Do you log all your steps

Options
angelsja
angelsja Posts: 860 Member
Ok so I have a fitness watch that isn't compatible with mfp so after doing the school run or walking the dogs etc I will log my activity I usually do about 10k steps burning about 500 Cal's my question is I can easily do Upton another 1k just pottering around the house doing laundry going to the loo and back etc should I be logging this as well some days there isn't much cal difference but other days it can be a couple of 100 cal.

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I use a sync'd activity tracker so it does what it does. In your case, I would probably only edit my steps later if the difference was significant (say more than 2000 steps). Otherwise I would just consider it a bonus to cover any logging inaccuracies.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log any physical exercise you do, and let your activity level take care of the rest.
  • AKAmplished_Pearl
    AKAmplished_Pearl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My Apple Watch is synced to MyFitnessPal, thus tracking it for me.
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Definitely log ALL your activity at the end of the day. You've done them and deserve to see them. It will help you average out the days better. Great job doing more!
  • malibu927
    Options
    duncan04 wrote: »
    Definitely log ALL your activity at the end of the day. You've done them and deserve to see them. It will help you average out the days better. Great job doing more!

Except that there is still a good amount of activity accounted for in your activity level, so logging things like walking around the house to do chores can result in double-counting.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My Garmin syncs my steps and adjusts the amount of calories I am given as it works out not all steps are excercise steps. On average I do approx 10 - 13k steps a day and get from 250 to 350 calories adjusted over to MFP. Yesterday I did 21k steps and got just under 500 adjusted calories.
  • angelsja
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Except that there is still a good amount of activity accounted for in your activity level, so logging things like walking around the house to do chores can result in double-counting.

No chance of me double logging as I check what my watch says before I do anymore walking and log the difference as soon as I get back but today I've burnt off about 500 walking to school and walking dogs but I've also been walking about the house doing chores and my watch says 640 Cal's burnt so should I log the extra 140 even though they aren't strictly exercise calories burnt?
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My fitbit is linked, but it never shows in MFP. What am I doing wrong?
  • malibu927
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

No chance of me double logging as I check what my watch says before I do anymore walking and log the difference as soon as I get back but today I've burnt off about 500 walking to school and walking dogs but I've also been walking about the house doing chores and my watch says 640 Cal's burnt so should I log the extra 140 even though they aren't strictly exercise calories burnt?

No. As I said, things like doing chores are already built into your activity level. That's what I meant by double-counting what you burned doing those things. Even someone on sedentary has a few thousand steps built into their day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A fair number of those steps are already included in your activity level, even if you're set to sedentary...if I rememer correctly, sedentary assumes up to around 5,000 steps. Your activity level is also going to include daily chores, etc.

The only activity I ever logged was deliberate exercise outside of my activity level.
  • angelsja
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A fair number of those steps are already included in your activity level, even if you're set to sedentary...if I rememer correctly, sedentary assumes up to around 5,000 steps. Your activity level is also going to include daily chores, etc.

The only activity I ever logged was deliberate exercise outside of my activity level.

Oh I see so should I just not log my walking at all then since I do it everyday I average at least 10k steps Monday-Friday
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I log zero. My cals are set to my activity level. If for some reason I get unwanted weight change on average then I just adjust my calories accordingly.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    No I don't log all my steps. I just log what I consider exercise.

So all the walking I do to the photocopier, to the kitchen or toilets at work, around the house, in the grocery store, etc. ... do not get logged.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No, my steps log me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

You should probably log deliberate walks (to school/dogs). However, when you signed up for MFP you chose an activity level....even sedentary people take steps (generally less than 5,000). So logging each and every step as exercise will result in double counting.

"Syncing" a device allows it to compare your stated activity level against your actual activity.....then you get credit for the difference.
  • angelsja
    Options
    My device isn't compatible with mfp so can't sync it :( it is pretty much the same as mfp though as walk to school and back burns 150 according to my watch and 149 according to mfp so pretty accurate