the rest of it is not nearly as appealing as it once was! :drinker:

The problem for me is that it is no longer enjoyable - it really is like an obsession... it's all I can think about. As soon as I'm done eating there's a severe let-down and feeling of depression. The rest of my life is definitely affected negatively because of the relationship I have with food.